Apathy of Late

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Steven

Apathy of Late

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Will be visiting and posting here less often. I tried to stimulate discussion. No sense continuing to do so.
Goldin

Re: Apathy of Late

Post by Goldin »

Hi Steven,

I looked through my thread history and found 67 unanswered threads. There are a few more, where all the answers belong to me.
Maybe it's a rather common problem of those of us who post frequently.

Please don't slow down! 8)
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Don't go home with.
Frustration.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Steven,
You are one of my favorite posters. I am going to try to do a better job of engaging. I've written some detailed posts as well that were more "literary analysis" that I think Leonard's work deserves that haven't received a lot of attention. I know that Doron Cohen is very busy now, but maybe we can get him to post to post more as well. Goldin-I've looked forward to meeting you (and Steven) I really appreciate your posts as well and all the work that you do on your own site. Thanks much to both of you-just want you to know that you are appreciated!

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
dar

Post by dar »

I'm trying to contribute too. I'm not sure how to improve the posting numbers. Dear lizzytysh is about the only person who has single-handedly tried to answer most posters; especially newbies. (I just looked and she's at 25,065 posts. That has to be a record!)

As for me, I will try to comment more often. (I have to admit I don't read the poetry section though.) I know it's frustrating when your post goes unanswered or commented on. Guess we have to figure if it's read, it's not dead.
dar

Post by dar »

I just spent some time reviewing the postings and responses and the Board in general. I get it now.

It seems to me that folks are using it for information only. It's like Facebook where folks are used to "updates" and rarely go further than pushing a like button.

I've seen enough today to believe discussion may be read here; but it's definately dead. I'm done too.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I can only speak for myself of course but in my case, any desire I had to engage in forum discussions has been killed by those people who make it their mission to be unpleasant, offensive or rude to those who do post or particular individuals - and I don't just mean very recently. I don't really care that the forum could get a bit, um, lively in the old pre-tour days. I didn't join in then either, hence the relatively late registration. Life is too short and I can be a bit sensitive so I choose not to put up with c**p and rarely post these days for fear of inadvertently setting someone off on one.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I can only speak for myself of course but in my case, any desire I had to engage in forum discussions has been killed by those people who make it their mission to be unpleasant, offensive or rude to those who do post or particular individuals - and I don't just mean very recently.
Yes. As for me, the whole situation around the Twitter thread was the turning point. I really don't remember, who was pro and who was contra, so that didn't change my attitude to the particular Forum members. But it spoiled the whole feeling of this virtual lagoon, which I wouldn't call once again, as I did in 2011, a calm place.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I agree that not a lot is going on here. I usually pop in at some point daily, I must admit for any news.
It seems that when there is something new happening, ie a concert or new cd we see more activity, but at this moment it is quiet somewhat.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah, dar ~ As for me and those numbers, those were accumulated way back when, when I DID try to respond to every posting. It's not been that way for a long time.
Some were irritated by my doing that [which I can understand now, but couldn't at the time], but now I simply do not have time... but do try to respond to new people coming here and hope that THEY will engage!
Steven ~ your postings are FAR too worthwhile to just stop! Period.
Dar ~ Don't let a simple review stop YOU from posting, either! There are topics that are niche topics and that's all there is to it. None of this has anything to do with the value of your postings! Sometimes, people WILL just read and that's okay, too.
Wendy ~ I'm glad you finally joined here... and that you still do participate, even if not so much as you might otherwise.
I'm still glad to have been able to go to that Twitter thread [my choice to do so or not, as with everyone else] and read those Twitters. Some just so concise and well done. For those who didn't care for the thread, well, they could just stay away and read and CONTRIBUTE to others ;-) . There's no way possible in the world that one or two Twitter threads could even begin to ruin the whole of the Forum for me. To me, that is myopic beyond belief.

So, with some truly substantive posters promising to respond to your substantive postings, Steven, I certainly hope you'll continue!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:Ah, dar ~ As for me and those numbers, those were accumulated way back when, when I DID try to respond to every posting. It's not been that way for a long time.
Some were irritated by my doing that [which I can understand now, but couldn't at the time], but now I simply do not have time... but do try to respond to new people coming here and hope that THEY will engage!
Steven ~ your postings are FAR too worthwhile to just stop! Period.
Dar ~ Don't let a simple review stop YOU from posting, either! There are topics that are niche topics and that's all there is to it. None of this has anything to do with the value of your postings! Sometimes, people WILL just read and that's okay, too.
Wendy ~ I'm glad you finally joined here... and that you still do participate, even if not so much as you might otherwise.
I'm still glad to have been able to go to that Twitter thread [my choice to do so or not, as with everyone else] and read those Twitters. Some just so concise and well done. For those who didn't care for the thread, well, they could just stay away and read and CONTRIBUTE to others ;-) . There's no way possible in the world that one or two Twitter threads could even begin to ruin the whole of the Forum for me. To me, that is myopic beyond belief.

So, with some truly substantive posters promising to respond to your substantive postings, Steven, I certainly hope you'll continue!!!
dar

Post by dar »

I tried to leave you Forum...but after all these years I'm still crazy enough and posting. (Love the "Like" G.)

Yes, Lizzy, back in the day we sure had some "moments" but as you say, if we could have seen facial express, tone of voice, etc. we may have understood each other better - or at least had a good old barroom brawl and and a drink and handshake to follow. :roll:

See you at the bar. Bill's that is.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:The people below BOUGHT the flat? They're going to be hard to get rid of with that in mind!
indeed they did, lizzie - all the flats here are privately owned. the block in which i live houses 24 of them. there seems to be a new trend with people buying a flat, modernising it in some way, and then selling it again as soon as possible at a profit. this means there is almost permanent drilling, sawing and banging, because the concrete structure of the building is an excellent conductor of sound. as you know i am a very fair and tolerant person, i don't mind a reasonable amount of noise but sometimes i feel i'm losing my fucking marbles and might just go downstairs and knock some shit out of the little wanker!

much love -gxxx
dar

Post by dar »

Do we get to whine here? And, if so, may I have some cheese with my whine? Red wine and some Limburger with a slice of onion on a cracker. (I like stinky cheese.)
dar

Post by dar »

Good work G. Today I waited in line from 7am til 9am to have a blood test done because my thyroid gland is not releasing any hormone (hence my metabolism has shut down), then I went to try to get the phone company to fix my issues with the phone they gave me since I've been without any phone for over a week and the woman who was dealing with my issues was at a funeral and no one else could tell what she had done - so I have to wait another day, next I went to do a caregiving shift and my client fell down drunk the night before and broke her collar bone so I had to take her back to town for xrays and I have to load her wheelchair etc. and I have no energy, then waited 2 hrs. for her xray and got back and she had shit all over the sheets and nightgown last night because she drank too much and took a Percocet so she couldn't get to the bathroom, so I did a load of her laundry at the laundromat after I changed her sheets, then my son was stranded at the bus because he lost his bus pass so I went and got him and took him to his rented room which I help pay for because he can't get hired anywhere and won't fib just a bit on his application (he hasn't worked since his brother died five years and won't talk about his "stuff"); no one will hire him since he hasn't worked in five years and has no experience (he worked with his brother), then I stopped to buy power steering fluid with stop leak in it because my car's power steering is going out, now I decided to do a load of my laundry since I'm on a roll....I'll take my cheese now. xox

Return to “Comments & Questions”