CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
KaimiK

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Kansas City, MO, November 9

Post by KaimiK »

Yes, this was our Arlene (bridger15)! Before the show, there was quite a conversation about her gift of socks to Dino!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene - Lovely photo collage! How did you miss Dino wearing your red socks? How did everyone else miss them? Red socks -definitely distinctive!

Kelsey - what a great post! I laughed heartily at the 'enough luggage for two yaks'. Better safe than sorry when traveling with children. Thank you for asking about Fred. Maybe that's why Joey posted a photo on his flcker/fauxmantic site - all because of you.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Kelsey and Arlene,

Sort of late in catching up with these posts, but I love everything from Kansas City! Kelsey, thanks for asking about Fred. I really do think that might be why Joey inserted a photo of him from LV with "Vegas Ed" and the silver sequined jacket! So good to see the little guy again! Arlene...your compilation of photos is fabulous! You will have to show me how to do those things....waaaay ahead of me! It was lovely! And so glad Dino wore your red socks! Just for the record...it was in Detroit that he forgot all his socks! I tried to help out and called the hotel but they wouldn't have anything to do with me....heck, it was only socks.... :roll:
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Diana - I'm glad I remembered to ask about Fred! I'm amazed I could come up with anything coherent to say anyway, so it was a great conversation helper anyway. Kansas City was such a treat, though I'm staying put until our little one is a bit older! Meeting Roscoe was sooo great, what a charming, down-to-earth fellow. Chatting with him was like hanging out with an old dear friend! Seeing Dino and Rafael again - awesome and that's all I have to say about that! ;-) And meeting Bob was a pleasant surprise, a lovely quiet gentleman. Every one of them has a wonderful energy about them. Can't wait for 2010 - I'm sure they'll play somewhere close to home...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

Diana, the hotel probably found out what you were planning to pull on the west coast and naturally thought you were calling about something involving "sex" not "socks"! Naturally, they would have nothing to do with such doings!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:Kelsey and Arlene,

Arlene...your compilation of photos is fabulous! You will have to show me how to do those things....waaaay ahead of me! It was lovely!
Thanks for your kind words, lustydi. I used Picasa3, a Google tool. You can download it from http://picasa.google.com/

After you have it installed and have chosen the pics you want and their position, you press a magic button on the bottom called "Collage". It does all the work for you. Looking foward to your Moscow pics. Go easy on the White Birch authentic Russian Vodka while doing this.
---Arlene
Picasa3 buttons.JPG
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Photos by Chris Oberholtz/The Star
:shock: 8) :shock: 8) :shock: 8) :shock: 8) :shock:

I can't BELIEVE the BEAUTY of these photos of Leonard... does Chris have a high-definition, look-into-the-soul lens 8) ?

Leonard's soul had its overjoyed-and-on-display day with this performance :D !

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here are two more videos that are not the greatest but I am posting them for the record. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the heavy bass sound that night was superb. The audience was enthusiasticly receptive. Leonard and the troupe felt it. It really was a great concert!

THE PARTISAN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCOeVsjlVM

WHO BY FIRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTEpDFu1lU

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
JCraig

Post by JCraig »

Fantastic concert earlier this month in KC. The renovated Midland is a special place. That work combined with LC's sound technicians and equipment allowed us to hear every syllable clearly, whether spoken or sung, by all singers.

Anyone know how to obtain a poster from that night; believe they had some made for each event. Alternatively, a poster for the North American tour?
RegularCliche

Post by RegularCliche »

I know I'm late getting to this, but here are a few pictures I took at the Kansas City show. They're not particularly high-quality, but here they are anyway.

Morgan
Attachments
IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2339_done.jpg
IMG_2335.JPG
2009: Oakland 2x, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Jose
2010: Sligo 2x, Lisbon, Caen, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Oakland 2x (again), Las Vegas 2x
RegularCliche

Post by RegularCliche »

Last edited by RegularCliche on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: Oakland 2x, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Jose
2010: Sligo 2x, Lisbon, Caen, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Oakland 2x (again), Las Vegas 2x
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Chelsea hotel 3.JPG
Intro to Chelsea Hotel in Kansas City is a special highlight

I had heard many versions and variations of Leonard Cohen meeting Janis Joplin in the Chelsea Hotel elevator and the Kris Kristofferson exchange. But I had never heard some of the very witty observations he related at the Kansas City concert. (in bold below)

The Kansas City audience was very boisterous and that helped to make the experience even more memorable. Luckily, I had my camera rolling and captured Leonard Cohen's delightful intro to the Chelsea Hotel on video. I was thrilled to be sitting there witnessing it. And it has remained one of the special highlights of the 16 concerts of the World Tour I attended.

http://youtu.be/05n5vGUrnoQ
I was sitting in this bar in Miami Beach
It was a Polynesian restaurant
And I was drinking a cocktail out of a ceramic vessel
that was fashioned to resemble a coconut

I was taking a vacation from the deeply authentic
It allowed what was left of my mind to drift back
to earlier days, to the 60's
which contrary to conventional wisdom
only lasted 15 minute
s

It was during that period
that I lived in the hotel on 23rd Street
I came home one night after a pointless evening
And I rode up to my room on the elevator
There was a lovely young woman in the elevator
of ordinary countenance,
but with a radiant spirit that (inaudible)

And being Canadian I kept to myself

I had occasion to come down to the lobby once again
And she was still in the elevator
apparently riding the elevator
And then when I took the elevator back to my room
she was still there

I eventually say, can I help you
She said, no
And I said, are you looking for someone
She said, yes I am
I'm looking for Kris Kristofferson
I said, little lady, you're in luck