Help - photos of LC from the Yom Kippur war

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Einat

Re: Help - photos of LC from the Yom Kippur war

Post by Einat »

Jarkko, I can send over my hard copy if you want , LC items in return ? hmm, let's settle for sending the man himself instead
I don't have anymore hard copies but i can try scanning it.
Doron- it would be amazing if you could find the time to translate the article, it is a very interesting read..if I had the time I would have done it myself.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks for your kind offer, Einat - however, a hard copy is already under way from Israel!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Jarkko spoiled my week of fun! :cry:
I was referring to the same article, but since it's all out in the open now I'll just go back to my cave and cry silently...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

The newspaper which published the article about LC during the Yom Kippur War, “Yediot Ahronot”, on its weekly supplement “7 Nights”, is by far the most widely read in Israel. Quality is another matter (“Ha’aretz”, with a much smaller circulation, is considered much higher in terms of quality). Unlike other leading newspapers in the world (including “Ha’aretz”), the contents of “Yediot Ahronot” are not fully posted on the Internet; it has a website called “Ynet” (also very popular), mostly with original content, and occasionally samples or “teasers” from the newspaper itself, to encourage readers to buy it. In this case there is also such a “teaser”:
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/1,7340,L-3722557,00.html

The “teaser”, as can be expected, is written with much hyperbole, and it is hard to judge the accuracy of the material (my suspicion is that it is not very accurate, but we must read the full article and judge by that). Here is a quick translation from the original Hebrew (once I get the full article, I’ll try to translate it too):
[Translation from Hebrew]

War Singer

Leonard Cohen in the Yom Kippur War: The shows at the front with Oshik Levi and Matti Caspi, the wild nights and the meeting with Ariel Sharon at an outpost. The full story behind the mythological visit to Israel by the legendary singer

By Rona Kuperboim

The truth is that Leonard Cohen arrived in Israel in September 1973 due to a personal crisis. But a week later the Yom Kippur War broke out, and the Jewish singer found himself at the front, armed with microphone and guitar.

For the first time “7 Nights” brings the full story behind the two months during which Cohen spent time at IDF’s outposts, sometimes under fire, fell in love with an Israeli woman, and spent time in coffee houses.

“I was afraid that my quite songs could not encourage soldiers at the front”, Cohen said later, “but I learned that those wonderful kids do not require arousing heroic hymns. Between battles, now more than ever, they are open to my songs” [translated from the Hebrew, so not his own words exactly].
DownUnder

Post by DownUnder »

BTW, I saw these photos for sales, signed by Uri Dan...
This is on Ebay but is listed by The Farkash-Gallery in Jaffa.
first photo
second photo
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

508.jpg
I came upon this photo of LC during the 1973 Yom Kippur War which I don't remember seeing before. Here he is playing with Israeli musician Matti Caspi (who is seen with him also in some of the photos already posted above), against the background of some military vehicles, probably in the Sinai. The photo is from Caspi's website.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here are more photos that I've got from some contributors

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

My cousin was visiting Israel around that time and saw Leonard in a very small venue up close. He still talks about it. The photos are great!
Thanks
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Comments & Questions”