Leonard Cohen and our wedding

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
robertwblues

Leonard Cohen and our wedding

Post by robertwblues »

Lucy and I are getting married on 08/08/08 in a palais in Vienna, where we both now live. I have been a fan of Leonard's music since first hearing it on John Peel's "Top Gear" show on BBC radio in the 60's. Lucy is now a big fan too, having once read through all his lyrics while I was away on a business trip. So we have decided to use some of Leonard's music during our wedding reception which is taking place in the home of the waltz. We will start with "Take this waltz" ("I'll dance with you in Vienna....."), continue with "Dance me to the end of love" and conclude the session with "Tennessee Waltz". This means that I have to learn how to waltz! :) We also plan to use "I'm your man" and "Hallelujah" - may use the excellent Nick Cave and Jeff Buckley versions. The one disappointment is that the current tour is not coming to Vienna. What a delight it would have been to have heard Leonard sing "There's a concert hall in Vienna...............".
SteveMcK

Re: Leonard Cohen and our wedding

Post by SteveMcK »

Dance tip from far away: a nice way to learn to waltz is to find a good tango teacher. We dance waltzes in tango clubs, but in a less manic way than the ballroom waltz (Deutsch: Standardtanz). And DJs sometimes even play Leonard Cohen...

If you like, I could take a look at some Viennese tango websites, see which teachers look like they might have something good. Drop me a line, if this is of interest.

All the best for the wedding and beyond.

Steve
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love your waltz selections. A videotaping of your and Lucy's dancing would sure be enjoyable :)
What a delight it would have been to have heard Leonard sing "There's a concert hall in Vienna...............".
I wouldn't give up on this possibly happening one day, anyway, Robert.

As for "Hallelujah," I'd sure enough try for a download of Leonard's unequivocal reclaiming of his song in Montreal. There is nothing like Leonard's original... except, perhaps, his Live performance of his exquisite song on his tour. I can attest to its excellence in Montreal.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
milady

Post by milady »

I have something, sorry for the poor quality:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=26pbrL4gubM

Best wishes for your wedding (and dancing)!!
robertwblues

Post by robertwblues »

Hallelujah! Just discovered that Leonard IS playing Vienna (Sept 24). So now have tickets plus my own smiley face. Thanks, Lizzy, for encouraging me to keep checking the tour list. Surely he will perform "Take this waltz". Can't wait. It is a long time since his excellent concert in Manchester in the late 80s.
Thanks also to Milady for posting the interesting video clip. Bit miffed that someone has beaten us to it, but Lucy and I will be waltzing in Vienna itself. Lucy is a very good dancer. I attempted to break my little toe a few weeks ago. (Un)fortunately I didn't succeed so, with Steve's encouragement, I will try my best. Maybe one day you might see a video of my efforts.
The play list has been finalised. I dropped Nick Cave (too raunchy for the occasion) and substituted (?) Leonard's superior version. Jeff Buckley is still there, as it is a particular favourite of Charlotte's (my eldest daughter).
Thanks to the 3 of you for your best wishes.
Alles Gute
Robert
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Just read your post and saw your wedding is today - so hope you have had a beautiful day. Enjoy the Vienna gig, I'm tempted by that one or Romania...
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
robertwblues

Post by robertwblues »

It was "just a perfect day", but lets cut to the bit you have been waiting for! Everything was going according to plan. There had been a short demonstration of how to waltz provided by Hannes, my best man and an excellent dancer. Then it was time for my lovely bride Lucy and I to open the dancing to the strains of "Take this waltz". We started quite well. I calmed myself somewhat by singing along with Leonard. I heard Hannes call out "Alles waltzer" after about 30 seconds (it seemed more like 30 minutes!). This is the way in which dancers are invited onto the floor at a Viennese ball, following the formal dancing. I expected to see Hannes and partner, followed by other couples, come onto the floor - as requested by myself. Ok, I begged them to do so! This didn't happen. Or rather it did, but I did not see what happened next..............
I don't want to spoil it for you by describing what occurred. I am waiting for my new niece Camay to upload her video, which I believe captures the whole sequence.
Watch this space. ;-)
Towards the end of the song when Leonard sings "and I'll dance with you in Vienna", I pointed upwards to try to attract our guests attention to the significance of the lyrics. Then came another spontaneous moment as we manoeuvred ourselves towards the open door just as the song was due to finish - in order that we could exit on cue!
Later on we were rockin' the palais to the strains of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" and "Stairway to heaven", with a brilliant piece of air guitar accompanying one of the all-time great guitar solos - Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe". Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" sounded ethereal. However our great day could not end without a return to our opening waltz. So Leonard opened and closed the show. I, for one, was more relaxed second time around!
Can't wait for wednesday and his performance at the Vienna Konzerthaus, our favourite venue. Reading the Bucharest reviews has made me realise that it really is going to happen.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Watching this space... watching this space... watching this space... w a t c h i n g t h i s . . . w a t c h i n g . . .

Ah. It must be like the top of the wedding cake... to be consumed upon the one-year anniversary. How silly of me ;-) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
johnrickz

Post by johnrickz »

You will be the one to decide the size, the design and the price of the cake. But for me though you're going to spend so much for just a cake, I guess it's worth it. Anyway, it is once in a lifetime occasion so you have to do everything to make your weeding very memorable.
KatyJhonson99

Post by KatyJhonson99 »

I am listening to Leonard Cohen since my childhood! on my wedding this special song "Do I Have To Dance All Night" gave me pretty enjoyable feelings!
My man did the dance moves i never forgot such! :) happy reading; that you both love his music! in a way Leonard Cohen united you! he is a music legend for me :D

Post by seadove »

If you are by now already married, well Mazal Tov, I would like to know how it went with you using the material of Leonard Cohen.

I want to comment here that not everyone like the music of Leonard Cohen. Using his material on a wedding would be taking a risk because maybe some of the guests may get tired of the music which they anyway don't like. It is too risky to impose your taste (and mine too, btw) on the audience.

We, in this forum, are actually special people. We have been touched deeply by Leonard's music and that is why we'll stay here perhaps forever. :roll: ;-)
darlenehill19

Post by darlenehill19 »

first of all congratulations from my side! Happy married life..
Good Wedding date according to wedding numerology.
We here at our wedding business play several wedding related songs of Leonard Cohen;
BUT as you played like 2 to 3 numbers with dance..You are quite a BIG fan of him..
You would be amazed to know that Brides and Grooms like Cohen's numbers..
-- Wish you happy life:
Sambi

Post by Sambi »

milady Thanks for share good link!!!!
Umair123

Post by Umair123 »

marriage is a good thing for the young people I have some secret about happy marriage those secrets which evreyone wants have a look :http://www.peacequarters.com/5-key-secr ... -marriage/

Return to “Comments & Questions”