Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Cate

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Cate »

danishdog wrote: There are a number of songs on my blog too. I think my song "Way Up the Ladder of Love" is quite Cohenesque (at the end of https://gists.wordpress.com/2014/12/30/ ... -a-b-side/).
I liked it. Cohenesque, with a bit of Billy Brag thrown in perhaps :)
matthew_n

Post by matthew_n »

Hello everyone,

my name is Matthew, I'm from the Czech republic, I'm in my late twenties and, as all of you, I am a huge fan of Leonard.

I had the opportunity to see him live in concert in Prague in 2013 and I hope there still will be at least one more tour in the future... :)

I've got also tattoo on my right arm, there are few songs hidden in it... :) I had the idea and my tattoo artist did the rest... :) Hope you like it... :)

Have a great day!

M.
11794192_993412017365131_1182818021998659943_o.jpg
Alishibaz

Post by Alishibaz »

Hello Everybody,

I would like to say hello and tell you that I first heard LC in 1968 when I was a college student in Montreal and my room mate bought his album "Songs of Leonard Cohen". We used to listen to it every morning as we woke up and by Christmas, my outlook on life had been transformed. I had never before heard such beautiful and profound poetry. I had never before even imagined that kind of poetry could exist.

I previously posted a thread asking about the lyrics to, "The Patriot Song". Since then, it has become one of my most favorite LC songs. I find it so hauntingly beautiful and provocative of experiences that both of us may have imagined during the war years.

I want to tell you I was very much impressed with the depth of knowledge displayed in the answers to my post about The Patriot Song. Specifically impressed with the knowledge and wisdom of the members here. I must say I feel it's a great privilege to have joined this forum.
Last edited by Alishibaz on Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alishibaz

Post by Alishibaz »

Hello Matthew_n. Welcome and thank you for releasing me from the position of the newest member in this forum. I believe that you are now the newest member here. Interesting that you come from the Czech republic. I just had a spectacular dream last night about Paulina. Have you ever seen her live? I've been in love with her ever since I first saw her.

Also, I want to tell you that I love puzzles and a tattoo puzzle involving LC is just great. Bravo! I was going to make a stupid joke about being willing to give my right arm to win this contest. But, that would just be too foolish. You see, I have a very juvenile sense of humor.

I see a Bird on a Wire. Is it perchance a Nightingale? I hope to see more later. Are you offering any cash awards to the winner? Not that it much matters. Anyone who finds enjoyment in Mr. Cohen's art is already a winner - for sure!

Is it possible that blue coat he is wearing is a rain coat? Also ... there is a drawing of a somewhat orange colored creature over LC's left shoulder. At first glance it might appear to be a rabbit. At least it has two rabbit ears. Am I close to being correct about that?

OK. Let me try another guess. But this one will be quite a stretch. That suit he is wearing ... is that the suit he lives in? From the album "Old Ideas" and the song "Going Home".

One more? Is that red cloud behind LC's head comprised of Iodine?
Last edited by Alishibaz on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi Matthew! Nice tattoo -- very colourful! As for hidden songs, I'll have a go!

Is that a dove with an olive branch, as in: "Lift me like and olive branch and be my homeward dove", from Dance me to the End of Love?

Is that a cross on his lapel, as in: "I pinned an iron cross to my lapel," from Memories?

Is that a tear in the fabric on his shoulder letting in the rays of the sun, as in: "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in", from Anthem?

And, as for that big red blob, does it represent: "Your private life will suddenly explode," from The Future?

Do let us know, would you? ;-)
Alishibaz

Post by Alishibaz »

Oh Dear. I'm so sorry. I tried to add a reply to tell Lisa that I had edited my previous post to suggest that red blob was Iodine. But I clumsily wound up reporting Lisa's post by mistake.

A complete clumsy error and the system does not allow me to send an explanation attached to the report.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I did not mean to report Lisa's post. Excuse me.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

No worries, Alishibaz! (I can't actually see what you think you did in error...). "Systems" have a way of being difficult, so no need to apologise at all for such trifles.

Cheers! :D
Alishibaz

Post by Alishibaz »

LisaLCFan wrote:No worries, Alishibaz! (I can't actually see what you think you did in error...). "Systems" have a way of being difficult, so no need to apologise at all for such trifles.

Cheers! :D
Oh my. I'm beginning to suspect that you are a classy lady. Thank you.
Cam42

Post by Cam42 »

Good evening everyone, I hope you are enjoying your Friday!

I'm in my late twenties and from lovely ole' rainy England.

I was fortunate enough to grow up listening to Leonard Cohen (through my parents), and have remained a fan ever since. I have managed to see him twice - at the Lucca festival (which is an amazingly intimate and atmospheric venue - I'd really recommend it) and in Barcelona. Both amazing experiences and I'm glad I had the chance to see him.

I also saw this website mentioned in I'm Your Man, and thought I'd pop in.
Alishibaz

Post by Alishibaz »

Hello Cam42 and Welcome,

This forum has slowed down recently. But there are still plenty of people reading and watching. So if you have anything to say or any questions to ask, I hope you will feel free.

Everyone that I have met here have been most kind and helpful and I'm sure that any posts you make will be answered with genuine warmth and consideration.

Cheers!
Helia

I also would like to introduce myself..

Post by Helia »

my real name is Angelika, born inn Germany, living in Canada and I am " a disciple" of Leonard Cohen as long as I can think..my field is analytical Psychology ( I studied at the Jung Institute in Zuerich) - which might explain WHY I am so interested in L. Cohen's work - the symbolic content attracts me.

C.G. Jung and L.C. are the most influential "Teachers" in my life..
as most of us know, one of the foundations of Jungian Psychology are dreams...
I am amazed that I (sometimes) dream of LCs songs..I like especially ..
there is crack in everything..thats where the light comes in..

and: I am very happy to found this forum..beautiful...thanks Angelika - Helia (thats my DREAM name)
TheRichStuff

Post by TheRichStuff »

Just found this forum so, hello. Despite the fact that I've been around for a while, I'm a relatively new convert to the poetic genius of Leonard Cohen. In fact it only happened after he came down from the mountain with Old Ideas and then Popular Problems. Now I'm a champion of all his works. There's so few folk who manage to combine such sublime poetry with song. My other favourite at the moment is an anglo/irish guy called Jim Carey Connell. A relative newcomer as far as I know though apparently much marinated with life experience. I saw him do a gig in London last week. He's making an "album in public" called Unlabelled Medicine. There's shades of Cohen there I think... https://www.soundcloud.com/jimcareyconnell .
Herbsttag

Post by Herbsttag »

Hello. :D I've been reading here for a while now and figured that I might as well register. My name is Alexandra, I am from Romania and am currently studying German literature. I've known his music for as long as I can remember and in the past couple of years I've become quite a fan of his work. I haven't had the chance to ever see him live but just listening to his work and reading his poetry makes me very happy. :D
Alexandra
kotetiko

“A Thousand Kisses Deep”

Post by kotetiko »

Hi!
We have made this piece in tribute to Leonard
We hope you like it
https://vimeo.com/185451442

Thanks!
Kaui

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum...Kaui

Post by Kaui »

What to say just looking for a community to appreciate and grieve.

Return to “Comments & Questions”