'Live in London' DVD needs updating to Blueray

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Robocop

'Live in London' DVD needs updating to Blueray

Post by Robocop »

This is a plead for the record company(Adam Cohen) to update this original DVD release and release it on Blueray.

It is and was the best of his best.

Robert McAdam

New Zealand
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: 'Live in London' DVD needs updating to Blueray

Post by jarkko »

I asked the tour management the same question many years ago. I was told that the the original master video footage was not in HD quality, and the picture is 4:3 instead of the new 16:9. Only later they started to film (and save) in HD.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

I do understand you're request for this concert in Blu ray because I (also?) think that it is much "warmer" then the "Live in Dublin" concert that was in Blu ray. I always experienced the Live in Dublin concert as a bit “cold” on the sound quality and there has been a discussion on this forum about the sterility of the sound in the Blu ray version of “Live in Dublin” . I really like the “Songs from the Road” Blu-ray version, it has warmth and depth in both sound and vision and I have always regretted that ‘Live in Dublin” didn’t match this. But as always there a may opinions and it comes down to a matter of preference.

And, of course, Jarkko is right that the master recording of “Live in London” is unfortunately not suitable for Blu-ray
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Robocop

Post by Robocop »

asked the tour management the same question many years ago. I was told that the the original master video footage was not in HD quality, and the picture is 4:3 instead of the new 16:9. Only later they started to film (and save) in HD.]
This doesn't matter as several older music videos have been made in 4.3 picture and standard digital sound 16/48 pcm have been upgraded to Blueray HD. Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night and Led Zeppelin's "Song Remains The Same" are two stand outs. Both have picture upsized to 16.9 and audio to 24/48/(96Roy Orbison)pcm.

It would involve remastering the sound track in HD stereo and multi channel. They can also remaster picture quality. Its certainly more than possible to upgrade "Live in London" and it would sell.

Still no sign of progress on this famous Video recording being upgraded as off May 2020????

Robert

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”