May/June Update

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

May/June Update

Post by Joe Way »

Dear friends,
It is getting closer. Here is my latest update-Jarkko & Eija can't post it on the front page until Tuesday, but wanted you to have the information now. There is still time to register if you haven't yet pulled the trigger.

All of the event plans are being finalized and it is looking like we will be having a very fun event with good performances. The latest news is that Sylvie Simmons plans to come and, in addition to reading an excerpt from her new biography of Leonard, she will be performing some Cohen covers as well as some original songs on one of the evenings. Some of us got a little preview of her performance in Las Vegas, and I can safely say that we are in for a treat. We have also added Bill Camplin, a very well-respected local musician, songwriter and club owner. I wish that we had time to take in a performance at his club, Cafe Carpe-but we'll have to do that another time.

So the program thus far:

Thursday: Registration and Reception, 4 PM-The Lowell Center Upper Lounge
Concert: Music Hall, 8 PM, John Klobberdanz; Bill Camplin; & possibly some songs by Ali Hughes (There is a chance that this performance may be outside at Union Terrace on Lake Mendota)
Friday: UW-Madison campus walking tour, 10:30 AM
Leonard Cohen Films, 1:00 PM, Marquee Cinema, Union South
Concert: Music Hall, 8 PM, The Fingers with Louka Patenoude; Joy Dragland
Saturday: Morning-free time for Capitol Square Farmer's Market
Open Mic Session, 2 PM, Lowell Center, Dining Room
Concert: Music Hall, 8 PM, Syvie Simmons; Ali & the Thieves, "Leonard Cohen Koans."
Sunday: Morning & Early afternoon free time,
2 PM-Syvie Simmons biography reading, Leonard Cohen discussion
3 PM-Carillon Concert with Leonard Cohen songs performed by UW Carillonaire, Lyle Anderson, Carillon Bell tower, top of Bascom Hill.
Reception and Dance, 7 PM, Great Hall, Memorial Union; Yid Vicious-Klezmer band

There is still plenty of time for new registrations, so if you've been on the fence, there is still opportunity. Now is also the time to make your reservations at the Lowell Center, there are still plenty of rooms, but by the end of June we will need to release them to the general public.

Also, if you plan to join us in Chicago for the pre-event, please make your room reservation now with Patrick at the Comfort Suites. Here is his contact info:

Patrick W. Kennedy
Director of Sales
Comfort Suites - Michigan Avenue/Loop
320 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60601
dos@comfortsuiteschicago.com
312.204.6902 direct

I'm starting to make the arrangements for the post-event tours to Taliesin and Ten Chimneys so please contact me if you are interested in participating.

Anne & I are really thrilled to be able to host this wonderful group of Cohenites and we eagerly look forward to the summer."
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Maarten

Re: May/June Update

Post by Maarten »

Joe and Anne,
Thanks once again for the update! I'm thrilled to see the schedule with some new additions. I'll send you an email about my stay in Chicago/Madison soon.

Warm regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It looks wonderful. So glad that Sylvie will be there, too! Was looking forward to [hopefully!] seeing the Conspiracy of Beards, too! Did they need to be removed?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you for the update Joe and Ann! Such a full schedule with so many interesting activities, performances and performers. Looks like something for everyone. Looking forward to this!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Lizzy & Mary,
Yes, Conspiracy of Beards is still invited. I have to ask Dick who saw them a little while ago to refresh my memory of why they can't attend. I think that it was too many other committments. As you probably know, we don't have a lot of money to defer expenses. I guess, from what I remember, they might still try to come.

Anyway, it will be a very good time. The students, for the most part, left after this weekend so it is a different atmosphere here-more relaxed, casual, more able to sit by Lake Mendota and look out over the beautiful scene. We had lunch there earlier this week-and it is such a beautiful setting-wind surfers, sailors, folks with dogs at the shore-great beer from the Union. We are designing the nametags to make sure that all folks have access.

Please let me know about the post event trips to Taliesin and Ten Chimneys-I want to know if we need a bus.

Much love to all,

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Have counted myself in on both ends of the Event itself... and all the side trips you've mentioned. If going that far for beauty, might as well take in all that can be taken in, right?
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Cristina from Italy will be participating in Chicago, plus the tours, as well.
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you, Lizzy. I'm sure you'll enjoy the tours. If anyone needs to contact me with questions or help with any arrangement, please feel free to email me at:

jbway9333@gmail.com

I also meant to mention that somehow I didn't put rooms in the block for the Tuesday after the event (the day of the Ten Chimneys tour)-I have now corrected that so that anyone who wants to stay at Lowell on Tuesday night is able to. If you need help in changing your reservation, please let me know and I'll do it for you.

All the best,

Joe
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi Joe and Anne,

Please book me in for both post-event tours, Taliesin and Ten Chimneys, and whatever we're doing pre-event as well, inc meet-ups in Chicago (and blues clubs, I hope!) A friend of mine who lives not too far from Chicago has highly recommended the Chicago Institute of Art for a visit, if art grabs you. I will arrive in Chicago on 30 July, and will be looking to travel to Madison on 1st August.

This is a bit of a catch up email. I've been completely buried in writing my first book, and haven't done much else, including checking in to the Forum. At the finalising /editing stage now, it's due to be published in January 13.

I have a few questions, please, sorry, maybe I have missed these things or forgotten:
1. do you plan to arrange a bus to take a number of us from Chicago - Madison? If not, what other arrangements can I make? (Public bus/train?) It's only about 100 miles or so isn't it?
2. Could you please re-post the link to the Lowell and the price? I'll want to stay there from 1st through 6th August, returning to Chicago on 7th (Tuesday)
3. Any thoughts about return travel to Chicago post event? (which is the same question as above, is there public transport if necessary?)

And.. I'd like to be in the Open Mic session please, assuming I can borrow a decent acoustic guitar from someone - can't bring it with me! Who else is doing some songs??

I'm sure I have other questions but can't think of em now..

Really looking forward to this Lenny event, Joe, all sounds bril.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Sue,
Here is the link for the Lowell Center lodging:

http://bit.ly/o4E6F6

Adam Mamula is going to coordinate the Open Mic session and we will have a guitar for you. I will be posting more information shortly about the Open Mic. There is a thread here about Chicago accommodations and the information is in the most recent update, please contact Patrick at the Comfort Suites to book your Chicago stay.

We are really looking forward to seeing you!

Joe

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”