Back catalog reissues

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
RainDog1980

Back catalog reissues

Post by RainDog1980 »

I know that Columbia was in the process of reissuing Leonard's older albums with bonus material and re-mastering, but this seemed to be put on hold to capitalize on his newer material.

Jarkko, or anyone else in the know, do you know if they plan to move forward on this again? If so, any chance we'd hear the tracks from Songs for Rebecca?
phillip

Re: Back catalog reissues

Post by phillip »

You beat me to it I was about to ask the same thing!!! let me know too! :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

RainDog1980 wrote:I know that Columbia was in the process of reissuing Leonard's older albums with bonus material and re-mastering, but this seemed to be put on hold to capitalize on his newer material.

Jarkko, or anyone else in the know, do you know if they plan to move forward on this again? If so, any chance we'd hear the tracks from Songs for Rebecca?
In one of the several emails I sent Jarkko recently about finding some new recent new bootlegs I asked that very same question and got no response one way or the other on the subject of any future official releases of anything from the vault. So I doubt there is anything to be said on the matter at this time.

While I would love to hear anything from Songs for Rebeca, right now I am hoping for something special for the 50th anniversary of "Songs of LC". I know there is a thing with the European Copyright laws saying something to the effect that "any recording that remains unreleased after 50 years becomes public domain". I know some other artists have been recently emptying their vaults of the recordings made around 50 years ago to save the copyright protection. So, with that in mind, I am hoping that maybe we might get a "Super Deluxe Edition" of the debut album with extra bonus discs of the rest of the early session recordings that they pulled Storeroom and Blessed is the Memory from for the 40th anniversary release. I'm also hoping that maybe we'll finally get an official release of the BBC concert from 1968 along with the session he did for John Peel's BBC Top Gear show around the same time. I also remember there was that mysterious acetate of demo's recorded in 1966/67 for Asylum Records. If the master tape(s) still exist somewhere in the vaults or in LC's private archive maybe they would also be included in a "Super Deluxe Edition" set for the first album. Of course as rare as those recordings are I'm sure if they had to pull them from an crackly old acetate none of us would complain. Wishful thinking I'm sure, but it is nice to have a dream what with so much darkness around us these days.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

A lot will be happening in the future - like more poetry, more music, or an official, commemorative celebration, - but it is too early to say when and in which order. All this will be up to Leonard's family and management. Robert Kory has promised to keep us updated as soon as there is something to confirm.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Thank you. Jarkko.
I can be patient, you have taught me well!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Thank you Jarkko for shedding some light on the subject. I'm sure we'll all do our best to be patient as you have taught us to do over the years :D
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
B4real

Post by B4real »

jarkko wrote:A lot will be happening in the future - like more poetry, more music, or an official, commemorative celebration, - but it is too early to say when and in which order. All this will be up to Leonard's family and management. Robert Kory has promised to keep us updated as soon as there is something to confirm.
So nice to see I’m psychic :razz: Maybe I do have some intuition for the future :)
B4real wrote:But, having made that last statement, the optimist in me says prophetically that there is still more words to come! I feel some of those songs and poems that Leonard was working on could find their way to us....such a comforting thought to hold on to!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36625&start=15#p363236
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Comments & Questions”