the fools they locked up the wrong man

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
koan

the fools they locked up the wrong man

Post by koan »

"they locked me up for wanting to rule the world ,

the fools they locked up the wrong man"

Alright someone thought this Leonard quote worthy of an album back or poster or wherever it was (I have no record player so don't pull out the vinyl that often) with leonard laughing ecstatically. Can anyone illuminate me as to what they think it means? its from an album in the 60's.
koan

Post by koan »

Well that topic really sucked didn't it. Not even a nibble.

I think the quote is actually,

"They locked up a man for trying to rule the world,
the fools, they locked up the wrong man"

alright I'll take a stab at it.

It means that ruling the world doesn't have to be a purely selfish megalomaniacal endeavor, it could be being at home in the world, and such a man (or woman) could still rule the world so to speak even while imprisoned. The whole, " I had to be imprisoned to find true freedom kind of thing". This whole intepretation is based on the perhaps completely twisted mental state that while being basically told what to do in a zen monastary for instance, one might feel that they rule the world. I may be completely delusional, however, and am asking for someone more knowledgeable than myself to straighten me out. Humor me, theres no right answers here.
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ »

Fish on....!!!!!! :lol:

The fools meaning perhaps the collective mob of critcis that hound his poetic visions. The world is fashioned by dreamers and Leonard has been in the front trenches for a long time. Now the critics sound more like old Russian cold war propagandists. Awkward.....pathetic... :roll:

Switz :)

"Oh...! Hand me that chinese finger puzzle I'm sure I can figure it out".
muckypups

Post by muckypups »

From the album "Songs of Love and Hate" I believe.. There's a track called Avalanche on the album.. "I stepped into an Avalanche, it covered up my soul.." was, if memory serves me well, the opening line.
The entire album was very dark, perhaps the back cover quote was entirely in tune with his mood at the time. I don't know about his personal life back then but the mainstream critics were certainly dismissive towards his work.
Ars longa, vita brevis -
Art is long, but life is short
lightning

Post by lightning »

Maybe it means they should have locked up the man who locked up the man trying to rule the world because he was also trying to rule the world by having the other guy locked up. And so on, until you finally conclude that all imprisoners should themselves be locked up. Or no-one.
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ »

...that reminds me of an old episode of "the Prisoner" 8)
Boss

Post by Boss »

Maybe he knew a friend who was jailed or hospitalised.

Maybe it was Cohen himself :shock:

He's as human as you are...
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ »

Yes thats it....! :o
Kush

Post by Kush »

No its Dem they got locked up. Thats why we dont hear from him any more. And they got the right man.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Demetris was sighted alive and well on Hydra.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Maybe it just means that there are still people who want to rule the world on the loose. As ever.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Demetris was sighted alive and well on Hydra.
if that is true then thats very sad - but I'll try to cope with it as best I can. Its not the end of the world. I did make arrangements though with the Greek authorities to keep him locked up for good...my sympathies are with the good people of Hydra.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Most of the good people of Hydra rallied 'round him, so I'm guessing the sizes of your bribes just weren't sufficient. The sadness must have been on this continent only, as those in his presence were in great spirits. Think 'higher euro' next time, I guess.
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ »

...Does this topic make me look fat...? :?
Kush

Post by Kush »

Most of the good people of Hydra rallied 'round him, so I'm guessing the sizes of your bribes just weren't sufficient.
Its hard for me to imagine people rallying 'round him - like 'The Dancing Jarkko' I may require photographic evidence (although photoshop can do pretty much do anything these days).
But if your reports are accurate it is quite a knock to my belief in human nature. Whatever happened to integrity and honesty? Once money changes hands and a deal is made you'd think the other end would keep their word. :roll:

Return to “Comments & Questions”