Sisters of Mercy

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
osmachar

Re: Sisters of Mercy

Post by osmachar »

Manna wrote:Nah, we cool. 8) Hope I didn't sound overly defensive.
Nae bother (as they say in Scotland)
Lars

Post by Lars »

I completely agree on the biblical references to touching eyes and hems. I like to think that this one song came so easily to Cohen because he did not have sex with the girls. In "The favourite game" it is a strong point that sex and artistic inspiration excludes each other. But when this is said he also had a story about the genesis of this song that strongly hinted to a sexual encounter: "When I was in Edmonton, about a year and a half ago, I was greeted at the airport by two young girls, who were wearing mini-skirts, and they said to me that they had introduced the mini-skirt to Edmonton. And they took very, very good care of me. And I wrote this song for them. It's called the "Sisters Of Mercy." (Cohen at BBC session 1968, quoted from Diamonds In The Lines).
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

There seems to be some degree of improvisation regarding Leonard's introduction to this song. I have at concerts heard him tell the story (possibly more than once) that he found the girls huddled in a doorway sheltering from a snowstorm. However, the latest I've heard is that Leonard rescued the girls from a party. The rest of the story seems to remain consistent, however.

All the best, John E
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Does it really matter?
Memories fade over the years.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Osmacher,

It's always good to get the specific details, but of course it ultimately doesn't matter at all. When things reach mythic status some variation in the telling of the story is inevitable (as with any myth or folk tale).

All the best, John E
ellamax

Post by ellamax »

Hi. Not sure if i'm in the right area for posting this question. Can someone tell me who is the female vocals in the song "Take this Waltz" Great voice, need to know! Cheers.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

ellamax wrote:Hi. Not sure if i'm in the right area for posting this question. Can someone tell me who is the female vocals in the song "Take this Waltz" Great voice, need to know! Cheers.
Does it know say on the CD?
Davido

Post by Davido »

Jennifer Warnes sang backing vocals on 'Take this Waltz' (studio version).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Steven

Post by Steven »

Nice thread. Leonard mixed classical religious icons with sensual undertones. Art from
an event that most would see as not having had much possibility of inspiration.

Springsteen had, it is reported, an experience with a Sister of No Mercy.
It is said that a nun at his Parochial school put him in a garbage can and
told him that this was where he belonged. If true, that he prevailed and continues to
evidence spiritual growth and connection in his music, is testament to his ability
to remain inspired and to inspire others.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

I understand that as part of the intenational Leonard Cohen event in Edmonton (2008) the house, where these events transpired, is to be one of the event attractions. ( At least that was discussed as a possibility at one time.) Kim would know if that is still on the agenda.
ALT

Post by ALT »

I do not know Lorraine, but the Barbara of The Sisters of Mercy was (my aunt) Barbara Greene, who passed away in British Columbia this past May.

Return to “Comments & Questions”