Dear Heather Album Cover

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
YankovicGretzky

Dear Heather Album Cover

Post by YankovicGretzky »

Have any of you noticed anything familiar? The colors and the lettering of the album cover made me think of the cover of Leonard Cohen's book, Stranger Music. Was this intentional? They both have the same shade of blue.
Last edited by YankovicGretzky on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Aha! You've started the thread [more or less] that Bee wanted me to. Perhaps your comments are what she meant by "so Sixties" :wink: ?

The comment I wish to make regarding the cover is that the drawing is exquisitely simple and elegant, and appropriates a look of admiration and love in the woman's eyes. It also confirms ~ for all time ~ that Leonard most definitely knows how to draw. The choices that he makes to clarify this skill may not always line up with others' expectations, but this drawing clarifies any doubt as to his ability.

Now, Bee :wink: , since when is a line drawing locked into the Sixties? The drawing appears quite Eastern in influence with its simplicity and its minimalism in lines to convey the whole. Okay, now I'm ready for your onslaught :shock: :wink: of artistic explanation, since you are an artist, and I'm most definitely not ~ nor have I studied that arena. So, defend your position, whilst I hold to mine :wink: .

Love,
Elizabeth
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Hey, it is 11:10 a.m. on Friday morning here and I was reading your post and watching Johnny Guitar. Joan Crawford is standing at the bar and tells Johnny Guitar to play her a tune...she gets that same look of love and admiration in her eyes that Heather does. It was uncanny.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:D Still another case of synchronicity 8) ! Very cool!

Who knows ~ it could be the look that came about quite similarly, and whose image locked itself into Leonard's memory, and onto the page for us. Isn't it a look that men [as well as women] will always long for?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

But now Joan is crying ...and saying "Once, I would have crawled across the floor to be near you"...sounds like a line Leonard would use.

P.S. Joan is wearing a snazzy red gown during this scene.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:cry: ~ Well, at least the look is indelibly on the page for Leonard, as well as us. Yes, it does sound like a line Leonard would use! Almost to the extent that one might wonder if he saw the film at some point, early on.....with its influence later showing up in one of his songs.

So, is Joan rejecting him in the course of this line? The temptress in her snazzy, red gown? Now, she loves only his music and the memories of her love, which his song invokes?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Another good line..."He makes her feel like a woman and that frightens her!" Leonard, steal this one!!!!

P.S. Joan is explaining why Emma Small (Mercedes Cambridge) is trying to destroy The Dancing Kid.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

So, is Joan rejecting him in the course of this line? The temptress in her snazzy, red gown?
No. They just robbed a bank.

P.S. Joan is wearing a black shirt and a brilliant red scarf. Her lips are scarlet too. Very.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:wink: I think Leonard might like this movie. Very strong, colour statements.

Yes, that line could also wend its way well into one of Leonard's songs. However, it sounds like "Scent of a Woman" did its own form of usage with it.

Who robbed a bank!?! Joan's character and him???
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Sorry...it wasn't Joan and Johnny Guitar after all ...they were just making a withdrawal when The Dancing Kid and his men busted in and robbed the joint. But the evil Emma Small is convincing everyone that it was Joan and Johnny.

Oh, now, Joan is wearing a beautiful white gown with a black string tie and a narrow black belt in contrast to Emma Small who is wearing drab black dress with a narrow white collar. Joan is playing the piano with her dress billowing around her.

Here's a good line, I can just see Leonard saying this....Joan to the vigilantees: "I'm just sitting in my own house...playing my own piano...is that a crime."
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

On No! The vigilantees have just hung Turkey Logan and now their going to hang Joan in her beautiful white gown.
Last edited by Midnight on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Joan has the rope around her neck!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

But the men vigilantees realize that they "just can't hang a woman."

Hurrah for chivalry!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Evil Emma offers a hundred dollars for any man who will do it.

No takers.

Joan: "Looks like you'll just have to do it yourself, Emma."
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Johnnay Guitar rescues her!

They run back to her saloon.

It's on fire.

Her white gown has caught on fire!

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”