Store room

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
peter danielsen

Store room

Post by peter danielsen »

"Therefore,He said to them, "every student of Scripture instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who brings out of his storeroom what is new and what is old."
Matthew 13.52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DsHKw2dGqI

Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
its4inthemorning

Re: Store room

Post by its4inthemorning »

"Store Room" has always intrigued/puzzled me since I first heard it on the remastered version of one of LC's first three albums (I forget which one right now).

Of course like so many of his songs, the meaning of the lyrics is wide open to interpretation. But my questions are more basic, for example: Why was "Store Room" not released early on rather than sitting on the shelf for 40 years? Was LC involved in the decision to finally release it? Why, after it was released, did it receive almost no notice or comment (it may have been mentioned in Sylvia's book, but if there was any discussion here I have not seen it). And most enticingly, are there any other 1960s/1970s songs still gathering dust somewhere that could eventually see the light of day?

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I believe the song was released against Leonard Cohens will by the record company when the remastered version of Songs from a room came out
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

What I really want to hear is Leonard singing Priests. I gather there was a recording of it long ago, apparently now lost. I've only ever heard it sung by Judy Collins.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “Comments & Questions”