Ten New Songs

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
greenfeld69

Get the guitar out, Len...

Post by greenfeld69 »

Sorry, but I've never managed to listen to 10 New Songs all the way through. It's weak, the songwriting and production is insipid throughout.

I'm Your Man was the last Len album I really liked. The Future was like Chris Rea, but with good lyrics.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I have a feeling you'll be happier with Leonard's next album, Greenfeld. I couldn't disagree with you more, but then that's why you're you and I'm me. One day you'll make it through it ~ hopefully.
Aisling

Post by Aisling »

Lyricly, I think Ten New is awesome, musically, I find it a bit 'easy listening' for my taste. I downloaded a few of the songs from it done in a spoken word style, and I liked them much better.
But that's just me. =)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

....and for me, it goes way deeper than easy listening....what at first may sound to some to be that way, for me seems to go much further down in....as I went to sleep last night, I listened to it, and have the same reaction to it as I've had repeatedly, finding it unbelievably beautiful and moving. I just hope Greenfeld keeps his/her copy intact and in good condition for later listenings.
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

TNS is my favorite LC cd . It is perfect for now. In the past I liked past albums. Now this is my total favorite. I listen to it late at night. I always feel peaceful because of it. ...... well one person is truly grateful......It has touched me way past words, tunes and arrangements...although I like all of them...its a mood that soothes and I feel like he and I groove together in this place.

I would be very surpsied if the next one will be as much 'me' but hey you never know

love Irene
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love your twirling heart, Irene.....very Sufistically dervish :D ~ wonderful to see you here again!

Love, Elizabeth
altinkum

Post by altinkum »

I think "Ten new songs " was well worth waiting for, ok it must be hard to follow "I,m your man" and "The Future ".But how many masterpieces is one man supposed to write!! My favourite track is "Here it is" I just hope we don't have to wait so long for the next album.
Altinkum
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're right, Altinkum. It's the old adage about not being able to compare apples and oranges. Each is so different that they must be considered in their own right.
Robert

Ten New Songs

Post by Robert »

I just bought this album this week and I admit that I have been somewhat aprehensive, fearing it wouldn't be up to my hopes.
I'm delighted. This is very good work. The melodies and lyrics have been playing inside me ever since I listened to them. The imagery in "Alexandra" is exquisite, "Alexandra hoisted on his shoulder, they slip between the sentries of the heart" So poignant! I love "By the rivers dark"...so spiritual and metaphorical as only leonard can evoke metaphor. "Love Itself" is a hymn. The "Land of Plenty" with its indictment of our suferficial, materialistic society so sorely in need of spiritual awakening is not as brutal as "the Future", but just as powerful.
Thanks, my friend Leonard.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I could not agree more. I bought the album as soon as it came out and find myself listening to it over and over.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Right on, Robert. I'm glad to see you count yourself amongst those who love Ten New Songs.
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

There's nothing wrong with Ten New Songs - it's just not as good as past albums

JTS (I may be new to the group but not to Laughing Len)
Aisling

Post by Aisling »

I agree. It's the right tone for this point in time, I suppose, but I do dig his past work more.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I wonder how much listener-age factors into this, i.e. the younger bent preferring the previous energy levels and concepts ~ the older, not necessarily preferring one over the other, but definitely embracing [moreso than the younger bent], the more mellowed energy level and accepting concepts of Ten New Songs. Having seen and come through more, being able to identify more with what these songs are about, and the way they are conveyed being more soothing to the spirit that has seen/endured so much ~ as opposed to "boring" or whatever. [My sentence structure today is pitiful :( and not enough time to work on getting it right ~ hope you get the point.]
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

That's an interesting idea (if I'm reading it right)

Those who were LC fans from the time of I'm Your Man and/or The Future may be less enthralled by TNS than someone who has been a fan prior to this. (Have I got your drift?)

The older (time served) fan will accept just about any Len while the newer fans may not yet realise how you have to cherish and enjoy everything LC that you can

JTS ("The world just doesn't look right without a happy banana in your hand" if I remember the quote associated with the cover shot of I'm Your Man)

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”