Silent night by LC (and Keiji Haino)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Maarten

Silent night by LC (and Keiji Haino)

Post by Maarten »

Hello,

I've got this mp3 on my computer where Leonard Cohen sings "Silent night". I named it "Silent night with Keiji Haino", but I haven't got any other information on it. I think it came from the Files one (or two) year(s) ago, but I may be wrong...

Can anyone give me some more details on this? It's a live recording, with audience clapping at the end. Where was it recorded? And when?

Thanks in advance,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
margaret

Post by margaret »

I think it was from a concert in the UK, during the 1979 tour. I may even have a cd with it on. I will check tomorrow when I get time.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The MP3 file is still in our server. Click here to listen to it!
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/silentnight.mp3
--it was recorded by audience in Brighton, UK, on December 15, 1979
Maybe I should put it again on the front page for the holiday season?
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thanks Margaret and Jarkko!

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It's duet with Jennifer Warnes!

Now, Keiji Haino - I don't know who that is, but I think it's something with software. I have few Leonard's Hallelujah covers in mp3s and all are credited to that Keiji Haino - I guess the person who converted songs into mp3 tracks simply didn't enter the track info, so the software repeated Keiji Haino as performer, from some previous mp3 converting :o :shock: :lol:
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thanks Tom!
That solves quite a bit of the mistery. I had been googling around to find more information on Haino and Cohen singing together, but I couldn't find a thing...

colin

Post by colin »

There are two versions of Leonard Cohen singing "Silent Night". The first version is from a soundcheck at the Odeon, Birmingham, England, recorded December 8th, 1979.

The second version, which is the version I believe you're talking about, is a wonderful live performance from the Dome Theatre, Brighton, England, recorded December 15th, 1979.

Both are soundboard recordings.
lorcamaria

Re:

Post by lorcamaria »

jarkko wrote:The MP3 file is still in our server. Click here to listen to it!
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/silentnight.mp3
--it was recorded by audience in Brighton, UK, on December 15, 1979
Maybe I should put it again on the front page for the holiday season?
Jarrko,

This is lovely. Thank you for posting it.
Happy Christmas to you all! xxx
Maria

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering,
There is a crack in everything, that's how the Light gets in.
st theresa

Re: Silent night by LC (and Keiji Haino)

Post by st theresa »

Thanks Maarten for asking and Jarkko for responding...lovely way to respond to the holiday season. Happy Holy Days to all!
TipperaryAnn

Re: Silent night by LC (and Keiji Haino)

Post by TipperaryAnn »

I was surprised and delighted to hear this played on "Late Date" on RTE 1 just before Christmas by Alf McCarthy, wherever he came across it. He gave the venue, Brighton, and the date, 1979, describing it as an impromptu performance. "Silent Night" is best like this, I think, gentle and simple, with no fussy "arrangement". It was lovely to hear them on Christmas Eve - Leonard, Jennifer Warnes and that gorgeous violinist Raffi Hakopian.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...

Return to “Comments & Questions”