Type of LC's Fedora Hat

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
POZEST

Type of LC's Fedora Hat

Post by POZEST »

I did a quick forum search and didn't find the answer...

I wanted to know what model/type is the fedora hat Leonard Cohen wears say in the inside pictures of the front page of http://www.leonardcohen.com

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (I know not everyone can make a fedora look good/or vice versa) however because of this man and having been in his presence in L.A. and soon again in Chicago, I wish to don such head wear.

Any suggestions/direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by POZEST on Mon May 04, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davido

Re: Type of LC's Fedora Hat

Post by Davido »

I have sent you a PM. Take a look at this link (although it is in UK, it may be helpful):
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Leonard-C ... QQ_armrsZ1
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

In one of the many newspaper reviews I have read, it was described as a "Trilby".
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

POZEST wrote: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (I know not everyone can make a fedora look good/of vice versa) however because of this man and having been in his presence in L.A. and soon again in Chicago, I wish to don such hear wear.
:) :) Know the feeling, I'm in possession of a beret but now have a desire to learn the harp a la Hattie Webb! :D :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Damfino

Re: Type of LC's Fedora Hat / Hat etiquette at concerts

Post by Damfino »

I've checked out the various photos, and it appears that Leonard has been wearing several different hats at the shows.

There are many styles of fedoras, distinguished by the shape of the indentation in the crown, as well as the width of the brim. Leonard appears to wears what is referred to as a "stingy" brim -- which is basically a brim of less than 2 inches. His fedoras also seem to have teardrop shaped crowns. Trilbys are basically fedora hats with a pinched front -- also Leonard's style.

Incidentally, what has been the etiquette re. hat-wearing at the concerts? I'm guessing that black suits and fedoras in the audience are becoming a common thing. (There were even a few at the Beacon show.) I'm considering my own attire for the upcoming shows in NYC and CT.
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Thanks everyone for the tips.

When I saw LC in L.A., I did see a few people with nice hats and EVERYONE removed them before they took their seats. That was courteous of the fans.

Very cool.
Heeswijk

Post by Heeswijk »

Possibly one from a hat shop on Melrose, Hollywood Hatters.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Heeswijk wrote:Possibly one from a hat shop on Melrose, Hollywood Hatters.
In a recent interview (sorry, can'remember which one), LC said he bought his hat at a hat store across the street from Lorca's antique shop.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Hollywood Hatters

Post by Hollywood Hatters »

Hi there!

To answer your questions in regards to where and what is the hat that Leonard has been wearing, it is in fact from our store; Hollywood Hatters. Leonard is a wonderful client of ours whom we have had the pleasure to serve for upwards of 5 years. The hat that he has been wearing on his current tour is a small brim, wool-felt fedora called "The Melodrama". It is an American made hat that is available at our store in sizes SM - XLG and comes in black, gray, dark brown, light brown, navy, bone, green, ivory white, slate blue and plum.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to visit our wesbite at http://WWW.HOLLYWOODHATTERS.COM or contact us at 323-525-1912.

Your friends at Hollywood Hatters
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Well after having worked a crazy graveyard shift for 13 hours a night 6 nights a week for the last 3 months i'm back to normal now and want to follow up on this hat.

I contacted a hat dealer on ebay that had a nice looking Borsalino hat on his auction and i liked how this guy ripped the Borsalino hat for being a cheap overpriced hat. I was so impressed with his bluntness that i contacted him asking him to identify the hat leonard wears on the inlet(inside) picture on the front page of http://www.leonardcohen.com and he thinks it might be a Dobbs.

At this point with all the feedback i've gotten i'm confused now and still don't know which is it.

I thought about driving up to hollywood hatters later today but they don't seem to say on their website that they sell Borsalino or Dobbs. I'd hate to drive out there not knowing what i'm looking for.

Could I ask some of you to look again at the hat on the inside picture or perhaps a new set of eyes could look. I read an article dated June 2008 that says Leonard no longer wears Fedoras since 9/11 so I think that helps rule out one hat. As a side question, I've heard Leonard cohen bought 'his hat at a hat store across from his daughter's antique store.' I've only been able to find out his daughter's name is Lorca and that teh antique shop may be on melrose. Anyone know the name/location of the antique shop?

Thanks.
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

I finally found the hat i was looking for. Its a Melodrama. And I did get it at Hollywood hatters. CJ was so helpful there. I plan to go back and buy more hats in the future there.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I'm sure this interview was linked to when it first came out back in 2008, but I came across it recently and Leonard discusses his fedora at the beginning (I just wanted an excuse to post it really - a fun little interview ;-) )

http://vimeo.com/1160078
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
almarks

Post by almarks »

Good interview, thanks for posting it :)
sebmelmoth2003

has leonard ever encountered goodluck jonathan?

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

for fellow-hat fetishists, there's a general hat discussion within this thread
adrian1658

Post by adrian1658 »

Does anybody know the brand and model of the hat on "In my secret life" video?
It's similiar to Melodrama, the brim seems to be the same, but the crown is higher.

Return to “Comments & Questions”