the fools they locked up the wrong man

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Whatever happened to integrity and honesty? Once money changes hands and a deal is made you'd think the other end would keep their word. :roll:
:lol: Priceless :lol:

However :wink: , you should know that your belief in human nature can safely be restored ~ integrity and honesty are still alive and well, and prevailed with the other end... that ol' basic tenet of "I cannot tell a lie... :D 8) :D ~ to [you know where] with the money."
Boss

Post by Boss »

SWITZ wrote:...Does this topic make me look fat...? :?
Look. If you buy a girdle, I think that's what they're called in the U.S.. No, no... It's the whole area of interest. It'll have to go. Here try my new topic it's much better. Got a mirror there??
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ »

...Nope...can't see myself in a mirror...... :shock:

switz

...go Black Ferns..!!! :D
mat james

Post by mat james »

"they locked me up for wanting to rule the world ",

they should lock you guys up for getting off the topic :wink:

Maybe Cohen means that the real political/monetary people who think they have some divine right to rule the world and boss others around should be locked up:
not some lonesome voice (writer/poet) questioning and lamenting their actions.

They always lock up "the wrong guy".
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

Ruling Your World is the name of the new book by Sakyong Mipham. It is a book about how you are ultimately responsible for your own reality. So maybe this is the meaning? The person who has learned to remove suffering (I prefer confusion) truly rules the(ir) world.
Most of us are living in a haze—sometimes helping others, sometimes helping ourselves, sometimes happy, sometimes sad. We don’t feel in control of our own lives. The ancient teachings of Shambhala rulership show us that we all have the ability to rule our own world and live with confidence. To do this, we need to use our daily lives to be strong, as opposed to aggressive, and to act with wisdom and compassion. This may sound difficult, but when we begin to mix this ancient wisdom of rulership into our everyday life, we have both spiritual and worldly success. We don’t need to abandon our life and become an ascetic or a monk in order to gain confidence and achieve this success. We can live in the world as a ruler no matter what we are doing.
—from Ruling Your World

You’re stuck in the airport security line, late for a flight. The line isn’t moving. You’re angry at the security personnel for taking so long, you’re irritated at the other passengers for having so much stuff, you’re mad at your boss for sending you on this trip in the first place. By the time you get to your gate you’re angry, deflated, and exhausted. Then someone cuts in front of you in the line to board and you snap. “There’s a line, you know!” Is that really you, standing in an airport, yelling at a stranger, emotions raging?

It happens to most of us more than we’d like to admit. In an instant, our lives seem out of control and overwhelming. It’s always something, isn’t it? But what if you could approach every part of your life—from the smallest decisions to life’s biggest setbacks—with total confidence, clarity, and control?

According to Sakyong Mipham, we all have that power. The secret is simple: If you just stop thinking about yourself all the time, happiness and confidence will come naturally. It sounds absurd and, what’s more, impossible. But in Ruling Your World, Sakyong Mipham shares ancient secrets on how to take control of our lives and be successful while cultivating compassion for others and confidence in our own intelligence and goodness.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks a lot for that excerpt, Tri-me. I've written down the name and author of the book, for ordering with my next paycheck at the end of September.

~ Lizzy
mat james

Post by mat james »

Tri-me

" If you just stop thinking about yourself all the time, happiness and confidence will come naturally."

What if you don't think about yourself "all the time" ???

Some of us work in an environment where you need to create a space for yourself or someone up or down the line abuses that space.
Simplistic statements like the one above are helpful to reflect upon in a quiet moment, but the reality of pollution is that it needs to be filtered out and some people are simply too polluting.

In this case, what would the wise one (Sakyong) advise??

Something like
"Do not throw your pearls (of wisdom) before swine,
Lest they trample them into the mud and turn on you to attack" !

I don' think so.

Paradoxically, in this case , I am the (your) swine!
and the polluted.
:?
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

I have no idea what the Sakyong would say, probably something wiser than I could ever come up with.

I really like the concept that when a person is free from attachment, me clothes, me car, me job, me is best at me job, me family, me house, me body, me pets, me life. Life is a lot easier, therefore you rule your world not all the me trying to find a way to make more me me me. Things and Stuff

He uses simple terms, but the idea I think, (this is from my brain not the book) is that the reason many people are confused is because they are too attached to the existence of self. This is not something I have a hold on but I have been told the logic around it many many times. Ultimately, we (me) don't exist. We create the me. The person you are right now has been your creation, it has been created by your consciousness. In meditation we are training our minds or consciousness. In my practice we are given a chance to see the stuff in our heads. The we learn to appease the constant "monkey mind" a Buddhist term, and tame it. When we can do that yes we rule our world.

Not ready to be thrown in jail for ruling the world, give me another hundred years..
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
mat james

Post by mat james »

I remember reading in a yoga book about the "dweller" within.
The dweller being that entity within/without who is transiently journeying through a myriad of existences, through to all encompassing being/enlightenment.
That dweller is before self, before personality, before ego: an Atman soul sauntering to Brahmanesq being.
A bit like don Quixote singing, " I am I, don Quixote, the lord of la Mancha, my destiny calls and I go. May the wild winds of fortune carry me onward, whither so-ever they blow, onward to glory I go...!!!"
It's refreshing stuff and I love it!
But bloody reason infects the vision and pollutes the view.

Tri-me, my dweller knows you are on the right track and says thankyou for the reminders.
My reasoning intellect says "wake up and be miserable like me".
( reason is always seeking black holes of meaninglessness )

:) :evil: :wink:
euphrates

Post by euphrates »

maybe he was talking about jesus?
ut invicem se diligant
mat james

Post by mat james »

If it was one of that "trinity", Euphrates it would be more likely to be the Holy Spirit, I would say.
Janos

Re: the fools they locked up the wrong man

Post by Janos »

I'm new here but I've been influenced by the music, words and persona of Cohen for many years. I was just wondering about this album sleeve affirmation and found this discussion. It's been ages since it was active but I write my thoughts anyway.

First, I love Cohen's poetry for many reasons, one of the strongest being his somewhat vague messages. They're able to interpret a lifetime and I believe that's his intent. Occasionally that might work less progressive, but very often it's extremely rewarding for an open mind.

I was wondering about the Bible. Suppose the prisoner is Jesus when it should have been Judas, or more likely, Pilatus. It could also mean that how awful someone's crime on humanity may be, it's still somewhat the ignorance of that same humanity who've created him.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Ultimately this has proved true....Leonard was marginalised in the 70s, and (in some quarters) abandoned in the 80s, such as when "Various Positions" was not released in the U.S. Ultimately, he returned to conquer the world....though, in his absence, the rebels may well be on the verge of overturning his rulership in the U.K.!
Robido

Post by Robido »

"They locked up a man who wanted to rule the world...the fools, they locked up the wrong man..."
That's the poem in its entirety, it's not a quote.
It's pretty simple really they locked up a man who "wanted" to rule the world rather than those who do.
Robido

Post by Robido »

And it's from his book of poetry "The Energy of Slaves".

Return to “Comments & Questions”