Leonard Cohen Interview (Denmark 1992)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Jokermage

Leonard Cohen Interview (Denmark 1992)

Post by Jokermage »

Hello

I have been told that Jarl Friis Mikkelsen (a danish television host) once interviewed Leonard Cohen. And it is suppose to be hilarious.. But i haven't been able to find a site, from which, I can stream the interview. So i was wondering if anyone could paste me a link to a site from which i can stream it.

In advance thank you very much.
sanneka

Re: Leonard Cohen Interview (Denmark 1992)

Post by sanneka »

Hello Jokermage
My name is Susanne, I have been a member of the Leonardcohenforum for about a year, but never properly introduced myself. I have loved Leonard for half my life, but when I lived in The USA for about 30 years) it was kind of hard to be a real "cohenite" , you really had to look for information and his music. I returned to my native country Denmark 9 years ago, and here EVERYBODY LOVES Leonard Cohen. I saw him live for the first time in my life, here in Denmark one year ago and it was an amazing experience. I listen to his music every day.
Yes, you are right there was a interview with Leonard and Jarl Friis-Mikkelsen in 1992, I did not see that, but five years ago the "Danish State TV" had a two hour tribute to Leonard (for his 70th birthday) about his life and music and that interview with Friis-Mikkelsen was there too, and you are right it was very funny, Leonard was very relaxed, happy and really enjoying himself. I will write to the Danish Radio/TV station and ask them if they possible can or will put that interview on "You-tube".
Sincerely
Susanne
Denmark
Anders Hansen

Post by Anders Hansen »

The danish talkshow can be found here http://www.dr.dk/bonanza/serie/portraet ... etId=65517

:)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thank you, Anders! A must-see broadcast.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

What a find! This is one of the most enjoyable interviews with Leonard that I've ever seen. Thanks for posting.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Bonanza! Thank you finding and posting this link Anders. Welcome to the forum!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thank you so much Anders for posting this :D
A great way to come to the forum - hope you can stay around for a while.

I realy enjoyed all of this v-e-r-y relaxed interview.
I laughed at Leonard's reaction when near the beginning the briefly clad girl came on with the "red needle" supplies and then later on when Leonard had sampled his drinks he asked where she was!! So many great moments in this interview. I also hope that it is available on youtube soon.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Does anone know how to download/capture this so I can save it to a harddisk?

Thanks,
M

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
B4real

Post by B4real »

Sorry Maarten,

I don't think you can do it from their site but if you do please let me know because it's just a great interview and I want to keep it too! That's why I wish it was on youtube.
Same thing goes for the full Barbara Gowdy interview - I want that one as well!!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25274#p269403

Bev

EDIT: Thanks Marie :D
Last edited by B4real on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Bev and Maarten,

There is a clip on Youtube showing Leonard making a 'Red Needle'. Shows his reaction to the girl also.... just punch in Leonard Cohen and Red Needle. I would love to capture the whole show too. It was really funny. There is also a clip of him with the girls singing 'The Future'. :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Marsha,

As I remembered that scene I thought he asked the question a few drinks later but it only took him a few sips to do it. :lol:

here's The Future link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJt4e3Q ... re=related
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

This interview is a treasure and I'm so happy it's been found. However- did anyone else dislike the interviewer as much as I did? I thought he was quite rude at times. Maybe he was nervous, and trying to cover it up by acting cool and assertive? At any rate, it led to some extremely awkward moments. The "Volvo" part made me cringe. As did the gifting of the lithographs, which the guy did not seem to appreciate at all. I really hated the way he dismissed Robert Bower... both literally - "You can see Leonard later backstage"...and figuratively- "You're a crazy fan." Leonard looked annoyed too. He seemed to go out of his way to explain the importance of Robert Bower to him.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by joyezekiel »

mnkyface wrote:This interview is a treasure and I'm so happy it's been found. However- did anyone else dislike the interviewer as much as I did? I thought he was quite rude at times. Maybe he was nervous, and trying to cover it up by acting cool and assertive? At any rate, it led to some extremely awkward moments. The "Volvo" part made me cringe. As did the gifting of the lithographs, which the guy did not seem to appreciate at all. I really hated the way he dismissed Robert Bower... both literally - "You can see Leonard later backstage"...and figuratively- "You're a crazy fan." Leonard looked annoyed too. He seemed to go out of his way to explain the importance of Robert Bower to him.

I agree, but I'm not sure he was nervous, I just think he was flippant, and not very bright. But all credit to Leonard who showed himself to be a true gentleman as always.
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

The show is currently online until 8 February 2017 at https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/-/-/talkshowet- ... nard-cohen

This link has between four and five minutes of intro that is missing from http://www.dr.dk/bonanza/serie/portraet ... etId=65517 posted above in this thread.
I believe it is also in a higher resolution.
It does however have Danish subs, and they're hard-coded.

Jarl Friis Mikkelsen, now retired I believe, was a peculiar comic TV host, and not really a good choice for this interview. But yes, what a gentleman Cohen was.

All the best,
Martin

Return to “Comments & Questions”