CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

Post by bridger15 »

rsz_midlandrsz_1img_0640.jpg
Everything's up to date in Kansas City, except the marquee and billboards. I did a dry run from my hotel to see how close the Midland is. At noon, I couldnt find any trace of LC bills anywhere on the outside of the building.

I passed by the loading dock and the equipment trucks had just arrived. I asked the security man what all the activity was about. He replied that there is a show tonight but he had forgotten the name. Don't 'ya just love it.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
kirkesque

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

Post by kirkesque »

"Give me back the Berlin Wall..."

This lyric has special meaning tonight, doesn't it? Wish I could see the show again. :)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

A quick concert report for now.

Very heavy bass sound tonight
The building rocked
The band rocked
Leonard Cohen rocked
The KC audience rocked

Many standing ovations
Wildly enthusiastic and very appreciative audience.
It made Leonard smile a lot. The band too.

No DARKNESS
-He went back to Blues #2, Feel so good (prisoner/blindfold/coffee)
-His patter before Chelea Hotel was priceless
-Intro to Anthem with The Flood
uploading these three videos

He signed off FBR, Sincerely, A friend like he did in Nashville

---Arlene

ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks Arlene for your wonderful report! Have you been hired on as one of the crew yet?! I think you've hit every concert for the past 10 days! :D The concerts have been thrilling with the new songs and the energy....now we have Las Vegas and San Jose coming up, and I know the excitement has been building in so many of us to almost a fever pitch!

Have a safe flight and see you TOMORROW! :D :D :D
Diana

ps..the least Leonard and the crew could do is save a seat for you on their charter! ;-)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

As I mentioned, the sound at the Midland was very heavy on the bass. In person, I loved it. I don't know how much this will affect the clarity of the videos when recorded with my camera's mic.

CHELSEA HOTEL
LC patter at the beginning is priceless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05n5vGUrnoQ

ANTHEM
At the start, LC speaks lines fron The Flood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37q_dhIbQ_w

Blues #2 FEELS SO GOOD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWmY-LVQeuc

tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Setlist anybody? I have some strange impression that when I open the concert reports lately I mostly can't find setlists any more... But I know it's more or less the same setlist:)
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

Arlene, thanks for the dispatches from the front! Sounds like another great concert. Can't wait for Friday :D :D
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

tomsakic wrote:Setlist anybody? I have some strange impression that when I open the concert reports lately I mostly can't find setlists any more... But I know it's more or less the same setlist:)
See the setlist thread for the Fall 2009 concerts
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18956&start=60#p204727

tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Nope, that's only the photos of the setlists, not the actual stage setlists (stagelists?). Before, we used to have typed stage setlists in every concert report, while in that thread you linked we used to have stage setlists only, while now those are lost among comments. Last weeks, I couldn't find the setlist easily (only by going to Maarten's PDF file online), only tweets, what was not the case with previous legs of the tour. But obviously it's just my obsessive-compulsive disorder again, to have the setlist quickly accessible in every singular concert report...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

tomsakic wrote:Nope, that's only the photos of the stage setlists. Before, we used to have typed setlists in every concert report. Last weeks, I couldn't find the setlist easily (only by going to Maarten's PDF file online), only tweets, what was not the case with previous legs of the tour. But obviously it's just my obsessive-compulsive disorder again, to have the setlist quickly accessible in every singular concert report...
Here is the basic 2009 NA Fall leg formula that I followed as precedent:
(That's the CPA (CA) approach by me. Jarkko, please protect me):

Look at the left side of photo stagelist
Subtract n/w to say goodbye
Add in its place reported substitute
Voila!

jpricekc

Post by jpricekc »

Hello everyone. Amazing show last night. I wanted to buy a poster last night but they were sold out. Anyone have an extra one they are willing to sell?

Cheers
samkahn

Post by samkahn »

Somebody posted Youtubes of the 3 Other Blues Song versions starting in Chicago (I think). Can somebody tell me where the thread is? I've looked all over. Many thankss.
vikingjuice

Post by vikingjuice »

Good Morning All !

I think this is my first post (or one of the first). I signed up here to get the FanClub PW to get good seats for last night's show.

First I will say I have waited many years to see this man. Due to having to deal with life, I was unable travel to Europe & Canada to see his shows in the past. But I still supported him by buying his cds & DVDs.

Wow what a show last night! The Midland Theatre Venue was remodeled just a few years ago. I have been there many times over the years and watched all the changes. It is beautiful now. I am sure Leonard & Co were delighted with it. This was the perfect venue for him. As for the Bass sound: I have been to shows at the Midland and noticed if you sit on the floor you get that bass sound. But last night I was in the cheap seats (because of the price.) The sound was FANTASTIC. Everyone was commenting on how crystal clear everything was. We were able to understand every single word he sang and spoke. By the looks of Arlene's videos, she must have been close to the front and on the floor.

I thought of keeping a set list but I really wanted to just sit there and take in the evening because I do not go to many concerts anymore. I brought along a co-worker who was just a casual Cohen fan. She attends many rock concerts (as she should because she is in her 30's). She was amazed by the sound & clarity in our seats. Plus the fact that a 75 yr old performer could do such a fabulous show compared to some of the newer bands out there! Just the length of the show impressed us both. The Continuity flowed perfect. At times I thought it might have been staged but from reading these posts looks like it wasn't.

The band: He couldn't have picked a better bunch of musicians to tour with. Totally professional in all ways. Props to Leonard for touring with older musicians.
Those Backup Singers: I loved them. They really ADD to the show. And I was so surprised to see Sharon Robinson on stage. I was wondering before the show who he would have singing the parts she did on the TNS cd. What a treat to get to see the original person with him. She is so lovely on stage.

Leonard: I do not know if you ever stop by these boards, but thank you for many years of beautiful music. One of THE BEST shows I have seen in my life.

On a side note: I was proud of the KC audience. Sometimes they can be a really difficult audience especially when it comes to audience participation. But they treated Leonard and the band with respect (Thank God..I was kinda holding my breath about it.) I almost didn't go to last night's show because of concert audiences in the past. St. L usually has a better audience and I usually travel there to see my favorite performers.

Thanks again for all the posts here.

~VJ
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Post by samkahn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 am
Somebody posted Youtubes of the 3 Other Blues Song versions starting in Chicago (I think). Can somebody tell me where the thread is? I've looked all over. Many thankss.
The three renditions of The Other Blues Song that preceded the KC show can be seen at http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/11/04/leona ... m-concert/
rmura

Post by rmura »

bridger15 wrote:Blues #2 FEELS SO GOOD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWmY-LVQeuc
Many thanks, bridger15.

Can anyone make out the lyrics of the third verse of "Feels So Good," as sung in K.C.?

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”