CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
LisaLCFan

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks so much, bridger15, for capturing Leonard's hilarious intro to Chelsea Hotel #2! :lol: I'm still laughing!

I'll be seeing you in Las Vegas (tomorrow!)! Looking forward to it all! Cheers!
sue7

Post by sue7 »

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2009/11/ ... ohen_a.php

Concert Review: Leonard Cohen at the Midland
By Scott Wilson in Last Night's Show

Tue., Nov. 10 2009 @ 12:55PM
The ticket admonished: "8 p.m. sharp." And at 7:58 last night, the lights inside the Midland dimmed, and a low-voltage current of recorded flamenco music swept six musicians and three singers onto the stage. Then Leonard Cohen bounded out -- bounded, like someone on his way to high-five Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan. The first song: "Dance Me to the End of Love." Mission accomplished.

The 75-year-old poet and songwriter spent three and a half hours (less an intermission) dancing an enraptured crowd to the farthest reaches of ... well, if not love, then whatever it is that animates his graceful ballads of devotion and dissipation. All night he prowled the stage with feline grace -- crouching fast in supplication to his own lyrics, twisting upward on his toes when the beat kicked in, doffing his narrow-brimmed fedora in courtly deference to his backing singers, locking his knees together in mock-Jagger sexual panic. To call him merely spry would do a disservice to senior water-aerobics classes everywhere. What should have looked like Abe Vigoda auditioning for the Backstreet Boys was closer to seeing Michael Jackson moonwalk for the first time. No one who was there will forget it.

​Not that it takes steady kinetic demonstration to sell Cohen's songs, which dance easily from wry biblical allusions to naked propositions and back again, with waltzing pit stops for drinks and blood-in-the-eyes jealousy and thwarted obsession. To long for the spirit is to crave the flesh is to beg forgiveness is to be denied healing. The stillest moment of the night came late, when verses from an early, unrecorded version of his 2001 song "A Thousand Kisses Deep" rumbled from his chest with no accompaniment besides his faded Canadian accent, and no movement in the house except the holding of breath. He earned a laugh at the start with the lines You came to me this morning/And you handled me like meat/You´d have to be a man to know/How good that feels, how sweet.

It would be crude and incorrect to say that a barb like that (axiomatic as it may be) sums up Cohen's late-period worldview, but the set gave more than fair voice to the most poetic -- and most jaundiced -- of these newer songs. There and with "In My Secret Life" and "Boogie Street" (frequent Cohen songwriting partner Sharon Robinson sang the latter last night), the simmering carnal regret (and fresh longing) of his early songs settled into the dusty landscape of 1992's apocalyptic The Future, represented at the Midland by the title song, "Anthem," a sprint-paced "Closing Time" and the heartbreaking epic of romantic entropy "Waiting for the Miracle." Taken together, the post-1992 material adds up to a kind of sex manual for the end of days.

The only problem last night wasn't onstage -- and it was less a problem than a sometimes aggravating curiosity. Especially in the show's first half, a few people on the floor at the Midland greeted a surprising assortment of lines in Cohen's songs with arena-style cheers, little viral ululations signaling approval without much attention to, you know, context.

Well, sure -- you wait a lifetime for the man's first-ever appearance in Kansas City, and you might blow up a little when he finally, finally, finally sings ... I know what is wrong and what is right (from "In My Secret Life")? Really? Old black Joe still picking cotton for your ribbons and bows ("Everybody Knows")? Hmm. Even the scream for We are ugly but we have the music from "Chelsea Hotel #2" rang a little false; what, Leonard Cohen is emo now?

Things calmed down some during the second half, when the downstairs bar closed and the first balcony ran out of red wine (I'm told). In the interest of participation, however belated, here are a couple of lines I would totally have gunned it for if I were into letting the people sitting around me at concerts know that my ticket is more important than their ticket: I tuned the old banjo ("Boogie Street") -- OWWW! YEAH! She sends her regards ("Famous Blue Raincoat") -- WOO! REGARDS! Let your mercy spill ("If It Be Your Will") -- DAMN, LEN! SPILL!

At the core of the note-perfect band were guitarist Bob Metzger and bass player (and bandleader) Roscoe Beck. Both have worked with Cohen for decades on and off the road. (Our sister paper in Dallas interviewed Beck not long ago.) No less crucial was Javier Mas, who deployed a caravan of exotic stringed instruments to deepen the textures of every song he played on. (Cohen discovered Mas after the Spaniard contributed to a Cohen tribute album in his home country.) Dino Soldo blew a variety of wind instruments but might have made his most lasting impression with a couple of unexpected virtuoso turns on chromatic harmonica. Appropriately for much of the set, keyboard player Neil Larsen found nagging martial chords and David Lynchian hums for songs like "Everybody Knows" and "First We Take Manhattan." He shone whenever he drove his Hammond B3 to the dark end of the street, as during the startling "Hallelujah."

When Cohen emerged for the night's second half, standing at a small keyboard ("I don't want to alarm you, but I'm going to fire this up," he said before starting "Tower of Song." "This thing plays by itself"), he told the audience, "Thank you so much for not going home." No, Leonard Cohen. Thank you for not staying home.

Setlist

"Dance Me to the End of Love"
"The Future"
"Ain't No Cure for Love"
"Bird on the Wire"
"Everybody Knows"
"In My Secret Life"
"Who By Fire"
"Chelsea Hotel #2"
"Waiting for the Miracle"
"Anthem"

Intermission

"Tower of Song"
"Suzanne"
"Sisters of Mercy"
"The Gypsy's Wife"
"That Other Blues Song"
"The Partisan"
"Boogie Street"
"Hallelujah"
"I'm Your Man"
"A Thousand Kisses Deep" (recited)
"Take This Waltz"

Encores:
"So Long, Marianne"
"First We Take Manhattan"
"Famous Blue Raincoat"
"If It Be Your Will"
"Closing Time"
"I Tried to Leave You"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Sue - I like the second paragraph (Scott Wilson above) -
The 75-year-old poet and songwriter spent three and a half hours (less an intermission) dancing an enraptured crowd to the farthest reaches of ... well, if not love, then whatever it is that animates his graceful ballads of devotion and dissipation. All night he prowled the stage with feline grace -- crouching fast in supplication to his own lyrics, twisting upward on his toes when the beat kicked in, doffing his narrow-brimmed fedora in courtly deference to his backing singers, locking his knees together in mock-Jagger sexual panic. To call him merely spry would do a disservice to senior water-aerobics classes everywhere. What should have looked like Abe Vigoda auditioning for the Backstreet Boys was closer to seeing Michael Jackson moonwalk for the first time. No one who was there will forget it.
Mention of the "arena-style cheers, little viral ululations signaling approval without much attention to, you know, context" and then some humor - of some sort - of possible "like" participation -
Things calmed down some during the second half, when the downstairs bar closed and the first balcony ran out of red wine (I'm told). In the interest of participation, however belated, here are a couple of lines I would totally have gunned it for if I were into letting the people sitting around me at concerts know that my ticket is more important than their ticket: I tuned the old banjo ("Boogie Street") -- OWWW! YEAH! She sends her regards ("Famous Blue Raincoat") -- WOO! REGARDS! Let your mercy spill ("If It Be Your Will") -- DAMN, LEN! SPILL!
:razz:

Here's another one - from "Back to Rockville" - the music Blog for the Kansas City Star - there are some gorgeous pictures and I have uploaded a couple that I like (not in order that the reviewer places them) - so check out the link for more! A set list at the bottom.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back ... cohen.html
November 10, 2009

Review: Leonard Cohen

Photos by Chris Oberholtz/The Star

Like some upper-level graduate course, this show came with some prerequisites: You needed to know the music of Leonard Cohen, and the more intimately the better. You also needed to appreciate his singing voice, which, these days, comes from somewhere between Barry Whites' and a lighter shade of Darth Vader's.

Monday night as the clock struck 8 p.m., Cohen skipped onto the stage of the Midland theater in the wake of the band of backup singers and musicians who nearly stole his own show from him. He would tip his hat a few dozen times and deliver 27 songs, a few dozen thank-yous, one hallelujah, a few droll wisecracks and a reading of one of his own poems that aroused one of the spine-tingliest moments of the year.

Cohen is 75, but he sang with equal sincerity and indifference about love and sodomy, war and transcendence, life and death. And for most of a show that lasted almost three hours (plus a 30 minute intermission), he kept his sold-out crowd enraptured. It was his first show ever in Kansas City; and many in the place were seeing someone they'd been listening to for decades and only dreamed of seeing live. He gave them plenty to rave about, including a six-song encore.

There is much to write about, starting with the performance of his outstanding band and background singers. All night they artfully colored, embroidered and adorned his songs and embellished his vocals, especially Javier Mas on bandurria, 12-string acoustic guitar (and others), Dino Soldo, on sax, clarinet (and others) and Neil Larsen on keyboards and Hammond B3 (his solo during "Hallelujah" was divine).

He brought a drummer, Rafael Gayol, but the way the sound was mixed, he was almost parenthetical -- way in the back, literally and figuratively, gently keeping time. The vocals, however, were another thing. The three singers to his right weren't exactly background singers; they were front and center and they carried equal weight for many songs. He gave them their own solo moments: Sharon Robinson on "Boogie Street," which gave the song an Everything But the Girl vibe; and the Webb sisters on "If It Be Your Will."

The mood all night was organic and loose -- not free-wheeling, but unbuttoned. At times the show took on a cabaret or Kurt Weill vibe.

The crowd made noise a few times, mostly when Cohen sang a line that resonated and prompted some whoops and applause, like "I was born with the gift of a golden voice," during "Tower of Song," "There's not much entertainment / And the critics are severe," during "Waiting for the Miracle," and "There is a crack in everything / that's how the light gets in," during "Anthem."

His audience remained in a suspended state of reverence and glee all night. He repaid them with humility, gratitude and humor. By night's end, he'd introduced his band at least twice and thanked his lighting director.

Before "Chelsea Hotel #2," he told a story about escaping to Miami 40 years ago: "I was taking a vacation from deep authenticity," he deadpanned. During "The Future," he altered the lyrics to "There'll be fires on the road / and white girls dancing." As he sang the line, the Webb sisters took a step back and executed perfect synchronized cartwheels. And during "Hallelujah," he added some local flavor to a lyric: "I didn't come to the Midland theater to fool you ..."

I suppose some moments were better than others, but this show was a lot like the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" show out at Starlight last year: relentless in how good it was. You could argue that the second (and longer) half was more powerful than the first, but that verges on hair-splitting and nit-picking.

One of the finer moments was Cohen's stunning recitation of "A Thousand Deep Kisses," which brought the house to a spell-bound silence as he delivered lines like: "I loved you when you opened / Like a lily to the heat / You see I’m just another snowman / Standing in the rain and sleet ..."

Many singers have covered his songs, but last night Cohen reclaimed all of them, including "Hallelujah," most of which he performed on his knees. He also took back "Suzanne" and during his gorgeous altered version of "Bird on the Wire," he sounded like a guy delivering the definitive cover version of his own song.

He gave us a new song, one that's (apparently) titled "The Other Blues Song" (or "Feels So Good"). It's a song about emerging from heartache, about feeling better about loving someone less. The crowd applauded several lines that everyone related to, especially: "I feel like they tore away my blindfold and said, 'We're gonna let this prisoner live' ..."

You could say his best songs do the same thing: liberate his listeners by letting them perceive new truths, by unbinding blindfolds and letting in the light.

| Timothy Finn, The Star

Setlist: Dance Me to the End of Love; The Future; Ain't No Cure for Love; Bird on the Wire; Everybody Knows; In My Secret Life; Who By Fire; Chelsea Hotel #2; Waiting for the Miracle; Anthem. Intermission. Tower of Song; Suzanne; Sisters of Mercy; The Gypsy's Wife; The Other Blues Song (Feels So Good); The Partisan; Boogie Street; Hallelujah; I'm Your Man; A Thousand Kisses Deep; Take This Waltz. Encores: So Long, Marianne; First We Take Manhattan; Famous Blue Raincoat; If It Be Your Will; Closing Time; I Tried to Leave You.

Posted at 07:22 AM | Permalink
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

sturgess66 wrote:
To call him merely spry would do a disservice to senior water-aerobics classes everywhere. What should have looked like Abe Vigoda auditioning for the Backstreet Boys was closer to seeing Michael Jackson moonwalk for the first time. No one who was there will forget it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Mabeanie1 »

LisaLCFan wrote:Thanks so much, bridger15, for capturing Leonard's hilarious intro to Chelsea Hotel #2! :lol: I'm still laughing!
It is SO WONDERFUL to hear these long rambling stories again. This is what I loved so much about earlier tours and what I have missed most in the 2008-9 tour.

I hope Leonard is in a similarly "reflective" mood in Vegas and San Jose - and that there are no curfews of course!

Wendy
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

sue7 wrote:http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2009/11/ ... ohen_a.php

Concert Review: Leonard Cohen at the Midland
By Scott Wilson in Last Night's Show

Tue., Nov. 10 2009 @ 12:55PM
Dino Soldo blew a variety of wind instruments but might have made his most lasting impression with a couple of unexpected virtuoso turns on chromatic harmonica. Appropriately for much of the set, keyboard player Neil Larsen found nagging martial chords and David Lynchian hums for songs like "Everybody Knows" and "First We Take Manhattan." He shone whenever he drove his Hammond B3 to the dark end of the street, as during the startling "Hallelujah."
Super review, sue7. Thanks for posting it. While sitting on the plane to LV today, I was recalling more highlights from last night's KC concert. If I remember things these days, they have to be darn memorable. Two of my notes were about Neil Larsen and Dino Soldo.

Interesting that in my own note about Larsen, I used the exact same word as the reviewer, he "shone". Sometimes, Leonard seemed to be directing, liasing with him, turning towards him or completely turning his back to the audience, with a nod to Larsen like a cue. That happened in both the blues songs that I have seen. They seem to be working closely together on these songs.

During "It's Time To Leave You" when each band member is featured, Dino was extraordinary. He sat perched on a low monitor speaker and produced the most dazzling, thrilling mouth harp (harmonica) solo. I was lucky to be sitting so close to the stage on that side, otherwise he may have been hard to see, he was so low to the stage. Note to videographers for the next two concerts: Watch for Dino's solos. He has varied the instruments and the delivery in the last three concerts.

---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

What a spectacular night! The energy level was high, both on and off stage - not as hushed and reverent as I'd experienced before. A highlight was meeting Arlene - what a fabulous lady! And several of the band came out for quite a while, a nice treat. We're flying home tomorrow, so I'll post some pics and video when I get home. Have a great time in LV and SJ everyone!!!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks Kelsey! Hope the little ones enjoyed the trip...are you introducing the girls to Leonard? Looking forward to your review after I return from Las Vegas/San Jose. Will be thinking of you....wish you could be there too but totally understand! Family first...with a little LC mixed in! :D

Have a safe trip home!

Hugs to all,
Diana

ps..I'm looking forward VERY much to meeting Arlene also!
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
dan l

Post by dan l »

KC show was great.

After missing out on Atlanta, I decided to give myself a present for my birthday (Nov 9) and see KC show, so lucky to snag a row 3 ticket on Ticketmaster just 3 weeks ago!!

Audience very enthusiastic, almost too enthusiastic. ( I think LC a bit pissed when a yelp came right at his intro to '1000 Kisses . .' poem). Then again, lots of smiles, more than at Sunrise. Liked the intro to Chelsea, cool he mentioned Miami, since that's where I flew up from, thanks for uploading. He booked out of there quick at end, no background strings/long goodbye/ or introduction road management crew like at Sunrise.

The extra lines in 'So Long, Marianne' at KC show: is that somewhere on here? I did not notice them in Boston or Sunrise. Thoughts?

I came home today and listened to 'Essential LC" on way back from airport, what blew me away is how many of the songs played last night had better arrangements than on studio tracks, esp. If It Be Your Will, Everybody Knows, Closing Time. also Partisan (and did we get an extra French verse in KC?)

It will be interesting if there's a special farewall SJ Friday. Have fun guys.

Dan

Carnegie Hall May 1985, Wang/Boston May 2009, Sunrise Oct 2009, Midland Nov 2009
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

KaimiK wrote: We're flying home tomorrow, so I'll post some pics and video when I get home.
At the early entry, meet and greet with the band, I think I overheard you asking Roscoe Beck about FRED. So what is the latest news, Kelsey?

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

My last videos from the fabulous KC concert.
They are whole songs.
They are close up.
They may not be the greatest, but they were captured with love.

DANCE ME TO THE END OF LOVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPXcz8Cqc58

BIRD ON THE WIRE
LC thanked the audience for their warm welcome...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBV6z0QhpWo

EVERYBODY KNOWS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Fx4aUUDYY

THE FUTURE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedjkpHoDTk

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Collage of pictures from the early entry at the AMC Midland Theatre.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arlenedick1 ... 9237977330

We were graced with the wondeful, generous spirit of Roscoe Beck for the whole time. It looked to me like Roscoe must have talked to every person in the lobby, and assisted later by the guietly elegant Bob Metzger, whom I met for the first time. Also talking to the Forum fans and others in the lobby were Dino Soldo and Raphael Bernardo Gayol.

Our most enthusiastic Forum Cohenite was Kelsey (KaimiK) who was super excited and glowing the whole time. It was most enjoyable to watch her.

---Arlene
edit. The chap in the plaid shirt on the right with me is Tim, the Merch man, in civvies. Later he suited up in the usual black fedora and black shirt garb.

KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

bridger15 wrote:Our most enthusiastic Forum Cohenite was Kelsey (KaimiK) who was super excited and glowing the whole time. It was most enjoyable to watch her.
Yes, I'm afraid I was quite beside myself! When I started listening to Leonard about 10 years ago, I was convinced he would never tour again. And then I thought Seattle would be the first and last show I'd ever see. And then, I plotted and planned to get to Red Rocks, but couldn't stay for the postponed show. And then, to my utter amazement, they came back again! But, I have an almost three year old and a newborn, I couldn't possibly go to any shows... But, we plotted and planned again, up at 3am for our flight (with the kiddos!) had enough luggage for two yaks, survived two flights, settled the little ones in for the night with my wonderful husband babysitting, managed to get to the show early, and there I was, chatting with those wonderful fellows, charming Arlene, and just about to see Leonard, again!!! I could not have been more thrilled, unless Leonard himself had been right there!

I did tell Roscoe I'd be in trouble with Mary and Diana if I didn't ask about Fred. He assured me he'd seen Fred that very day and had suggested to Fred's "keeper" that they might consider posting some pics for us! That's the latest...hopefully more to come!

**EDIT** - Arlene, you were so great with everyone and taking pictures that I mentioned to Roscoe that they should hire you to tour with them as the official fan club greeter and he thought that was a great idea! ;-)
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

Arlene (as in bridger15) or a different Arlene? :) I assumed it was something from this show...anyone notice the red socks? :shock:
Attachments
dino's twitter
dino's twitter

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”