Thanksgiving

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
its4inthemorning

Thanksgiving

Post by its4inthemorning »

On the occasion of Thanksgiving in the US, Joann and I would like to give thanks for these memories:

PBS Television 2009--a serendipitous viewing of "Live in London" revealing that our favorite artist of yesteryear was alive, well, and still performing. This discovery wound up affecting our lives profoundly over the ensuing years.

Las Vegas 2010--the thrill (didn't know people our age could still be thrilled) of seeing Leonard perform for the first time; seeing this unique, but strange city; first encounters with other fans including the ever-helpful Al and Marie; Leonard's words before "Anthem" about his audience (I don't want to call them fans, they are of a deeper order"); the Seahorse afterwards.

Paris 2012--First visit to this beautiful and unforgettable city; Nore Dame and its statue of Joan of Arc; L'Olympia, the perfect venue; brunch at les Editeurs with many gracious people we will always remember, Maarten, Lizzy, the lovely Christelle who arranged the Paris meetups, and many others.

Barcelona 2012--A gem of a city, tapas on La Rambla, Guell Park; the walking tour and lunch at an historic venue, all arranged by our charming guide Beatriz; impromtu cocktails at the base of Palau St Jordi before the long walk up; second row seats in front of Javier for an up-front view of Leonard paying with Christelle's monkey Pablo.

Lucca 2013--Historic walled city that we never would have visited absent Leonard's concert (make a point to see Lucca some time if you can); the magic of an open air performance; the best dinner we ever had at a restaurant recommended by our B&B host.

Kingston 2013--Leonard performing La Manic for his countrymen; an uninspiring venue turned magical by the band and the audience; our surprise next morning at our B&B that virtually everyone staying there had been to the concert.

Montreal 2014--Eva from the forum graciously taking the better part of a day to show two strangers around Leonard's Montreal, from Notre Dame de Bon Secours (where our Lady of the Harbor stands vigil) to Leonard's home at Parc du Portugal to his favorite delicatessen; seeing Leonard's boyhood home and the tennis courts where he met the Spaniard who taught him "the chords."

We will always remember all of you!

Curt and Joann
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
LisaLCFan

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by LisaLCFan »

its4inthemorning wrote:On the occasion of Thanksgiving in the US, Joann and I would like to give thanks for these memories:

PBS Television 2009--a serendipitous viewing of "Live in London" revealing that our favorite artist of yesteryear was alive, well, and still performing. This discovery wound up affecting our lives profoundly over the ensuing years.

Las Vegas 2010--the thrill (didn't know people our age could still be thrilled) of seeing Leonard perform for the first time; seeing this unique, but strange city; first encounters with other fans including the ever-helpful Al and Marie; Leonard's words before "Anthem" about his audience (I don't want to call them fans, they are of a deeper order"); the Seahorse afterwards.
Oh, my gosh, your first memory is almost identical to mine, except that I first saw (completely by accident) the "Live in London" video on CBC TV in Canada (the day it came out, I believe), but it had the same effect! I learned a few minutes after the video ended that Leonard was going to be in my city just a few weeks later. Of course, I immediately bought tickets -- it was my first ever Leonard Cohen concert, and to say that I was excited or that it was incredible would be a massive understatement: it totally changed my life! That was the beginning of a long and exciting journey of rediscovering Leonard's music, discovering some of it for the first time, travelling to various places to see him again (and again!), and meeting people I would never otherwise have met. I was in Las Vegas in 2010, too -- what an amazing time that was! (However, I don't think I met you, or I have forgotten... :oops: )

Thanks for reminding me of how I came to be here, on this forum, and of some of the highlights of those few remarkable years of the tour.

Return to “Comments & Questions”