Were Leonard Cohen to write a memoir

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Steven

Were Leonard Cohen to write a memoir

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Are there any particular aspects of his life that you would like him to include?

Not intending to start a rumor here about any such memoir. Might be intresting to see, though,
what is most of interest to people here. Deleted a similar post because of lack of responses.
Am revisiting the spirit of that post from a different angle. Continuance is up to you.
AlexandraLaughing

Re: Were Leonard Cohen to write a memoir

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

I'd like him to talk about Judaism and the future of Judaism.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Mothers always have stories about their kids, what stories did his Mother love to tell about him at family gatherings? What did his grandma smell like? (I don’t even know if he knew his grandma but grandma’s always have interesting smells to them – good smells) I’d like to hear some stories that seemingly have nothing to do with anything, just things that he remembers – stories about his life that he likes to tell at parties or to his kids, “I remember the time …”.

I have a fascination with Irving Layton, so any stories about him.
He was a child during WWII, what was that like to live in Montreal then?

anything that he would like to share in his own way, as opposed to facts splattered out on a linear timeline.

What are you curious about Steven?
Boss

Post by Boss »

Good topic, Steven.

I too would wonder of his grandma, even her smell :)

I'd also like to know how he felt the first time he maintained balance on a bicycle, the wind in his face.

I'd like to know how he felt standing at the Wailing Wall. Although I've been to Israel, I never got there.

And I'd love to know what he thought of two men - Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. What they talked about.

Interesting,
Adam
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
abby

Post by abby »

I'd like to know what the ends of romantic relationships were like for him. And the beginnings, and everything in between. I'd also like to know what Leonard's relationship with god has been like. What is prayer like for you is a question I'd like answered. On the double.

You know, nothing too intimate : )
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Enjoyed reading the replies. What AlexandraLaughing, Cate, Boss and Abby came up with would be of
interest to me if included in a memoir. :) Cate asked what I'd be curious about. There's much.
Here's some: How did fame hurt and benefit him as an artist? What challenges and resources arose
from being an outsider? Do the glories of artistic accomplishment outweigh the emotional price
he paid along the way? With hindsight, what would he have done differently? How did ambition hinder
and help him? Would he be comfortable in the atmospheres of the bars in "Closing Time" and
"Night Comes On"?
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Another couple:

LC's father comes into songs all the way through his career, but most interestingly I think in 'Here it is'. There is clearly a lot he has not said and could say about this relationship, which was so crucial to him. So if he wrote a memoir, I would hope he would talk a lot about his father.

Why didn't he sing 'By the rivers dark' on any of his recent tours, when it's such a brilliant song?
holydove

Post by holydove »

I have always wanted to know more about Leonard's relationship with his mother. My sense of it, from the few things that have been said, is that Leonard & his mother had a very special & very close relationship (partly, perhaps, because Leonard's father died when he was so young), & that she was a pretty strong influence in his life & his art. She was, after all, the first woman in his life. So I would like to know alot more about that relationship. I would also like to know more about Leonard's relationship with his maternal grandfather - the famous rabbi; & more about Leonard's experience of Chassidism - I read somewhere that he's had some involvement with Chabad & some kind of contact with the Lubavitcher Rebbe (I've wondered if that was the "famous rabbi" referred to in the poem "One Of My Letters" - Book of Longing, P. 5).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi AlexandraLaughing,

Would also like him to talk about his father, should there ever be a memoir. His father passed away when
L.C. was but a boy. He could, if he so desired, reveal memories and comment on the passing and the
affect that subsequent absence of a father had/has on him. L.C. buried a necktie that was his dad's after
he (L.C.) wrote something on it around the time that his father passed away (if I recall the biographical
account correctly) and he stated as an adult that he doesn't recall what he wrote on it (again, if my
memory is correct). Perhaps he'd care to speak of this as well. Wouldn't blame him, though, should he
put up a fence and not do so.

Psychobiographers (should there ever be any) of L.C. could attempt to make a case that L.C.'s lyrics that
reference God, to some extent, reflect a transference of feelings about the earthly father he had to
the Godly one. I'll leave it at that. No luxury of time for me to delve further into this. They could do
this, with or without a memoir as source material.

Don't know why he didn't include "By The Rivers Dark" and agree that it is a brilliant song. Your mentioning
it resulted a revisit to it and a renewed appreciation for the song. :)
Last edited by Steven on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi holydove,

Yes, it would be great to learn more about those aspects. Not only that, there'd be the pleasure
of discovering how L.C. expresses himself about them.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Would also like to know if L.C.'s penchant for many song edits has resulted in aborting songs because
lyric content raised too difficult emotional material. The time expenditure that he has devoted to
editing would have given ample opportunities for reconsideration. My bet is that it has.
dar

Post by dar »

I doubt LC would ever write a memoir. He's stated that he doesn't go for nostalgia. ( "A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.") Although I doubt his memoir would be nostalgic.

LC seems to me to be "too good to be true". Even with bits of his dark side showing through I'm not convinced that we've ever seen the real deal.
I mean, geez, whenever he was depressed and drinking he was well dressed and groomed. (A bit OCD maybe??)

But I've never read a biography or listened to very many interviews, or watched films. So it obvious to me that I'd rather keep his work separate from his private life and personal behavior. I think the only reason I would want to know his private life would be to make him more human. And I don't want to do that.
I like my bodhisatva's working from another dimension.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

For some reasons I don't feel authorized to enter personal life just because I like so much whatever he does. But I may be the much most more boring fan with a plus. Plus. Plus ?

Being in the eye of the storm that celebrity is. It seems a utmost jeopardizing situation. A little bit too the left, or the right, or up or down and one is crushed by this huge energy. I prefer to believe that he is safe in the middle of all the turmoil, in peace, freedom and a solitude that he shares with the only people who do not make us feel alone in the crowd.

May you live long and prosper.

Too.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

He has said that he remembers his mother singing. Does he remember what those songs were? And, which songs did he write with his mother in mind. Which of his songs did she like the most.....

Edit - Why did he change 'ya' to you in Hallelujah?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Sandra Tenanten

Post by Sandra Tenanten »

It could include absolutely anything in my opinion and I would still read it.

Return to “Comments & Questions”