Clothing Time

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mnkyface

Clothing Time

Post by mnkyface »

From YouTube vids it looks like LC went back to wearing the doublebreasted pinstripe suit in Philadelphia; the one he was wearing in the first leg Canada/Europe 08.

Hasn't he been wearing the single button suit for most of this North American tour?

I have a very deep knowledge of this (lol) because in Oakland on 4/13, when he was reciting 1000 Kisses and he said "been working out but it's too late", he unbuttoned his jacket sauvely with one hand (other was holding the mic of course). He did not do this on 4/14, though he was still wearing the single button suit.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Re: Clothing Time

Post by burningviolin »

I know nothing about suits I must say but was just looking at some you tube footage and am thinking to myself with all the kneeling he does on stage he must go through trouser knees quite often!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

You're so right BV. The kneeling is awesome but it must be hard on the suits! He's doing it more than ever it seems.

I wonder what is on his bolo tie. Anyone know?

Post by mnkyface »

Came across a good close-up of the bolo: http://imgs.sapo.pt/gfx/453751.gif

Close-up is an understatement. You can practically smell his aftershave when you open this pic. Warning: this picture is ENORMOUS. :shock: :D

And then there is The Visible Bead of Sweat. Right between the crow's feet and the sideburn. Not that I've been staring at it for the last 15 minutes or anything, no siree. :roll: :lol:

Post by Maarten »

Mnkyface,

That's a really great picture, especially the size :-)
Now you have discovered what's on his bolo tie, I suspect nothing less from you than to find an explanation for all the symbols on it and why Leonard Cohen is wearing this one specifically.

Start your detective work! (and let me know ASAP)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

mnkyface,
I couldn't resist doing some research myself...

Here's the bolo tie of Leonard Cohen:
Camargue bolo tie Leonard Cohen.JPG
Camargue bolo tie Leonard Cohen.JPG (19.86 KiB) Viewed 12959 times
It says "Camargue" on top, which is an area in the south of France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camargue) so I googled some Camargue symbols and came upon this one:

The Gardians Cross, symbol of the Camargue
Gardians cross of the Camargue.JPG
http://www.languedoc-roussillon.eu.com/ ... margue.htm

I have to stop my research now, because the kids are asking to go to the park to try out their "Heelies"... :roll:

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Thanks Maarten! I found this similar link: http://symboldictionary.net/?p=2288

The horses connection is fascinating too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camargue_(horse)

And I found this alarming article, though it is from 2000 so hopefully the situation has righted itself:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... orses.html

This is all so fascinating. Maybe this should be moved out of NA Tour to a more general category! Learning of Leonard's interest in the Camargue makes me rethink so many of his lyrics involving horses, the sea, etc...

Now I want to know...how long has he had this particular bolo? I saw him in Lyon in July 08, and I believe he wasn't wearing it yet, just the buttoned up grey shirt. I wonder if it is something he picked up while travelling through that region last year. Perhaps it was a gift. The question is- when did he first wear it on the tour?

Post by ladydi »

Someone must have been doing some shopping in the south of France because I noticed that at the next concert his bolo was just the Camargue cross. Very nice. Hmmm, perhaps special gifts?
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

So there is actually MORE THAN ONE bolo??

Post by ladydi »

I noticed the second one in photos from the Molde concert!
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

At least to my presbyopic eyes, these three bolo tie slides look different from one another and different from the one already depicted. And, one more to follow in separate post.
Last edited by DrHGuy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Oops, I originally thought this bolo tie slide shown in the photo used in the Rolling Stone interview seemed different from the others already pictured, but now I see it appears the same as the one worn in the Beacon concert. My apologies.

For what it's worth, the Mother Jones wrap-up of Coachella describes Leonard Cohen's bolo tie as "cheeky."

Re the double breasted suit issue, I quote myself upon seeing Cohen wearing the pin striped, double breasted suit in Lorca's photo of him rehearsing prior to the tour:
Why does he look like an illustration for the dictionary definition of “dapper” wearing a double breasted jacket while 97% of the men that don them (including Dave Letterman, who wears one almost every night on his show) resemble nothing else as much as a corpse being fitted for a shroud?
Finally, I suggest the definitive insight on the Leonard Cohen fashion line would be the sagacious and astute observation made by that perspicacious pair of musical philosophers, ZZ Top:
They come runnin’ just as fast as they can
‘Cause every girl crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man.
Last edited by DrHGuy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Now all the tie slides are starting to look the same and different on alternate takes. This slide from the Nice show seems distinctive - or I may just be going psychotic.
Nice
Nice
nice2.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 12693 times
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi DrHGuy,

I've been reviewing the various photos and think there are only 2 of the Camargue bolos...the one with simply the cross, and the other which has several symbols. As always though, with Leonard, he has impeccable good taste!

All the best,
Diana
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I moved this topic to the "Comments and questions" section.

Maarten

Return to “Comments & Questions”