The 25th at last!!!

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Ahribar

The 25th at last!!!

Post by Ahribar »

Of course, when I woke up this morning, there was only one thing on my mind, and that was to get down to the shops AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE to buy Dear Heather, using a voucher I'd saved all the way from last Christmas.

(I pause to smirk at those of you who are still waiting.) :wink:

I confess to being disappointed after my first listen. After my second, I still don't know what I'll eventually decide about the album as a whole, but there's no doubt that some of the songs are wonderful. I pick out especially "Go No More A-Roving", "Because Of" (the only time Leonard has made me laugh out loud on first listen), "Nightingale", "The Faith", and of course the beautiful "Tennessee Waltz".

On the other hand, the title song is literally unlistenable. I've heard the view expressed that it was meant as a joke. Maybe I just have the wrong sense of humour.

As regards the sound, Leonard's voice is still pure Leonard. It's true that he needs his backing singers more than he used to, but they never get in the way of the song, as I think they did a couple of times on Ten New Songs. You can still tell where the songs are coming from. Some of them don't really have tunes at all, but the songs that need tunes have great ones, ones that roll perfectly and linger long after the song dies.

I think it's Leonard's most moving album, not just because several songs deal with death and aging, but because of the mood in which they do: almost cheerfully in "Nightingale", which somehow makes it strike much more deeply; quietly in "The Faith", which gives the song an amazing resonance -- as does the calmness of the central "On That Day" and "Villanelle For Our Time", two songs on a subject that Leonard insists on addressing once in every album........ :wink:

This has certainly been a day to remember.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Look at me, Leonard, I am happy !
tomsakic

Re: The 25th at last!!!

Post by tomsakic »

Ahribar wrote: the only time Leonard has made me laugh out loud on first listen
Well, I had the same experince. I start so laughing at that chorus line "Look at me Leonard", and I still, after 3 weeks of listening the album whole days, find that very funny :D
tom
Anth

Post by Anth »

(There was something from me. Now it was moved to another thread 8) )
viewtopic.php?p=30334#30334
Last edited by Anth on Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love's the only engine of survival
Leonard Cohen LT
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:D Today is my 25th 8) !
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah, the loyalties tug :shock: . Have now my Dear Heather in hand; however, remembering my commitment to how I would first listen to it, in its entirety, I am now listening to my new Judy Collins [exquisite] album, instead. As some time ago stated, I will follow through with my plan to call my former husband to listen for the first time, as I play it for him over the phone. I will then mail that copy to him, open the second one for myself, and listen privately. Tomorrow, I will bring it to work, and listen through headphones, as I'm doing with Judy now. I just hope he's in a 'listening' environment when I call. If not, I'll listen my first time, alone ~ not inappropriate, either.

I appreciate the way Sony has referred to this cd as, "The extraordinary new album from the legendary poet, singer and songwriter." They assign top billing to him as poet. Very appropriate for this album.

I see that the "burning bush' painting of Leonard's got aligned with "On That Day" ~ I'll return to our discussion of that painting and see how we interpreted it, in conjunction with September 11. I see he has also given us The American Heritage Dictionary's definition of "report."

A beautiful, Zenlike drawing of a 'thin' branch, a full moon, and more sky than either of those together comprise, with "Nightingale."

Very interesting details in the drawing that accompanies "Dear Heather: A can of [something] Pre-Test by Grumbag; an almost used up candle in what appears to be a sterling silver, single-candle holder; an almost-empty salt shaker; and a can of beer. Some items from Leonard's memory associated with his dear Heather?

Is that a box of Kleenex he's given us, or used himself, along with Tennessee Waltz?

The photo of his father's portrait and the dedication to him is an unexpected and beautiful, final gesture in this booklet, looking with love and solemn reverence into his past, and an energy of cognizance and contemplation of his own future, his eyes concealed in shadow by his hat and the downward tilt of his head; with the back, outside cover of the booklet underscoring that this album is from and for the "Order of the Unified Heart." When I saw the drawing of the hand that accompanies "There for You," I wondered as to its resemblance with the drawing of his own mother's hand, although you see what appears to be hair on his left, index finger. This is presumably Leonard's hand, forever outstretched ". . . For You." The "You" would seemingly be Rebecca, but perhaps even his own Suzanne? Even Marianne?

"Villanelle for our Time" has a very Cubism[?]/Picasso-like feeling to it. I'll comment on the others, as they strike me. Meanwhile, I must content myself to read and take in the booklet. Ah, the anticipation :D . Thank heaven Judy was waiting, and came along to help me through :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”