What made you choose your posting name?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mr.midnight

What made you choose your posting name?

Post by mr.midnight »

Just for the hell of it and just for fun, what made you choose your posting name on this forum?

I'll start...
I was listening to Lady Midnight while I was signing up and it was really late at night, way after midnight, so I just chose mr.midnight. I'm usually a night owl anyway.

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
seadove

Re: What made you choose your posting name?

Post by seadove »

I have been using mine for quite sometime. I had in mind that same dove that Noah sent to check out if there was any land in the ark's vacinity. He came back with an olive leaf. That is why I added the word "sea" so as to enhance that I meant that particular dove and not other doves. Needless to say it ensembles the peace innitiative in front of all the dangers surrounding us here in the middle east, believe it or not.

My friends call me dovey, or dove, in other forums. :roll:
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

It's my name.
Generally I don't use my name as a username in forums, but since it's one of the greek names that are ONLY greek and since this forum is international, I supposed it would be more special among people from other countries than among greeks. :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
Clem

Post by Clem »

My posting name is my christian/forename, short for Clement. I rarely see the need to use a pseudonym, either for myself or for anyone else.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Well, not only do I like "Songs From a Room", but I also live in a one-room flat. Technically speaking, I would probably still qualify as "girl", but I wanted to be taken seriously when posting... ;-)
As Lizzy once observed, my username would actually make me Marianne. True, and a nice thought as well!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
mutti

Post by mutti »

Mutti is after our beloved kitty aged 16 who died in our arms in November after being ill for 2 months.
She was so sweet..Its pronounced almost like Mooti but not quite..It means Mommy
as she found us after we were grieving for our other beloved cat Mango who a housesitter let out one night
and he never was found..(lots of coyotes where we live...)
Mutti came to us 3 weeks later and when we let her in the house after a week, she
would come to us and lick us when we were sad or crying over Mango...a real Mutti...she spent 7 years with us...
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

Like you surely know one Leonard`s anthology of poetry is called The Spice-Box Of Earth. It`s Finnish translation is named boringly just "Songs" and I want to salute for original, gorgeous and funny name.
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
surrender

Post by surrender »

The period "when the things went wrong" was necessary to realize my limited ability to control my life. It was "a long way down" but eventually I discovered that it is better to yield to the flow of life than to oppose it. The surrender I needed to go through was not a sudden moment but it turned to be a continuous process.
Listening to Leonard and practising zen are my essentials to surrender without fear.
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I was born like this, I had no choice, and didn't see any reason to disguise it (the abbreviated "John E" was inspired by the Beach Boys "Sloop John B").
Last edited by John Etherington on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mine is so that at my age or in my older age, I will not forget my name ;-) .

Oh yes, I almost forgot 'but I can't remember who' - Mary :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Well, mine's pretty obvious. This was the first forum I ever joined and I didn't think people used their real names, so I chose the name of my dog Molly. Sadly she died a few days after the Beacon concert. She was a rescue dog, or puppy to be more accurate as I got her when she was only nine weeks old. She was nearly fourteen when she died in February. Here's a picture from last Christmas of her singing carols! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mary
molly xmas.jpg
Last edited by Mollydog on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Seems people like naming themselves after their pets. I am sure that if I had named myself after my long dead cat (blackie) it would have been deemed politically incorrect!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

As a lover of music I use musicmania where possible as a username on forums. I've even considered checking if it is registered as a trademark & if not register it myself :lol:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Well, obviously my real name is Diana. Because of Lady..and later Princess Diana, I got the diminutive Lady Di. However, it was several years later at the airport....I work for an airline....and this one supervisor, every time I would walk by would murmur..."lady to die for".... Not because I was anything special...it was just sort of a "thing" with him!. :roll: :oops: Anyhow, the lady2di4 became part of my first email address...and then when I registered with the Forum, the ladydi part came easy as it had been my nickname for years!
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

At times I feel like I'm a lifeguard – between managing a group of creative 'kids' at work, as well as my adult 'kids' at home. You know, when the lifeguard gets caught in a current and frantically signals for help, everybody on the beach thinks she's waving and waves back – lifeguards aren't supposed to drown.

So, in need of a shoulder to lean on, I chose Leonard as my imaginary friend. I've sought his counsel before making many a decision, and have found his imaginary advice to be excellent. I look forward to a long and cherished friendship.

Return to “Comments & Questions”