Ten New Songs

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
George.Wright

Ten New Songs

Post by George.Wright »

Ten new songs is like a breath of fresh air in a hermited Cohen and gives an indication that there's life in the old dog yet. A taste of what's to come, what's everyones view on this latest work after an absence of origonal work for almost ten years? Is it the cohen Ten Commandments from MT. Baldie or a scraping of the past?
The forums views please.......................Georges
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"Ten Commandments"....from Mt. Baldy.....interesting link you've made there, Georges. One on Boogie Street; death; fantasy worlds;.....hmmm.

~Lizzytysh
peter danielsen

to breathe somewhere

Post by peter danielsen »

is a important thing, My breathing becomes deeper and more calm, listening to : ten new song. I like Cohens more agressive stuff also, but this cd makes you makes you wanna hug someone, sometimes, somewhere.

At this time I have the cd in my disc man, I will journey down to the sea hearing it, and spend some time in the sauna, and then be one with the ocean for a while.

"oh breathe on my brow
melt all my words,
I miss you tonight
my carelessness hurts"(pd)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I agree on the instantaneous relaxation effect that comes with Ten New Songs, Peter. The feeling of immersion in a down comforter, the softness and gentility. Nice verse that you close with, especially the first two lines...very pleasantly graphic.
~Lizzytysh
George.Wright

Ten new songs

Post by George.Wright »

is very mellow. a calmer after a rough day............a man at peace with himself and within................a Sade Cohen.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi George,

Please clarify your reference with Sade. The only one I knew of was a singer over here, who pronounces it "sha-day," so I looked it up in the dictionary to see if there's a common word or perhaps another person. What I found was the French novelist [1740-1814]: "notorious for his tales of sexual gratification through the infliction of pain" ~ obviously the origin of the terms sadist, sadism, and sadistic. However, Leonard during any period, much less Ten New Songs :?: :wink: Were you thinking of sexual gratification only, not realizing the rest? Thanks.

~Lizzytysh

Edit: Well, now that I've said it, I think I have the name wrong. I believe I'm thinking of Sinead [not Sade] and it's pronounced, "Sh'-nade], with her last name being O'Connor. Now, I don't think there is a Sade here [at least not one who's "famous" ~ :lol: this one not being famous enough for me to get her name right!].
George.Wright

Sade

Post by George.Wright »

a smooth singer of nigerian birth who was popular in the UK some time ago pronounced Shar day.
I was making the comparison of the smoothness and mellowing of leonard's voice.
georges
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Georges. I'm glad to see there's another, much better reference that you were drawing upon for comparison.
Linda

Post by Linda »

While traveling, I was listening to Ten New Songs and decided to really listen to That Don't Make it Junk I have all along really liked that song for some reason, maybe the George Jones ending :D
It seemed so simple at first and must be one of his shorter songs, but those few verses simply sum up our life. To me it is a very religious song, as all the songs on that album are. This is the Leonard Cohen I love.
Linda
Voel

Post by Voel »

I really loved "Alexandra Leaving" It is based on a poem by the greek poet K.P. Kavafis, one of the best modern-day Greek poets, and one of my own favourites. When I first heard "Alexandra" it sounded oftly familiar.

I think it's one of the best songs about loss

Terry
NR

Post by NR »

I like it, but give me the wall of sound from Memories anyday.
10p
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

I think Ten new songs is a much more at peace album than death of a ladies man. DOALD was a broad concept but Cohen was much too nervous and only a crack of the brillance shone through
Will

Ten New Songs

Post by Will »

sorry everyone, but ten new songs isn't any good. and neither is death of a ladies man
will
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

sorry will, but i think ten new songs are masterpiece...
everyone has right to his own thinking, don't we?:-)
regards
tom
Will

Post by Will »

shit Tom, that was quick
here it is: a great song....the rest of it just isn't too good...i think leonard churned it out cos he had to...and couldn't go anywhere after i'm your man and the future and now i have to go as my son wants to play with some plastiscene (spelling?)
will

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”