CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by jarkko »

This concert in San José will conclude an amazing tour. Looking forward to a great night!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by sturgess66 »

It's still two hours to show time - so these are all obviously pre-show tweets.

Sometimes there is a vague feeling of possibly intruding on/reading/listening to people's private conversations - but for one minor detail. These are "TWEETS" - that people have sent out for anybody/everybody/all to see. That is Twitter. :lol:
novabella Leonard Cohen fans: join us for a post show cocktail after the San Jose show tonight @ Fairmont Hotel Lobby Lounge. Let the lovers gather!
vivi_best Just got an invite to fly down to LA for the weekend to meet with Leonard Cohen's manager to talk about potential book. Too excited to speak about 5 hours ago from Echofon
annaraven RT @xsanguin: My friend @novabella is trying to get a post Leonard Cohen tweetup together tonight after the show, please RT! about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck
annaraven RT @xsanguin: Leonard Cohen fans:post show cocktail after the San Jose show tonight @ Fairmont Hotel Lobby Lounge. (via @novabella) about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck
XTommyTheKatX On the way to San Jose to see Leonard Cohen play the last show of his world tour. Been waiting literally half my life to see him play. about 4 hours ago from mobile web
Notmi Getting our grub on for a quick flight to San Jose for LEONARD COHEN and his last tour performance. about 4 hours ago from TwitterBerry
la_perkins just over 6 hours to Leonard Cohen time! about 4 hours ago from web
uuilly Going to see Leonard Cohen tonight. about 4 hours ago from Tweetie
XTommyTheKatX On the way to San Jose to see Leonard Cohen play the last show of his world tour. Been waiting literally half my life to see him play. about 4 hours ago from mobile web
:D :D
blowsmyskirtup Going to go see Pirate Radio before hitting the HP Pavilion for Leonard Cohen. about 3 hours ago from web
area525 Leonard Cohen down in San Jose tonight -- I've waited nearly 30 years to see the man and I'm SICK. This is so unfair but I'm medicated... about 3 hours ago from web
:cry:
jeremyhelm Leonard Cohen tonight in San Jose - tonight will be fine, will be fine, will be fine about 2 hours ago from twidroid
raindrops_SF Leonard Cohen tix gone missing. Slight possibility to replace - we paid cash, but I have a pic of them. Still a crapshoot. 'Salways somethin about 1 hour ago from web
:cry:
jonsavage At a pre concert party prior to attendiing Leonard Cohen in a couple of hours. The bar is ours! 40 of us here. 38 minutes ago from TweetDeck
pacificbrewnews Is in San Jose enjoying a glass of wine before Leonard Cohen takes stage at 8. 9 minutes ago from Echofon
michiexile It seems I'll see Leonard Cohen live in San Jose tonight. 4 minutes ago from txt
aokarim Off to see some pitchfork flash-in-the-pan named Leonard Cohen. 27 minutes ago from txt
theJAGster http://twitpic.com/pfiph - An incredible concert last night. Leonard Cohen - an incredible man. 18 minutes ago from TwitPic
hhollick 3 best concerts of my life: Neil Diamond, Chicago 1985; Lyle Lovett, Princeton, 2006; Leonard Cohen, Durham 2009 17 minutes ago from web
miranda622 How do you know if you are at a Leonard Cohen or Bruce Springsteen show? Let this be your guide. http://su.pr/1Htump about 1 hour ago from Su.pr
Kcecelia At the Fairmont in San Jose. Going to the HP Pavilion to see Leonard Cohen. 16 minutes ago from Twittelator
davidalanmorgan Leonard Cohen, row 10, I'm youe man! 10 minutes ago from MOTOBLUR
moontechstudios We've arrived in San Jose at The Hotel De Anza. This is such a nice hotel. Next we're off to see Leonard Cohen. about 4 hours ago from Twittelator
We also got a private invitation to Leonard Cohen's after party. What? Oh yes. 6 minutes ago from Twittelator
blowsmyskirtup Sure, I could've walked to the Pavilion but the bus was there & I'm lazy. The driver & I are bonding over our mutual Leonard Cohen love. 1 minute ago from txt
:lol:
cgirardmusic Sitting here at HP Pavilion in San Jose with Paul Coca. 1 hr to downbeat for Leonard Cohen. 5 minutes ago from Ping.fm
thismirage http://twitpic.com/pfnh7 - Stage an hour for leonard cohen concert!!! 2 minutes ago from TwitPic
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

People really are twitty tonight.

This one will keep you busy - :D
albero_0803 Leonard Cohen Pictures: http://bit.ly/3yMjN7 via @addthis 11 minutes ago from web
A lotta pictures! Older/newer.
daniellelaporte 20 minutes to Leonard Cohen. I can hardly breathe. 2 minutes ago from txt
Pictures of the venue -
djmacalintal Okay, who's Leonard Cohen? Waiting for his concert to begin at the SJ Arena. http://twitpic.com/pfrlx 1 minute ago from Echofon
BillShepp http://twitpic.com/pfs8m - Much better seats for Leonard Cohen than I expected - floor, row 13. 5 minutes ago from TwitPic
saltinekrispy I'm at a Leonard Cohen concert in San Jose. Haaaay! 5 minutes ago from Echofon
jonsavage Leonard Cohen should be onstage in just a few minutes 4 minutes ago from TweetDeck
johnperrybarlow On the way to San Jose to hear Leonard Cohen for the 2nd time since May. Meanwhile, he's been on road for 6 months. 2 minutes ago from web
caroompas Getting ready for Leonard Cohen's final US show at San Jose's HP Pavilion. 2 minutes ago from TweetDeck
nadyne has good seats for the Leonard Cohen show at @hppavillion - http://twitpic.com/pftd8 #fb 4 minutes ago from Twitterrific
susankrlib I'm sitting with the equivalent the Mid-California Chapinheads for Leonard Cohen-someone just handed me a light stick. #fb 3 minutes ago from UberTwitter
moontechstudios Moments till Leonard Cohen: http://twitpic.com/pftww 1 minute ago from Twittelator
CJHayden Leonard Cohen is about to walk onstage here in San Jose. Thrilled to be seeing him live after being a fan for decades. 2 minutes ago from Ping.fm
maewills Great seats! So excited to see Leonard Cohen - Photo: http://bkite.com/2660v 1 minute ago from Brightkite
AND SO IT STARTS -
metronewspaper via @stevepalopoli: Leonard Cohen just came onstage at hp to a standing ovation. 3 minutes ago from GroupTweet
And opens with Dance Me To The End of Love and The Future. about 2 hours ago from GroupTweet
mutgoff In a suite at Leonard Cohen. This is fun! http://yfrog.com/7hybobj 2 minutes ago from Tweetie
trammell In San Jose with wonderful company for Leonard Cohen. The guy still has it. I want to be this man when I grow up. http://yfrog.com/5a255aj 1 minute ago from Tweetie
DanKimball in San Jose at Leonard Cohen concert with my friend Brad. Leonard is 70-something years old. Magical and a legend. 11 minutes ago from txt
DanKimball Leonard Cohen often drops to his knees while singing. Eyes closed like he is praying. 2 minutes ago from txt
KathyHarget Leonard Cohen is amazing tonight at the hp pavillion in San Jose! 1 minute ago from txt
BoBurlingham At HP Pavilion in San Jose with Lisa for An Evening with Leonard Cohen. Indescribably fantastic! Lisa's birthday present. 30 minutes ago from Twitterrific
soozworld What a treat to see and hear Leonard Cohen live...velvety smooth voice! My first US gig too. 28 minutes ago from Twitterrific
winnig In between sets at the Leonard Cohen concert. He is full of so much awesomeness, and is the most gracious performer ever. Band is great. 28 minutes ago from Twitterrific
uuilly At Leonard Cohen show. A rare glimpse of a master. 25 minutes ago from Tweetie
frommany1 Leonard Cohen show is sublime. Perfect poetry melded w/ perfect music. Audience ready to take Manhattan. Need more music, arts in schools. 21 minutes ago from txt
schwindlar In San Jose watching one of the best performers ever: Leonard Cohen! 20 minutes ago from HTC Peep
RachelKathryn8 how in god's name have I lived for 21 years without Leonard Cohen in my life?! 20 minutes ago from web
metronewspaper via @stevepalopoli: Three standing ovations for Leonard Cohen and the show's only half over. 2 minutes ago from GroupTweet
moontechstudios Leonard Cohen, 20 minutes ago: http://twitpic.com/pgmgl about 4 hours ago from Twittelator
CathyE There are actually women tearing their blouses off while Leonard Cohen sings Closing Time about 5 hours ago from Tweetie
trammell Amazing!!! Leonard Cohen just wooed this place for three and a half hours. When I'm 75, I hope I can do ANYTHING for three and a half hours. about 5 hours ago from Tweetie
sarahdoran http://twitpic.com/pgn5j - leonard cohen on stage about 4 hours ago from TwitPic
bean My hat's off to you, Leonard Cohen. (via @kari_mah) He and the band were magnificent. A spry and sexy 75!! about 4 hours ago from Tweetie
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Been watching the Isle of Wight dvd tonight and thinking of you all..........so far and yet so near......
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
mirka

Post by mirka »

Great concert, with both new songs, and lot of polka dot blouses (hope Leonard liked them.... :D :lol:
Leonard and the band definitely deserve a break.

ps.
was sooo glad to put faces on familiar avatars (Lizzy, Diana, MaryB, Maarten, Mollydog, friscogrl, Bill's Bar, Vlasta, sorry if I forgot somebody, it was quite hectic)
sorry couldn't stay for the party (just injured my knee), hope to see you all guys next year in Krakow :D
Last edited by mirka on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
phillip

Post by phillip »

GREAT:) hope he has a good break now

phillip from UK England
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

great concert. great audience, great atmosphere. great performance.

highlights were:

Rosco, Hattie and Rafael in the foyer before the concert, doing the meet and greet routine, and doing it very charmingly
a masterful performance on stage by LC and by the band
the performance of 2 new songs, the Prisoner song and the Darkness - that latter particularly showing evolving signs of maturity
and an additional, extra encore - Democracy is coming to the USA - with a somewhat cautious introduction - "this is not about the present regeim, the previous regeim or the future regeim, its about you and me" - the response to this was just a little muted

all in all - a good night
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

Amazing show in San Jose last night. New songs ... long encores ... just fabulous. The man is amazing! Nice to finally put faces to names. Good to meet you all.

Misty
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I am still in the San Jose hotel packing up to go home after a 12 day adventure of 5 concerts in Leonard Cohen concert paradise. So just a few preliminary thoughts.

Number one thought this morning, is a tremendous THANK YOU, JARKKO for everything you do to enhance all the fans' enjoyment. :D I would never have undertaken this amazing, awesome (and exhausting) concert journey were it not for you.

Many thanks to ladydi/Diana and to mutti/Leslie for organizing all the great happenings in both Las Vegas and San Jose. Your grace and "sense of moment" are impeccable.

Thanks also to Maarten for his beautiful artistic name tags and lanyards. It made it easy to spot other fans whether we knew them from before or not. Fans introducing themselves happened in many places because of wearing the name tags. People in the audience often asked me, "How can I get one of those name tags?" Ah, that was my cue to tell them about leonardcohenforum.com.

For now, I just want to share two highlights from last night's concert in San Jose.

One highlight was the awesome sight of the forum fans gently waving their green light tubes during Suzanne.

mutti/Leslie's idea for this was obviously appreciated by LC when during the song he added. "Thank you for the lights, Friends."

Albert Noonan has assured me that he captured this and I eagerly await seeing his video soon. For now, here is my humble video of Suzanne. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsjO4kWsfQU

The other highlight was the feeling of great emotion when I looked out at the hockey arena of about 17,000 people giving Leonard Cohen a standing ovation. (And you all know by now my feelings about concerts in a hockey arena.) It was overwhelming!
SJ STANDING OVATION.JPG
---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

What a night! I finally succumbed to the temptation (with "little" persuasion from "The Management" at home) and made it to both Las Vegas and San Jose.

Here is one of the highlights of last night in San Jose.

Closing Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioLvJ3DmUg

enjoy., more to come...

albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
CarolineM

Post by CarolineM »

ROTFL!!! :lol:

thanks for sharing the video :)

I wish I'd been there... :cry:
Ottawa - May 25, 2009 / Ottawa - May 26, 2009 / NYC - October 23, 2009
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Temptation and management knew best Albert! :D :D

I just watched "Closing Time" - so glad you captured that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the end of your video, I see Bob Metzer holding up and examining one of the blouses. :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to hearing more details from those "women." :lol: :lol:
arjacksonmiller

Post by arjacksonmiller »

It was a magnificent show. Thank you to the forum members for the glow sticks, the blouse-throwing antics, and the fantastic spirit which infected the whole audience. You guys are great.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

IrishAL wrote:What a night! I finally succumbed to the temptation (with "little" persuasion from "The Management" at home) and made it to both Las Vegas and San Jose.

Here is one of the highlights of last night in San Jose.

Closing Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioLvJ3DmUg

enjoy., more to come...

albert
Another masterpiece! Thank you, Albert. Your video confirmed what I thought I noticed last night. LC lost his place around 1.18. No wonder. I was sitting on the side and the sight of all those forum fans throwing dozens of blouses on the stage was absolutely awesome. No wonder LC went off his lines. I guess one just had to be there!
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Was there any nudity involved? I couldn't make out what you were showing at 5.00... :D :D :D
"We are so lightly here"

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”