Leonard's voice

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
HelenOE

Leonard's voice

Post by HelenOE »

In album reviews, I've seen the usual stuff, all the different kindly euphemistic ways reviewers find to say, "His voice is shot, but hey, he never had much of a voice and it doesn't really matter."

It occurs to me that the voice we hear on "Popular Problems" may not actually represent his true current singing voice very well. I'm thinking that in large part it's an artifact of the conditions of recording: in his home studio, very early in the morning because that's when it has to be done before the ambient neighborhood noise starts up, and very closely mic'd. So: early-morning voice, likely not warmed up, with no need to take a deep breath and open up. His voice on tour was much more flexible and had more range, and I can't think of any reason why he'd have lost that in such a short time.

What put me in mind of this is my pal "Weird Al" Yankovic, who sang in two very different voices on the same album: his normal singing voice and this much deeper voice. This was not due to any sonic manipulation in the studio (it was 1999); he did it simply by recording the song in short snatches first thing in the morning, before his voice warmed up.

That said, I'm quite happy with the recorded voice we DID get on Popular Problems. It's perfectly clear, expressive and emotive, and it gets Leonard's words across with devastating effectiveness.

fun fact: one of the Weird Al clips I looked at to find these examples came adorned with a YouTube ad for Popular Problems.
holydove

Re: Leonard's voice

Post by holydove »

My memory is that different reviews, as is often the case, say different things about his voice.

But whatever the reviews say, I think Leonard's voice is absolutely fantastic on this album. To me, it sounds very strong, deep, rich & expressive as ever. The word "shot", IMHO, just does not belong anywhere near the words "Leonard's voice".
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

It isn't shot by any means. Not like, say, Bob Dylan (and even he can sing better than one expects when his voice is rested and he's really trying). But what do you think of my theory that the rather limited range of notes he's working in on the album might be due to early-morning, unwarmed voice?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leonard may also be using his voice intentionally for effect. Someone [somewhere on here!] made the comment that Leonard couldn't really carry a tune. I have to believe that person has NOT seen Leonard in concert over the last years... or even his very last performance of his last tour. He carries a tune beautifully and with a beautiful voice. I've nt gotten my Popular Problems album, yet... and have listened to it only one time through online... and loved the variations I heard in his voice [see first sentence ;) ] 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

HelenOE wrote:It isn't shot by any means. Not like, say, Bob Dylan (and even he can sing better than one expects when his voice is rested and he's really trying). But what do you think of my theory that the rather limited range of notes he's working in on the album might be due to early-morning, unwarmed voice?
Personally, I don't think Leonard would record himself for an album unless he was totally prepared to make his voice sound exactly the way he wants it to sound.

I also don't think range is the most important thing. I think what one does within the range available is much more important. Unfortunately, alot of critics seem to miss the point.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

holydove wrote: I also don't think range is the most important thing. I think what one does within the range available is much more important. Unfortunately, alot of critics seem to miss the point.
I think what he's doing within the range on the album is wonderful. My point is, I don't think the range on the album shows the true abilities of his current voice; I think he's got more in reserve than we're hearing here.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Live performance does seem to bring out, in a certain way, more of what he's got in there - in those unfathomable depths - & that could include variation in range - but what I'm saying is I'm not sure if what he does on the album is a result of the recording conditions, or artistic choice, because his performance on albums has always been more subdued (for lack of a better word at the moment) than his live performances, even when he didn't record at his home. But your theory is not out of the realm of possibility, so I guess, ultimately, I'd have to say - I don't know :) .

Editing: I'd really rather say "different" than "more subdued", though, as there are many instances on albums, inc. this one, where I'd say his performance is not subdued at all.

Return to “Comments & Questions”