"Because of" video

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

How the trends differ from country to country! The CBC is presently on strike, so we are hearing quite a bit more of older Leonard songs/interviews, as they have to play something. And who do we Canadians love more than LC??

See you,
Linda.
Rabbit

A download for the video?

Post by Rabbit »

Does anybody know if it is possible to actually download the Because Of video from somewhere? Here in my remote far-flung outpost of the world it is impossible, despite a supposedly good quality ADSL connection, to get a good stream of the video from the leonardcohen.com site and I'm tired of struggling to watch a disjointed, grainy edition in a little square in the middle of my monitor. I'd love to obtain a proper download which I can view at my leisure without being affected by the vagaries of the internet.

I can't be sure of the copyright issues surrounding such a download, but please Leonard - I really want to watch your video!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Rabbit,
I have the same problem as you, although I have extremely good ADSL connection here in Croatia and I can watch all others online videos normally (i.e. trailer for I'm Your Man). - So, I think the problem is somewhere with Sony's site, not with our connections!

It seems that clip isn't available anywhere else... I know there have been some DVDs for European Sony distributors, but it seems none of them reached TV stations, as far I know, only one small local TV station in Croatia ("NET") aired the clip.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Tom,

Thanks for your information. I wonder where to go from here? Perhaps Sony should be contacted regarding the issue...

I live in hope of seeing the video in all its high-quality glory one day!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I've been able to watch and listen to just about everything here. I don't think it's the site connections, I think the problem lies with my computer and my own connections. The more I tinker, the better or easier the video or audio plays. Still, I'm sometimes locked out. :?

One day... :shock: ... I see a rainbow above me... :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I went and watched it today for the first time. Not as easy to get to, as I'd somehow imagined, but not overly difficult, either ~ just a matter of my expectation. Like with you, it was in a small, boxed-in area of the viewing screen, like a 'cameo' shot. I was surprized to see the two women jumping on the bed and giggling. With the expression on his face, Leonard looked, at times, almost in an attitude of, "Ohhhh. I can't believe this phase of my life is actually waning," as he sat at the table and lifted his head from looking down. The quality of the video seemed to impact his expression, though, so it may not have been a true one. The women bouncing about is not the way I'd have imagined a video for this song to be :lol: ~ I had a much more 'tender' image in mind, but hey :lol: .
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I'm not sure what I 'expected' but, the look on Anjani's face, when they danced...Priceless... Beautiful.

Linda.

I just happen to have DH on as I make my way to the D&D thread.....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I had meant to include the footage of Leonard and Anjani, but got distracted and forgot that I hadn't before closing out my posting. I couldn't see the expression on her face very well because of the small size of everything, but I saw the tenderness in their touch and body language, and the way her face lifted up toward his. Yes ~ very beautiful.

I'm certain there's also an abandonment and freedom with the younger women that Leonard has always enjoyed, and is well represented with their bouncing on the bed and giggling ~ what a great time they all had making this video.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The thing is that I can watch everything else except this video. and I have re-installed all kind of players in their newly updated versions, from Flash to various Media Players...

Rabbit, I'll ask our Jarkko about explanation and possible warning... I can onyl promise that - when I get the video on DVD, and that can be in few months (I was promised to get it from local Sony, but it never arrived...) - I can make DIVX and send you in email attachment.

Also, Lizzytysh is right, the frame is VERY small.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I went to the Sony site to test the video. It plays without any problems with Windows Media Player. I have a 10 MB ADSL connection, but the video was downloading with a speed of (just) 351 kB - so all ADSL connections should be able to play it.
Rabbit

Thankyou Tom.

Post by Rabbit »

Thanks Tom, I'd really appreciate a copy via email if you can manage it. Despite numerous attempts involving updating players and finetuning settings I am yet to manage a clean and watchable stream of the video so the attachment will be very gratefully received.

Warren
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Jarkko ~

I'm certain as I can be, without being at work looking at it, that it's Windows Media Player I watched it on. It just shows up so small inside the normal, viewing screen. So, it fills that screen when you play it?

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The small screen is all we can get - a good quality 100 % screen would require a MUCH faster connection!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ahhh, okay. That's good to know. Thanks, Jarkko.

Well, Tom, it's up to you now :wink: ~ can you put me on that email list :) ?

~ Lizzy
annav

Re: "Because of" video

Post by annav »

Hello,

This may seem as an outdated topic, but I have been wondering for a few years since I first saw the video online as to what the inspiration has been behind it. If someone has read/heard Cohen's take on this video please let me know, or, would someone be so kind so as to inform me where I may address such a question? To the agent? The studio? If someone has a link or an e-mail or telephone. I am so very interested in this information.

If you like my feeling about the video, is obviously not to attract anyone, anyhow, Cohen's music and poetry lovers need not be attracted by any other means than the strength or the "essence" of this incredible man.

Women as such are ageless in Cohen's music no matter how they are portrayed in the video...a woman laughing and jumping on the bed while listening to a song for example can be of any age, at heart that is, in the soul...ageless is any true art, timeless to be more correct. That is what he has offered to us, that is what is the aim of the videos...

Anyhow...if anyone can help me with the inspiration to this video...you would help my ease of mind somewhat as I have been pondering on it for quite some time now...ageless as I am unfortunately not.

Kindest regards from Greece,

Anna

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”