CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

Post by sturgess66 »

I also took the lyrics to mean that he is not necessarily talking about a relationship that ended - but maybe a relationship that changed from how it used to be.
Feels so good baby, to see you smilin' back at me.
It's so good baby, not be each others VIP.
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

I've made the corrections to both those lines I had wrong. It's not just Canadian ears that hear things that aren't there or hear them wrong. Thanks to you all who led me back down the straight and narrow path! :lol:
Thanks also from me for getting the lyrics so perfectly! How many times did you have to watch the video?
Dunno. A couple of times. It just comes from years of being a reporter when the person you were talking to refused to let you use a tape recorder. :razz: You just learn to listen fast and write at the same time ... and thereby come the mistakes!
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
sue7

Post by sue7 »

sturgess66 wrote:When I first heard the lyrics, what came to mind was what Leonard said in 2006 the NRK Montreal interview where he talks about love and being in the presence of someone who forgives you - not operating in the mechanisms of blame and shame and guilt and repentance. And his good fortune and relief of being in the presence of people who habitually operate free of those other mechanisms - and how it is relaxing. In other words, leaving behind the torture and misery that can come with those mechanisms (blame, shame, guilt and repentance). In other words - being happy.

Here is the video - and he talks about this at the beginning -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkPNsmle5A
Thanks, Linda (and Diana) for this perspective. I think I felt some of that, which was why I was reacting to the song in an upbeat way, but you both expressed it much more clearly. I couldn't get the Youtube video to play, sadly. I watched part 1, which was lovely (you're such a wonderful resource, Linda), but part 2 is showing an error. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...
Sue
moubird

Post by moubird »

"the other blues song"?)

Feels so good baby
not to love you like I did.
Feels so good
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live.
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this prisoner live.
Feels so good baby
just to wake up in the morning by myself.
Cup of coffee in the kitchen, fire up a little danger to my health.
It's like the same old broken heart but it feels like it belongs to someone else.
I've got the same old broken heart but now it feels like it belongs to someone else.
Feels so good baby
to see you smiling back at me.
It's so good baby
not, not to be each other's VIP.
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this man go free.
It's like they tore away my blindfold and they said we're gonna let this man go free.
Feels so good
Feels so good
I don't know why but it just did.

This song's world premiere was on October 29, 2009 in the Rosemont Theatre in Chicago.
These are lyrics, as close as I could guess from listening to the video posted by Albert Noonan
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Sue - YouTube has been doing that to me A LOT lately - showing an error code. Sometimes if you just refresh, it will then work. I "googled" the problem and got lots of results - and apparently this happens frequently when YouTube is "doing stuff" - so I hope it goes away soon. Good interview (there are 3 videos).
mirka

Post by mirka »

remote1 wrote: It's not a very happy song, though, in fact it's quite sad... a break-up song... :(
Who do you think it is for?
I'd like to throw in my 2 cents: I think this is a song written by Leonard after a bitter-sweet meeting with Marianne in Norway.
I like a lot his approach to the past relationship, I feel it's a happy song about letting go, kind of resolution to 'Ain't no cure for love' :)
I'm curious if anybody else feels same about it ?

mirka
ps.
the music resembles a piece on the "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" sound track, cannot remember which one though...
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Funny that, I thought that it sounded very Bob Dylan like when I first heard it!
And I thought about Marianne as the possibe woman, but in the context of the encounter which I believe they had recently in Barcelona, when she showed up for his birthday (correct me if I've got that all mixed up ;-) )...

I understand that Leonard wants his relationships to be about unconditional love. Who doesn't? I'm interested that you all see this song as upbeat, and I agree that it is about "a relationship that changed from how it used to be", with a fairly positive outcome. I still find it rather bitter and sad, but as you say, Sue7, we can agree on what the song is about and feel differently about it! In my experience, when people come out of a difficult relationship, they almost universally celebrate their new found 'freedom' as a way of making themselves feel better. It's natural. But I don't think that a happy relationship robs you of your freedom...

Probably rambling now, sorry, still not fully awake! :)
Enjoying the chat about how differently people can react to a seemingly ultra simple song!
"We are so lightly here"
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

The melody reminds me a little Dylan's 'She Belongs To Me' but it is tenuous, maybe just that they both slightly horizontal. I thought that as soon as I heard it but hesitated to mention it but as someone else suggested a Dylan similarity...

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
remote1

Post by remote1 »

mirka wrote: the music resembles a piece on the "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" sound track, cannot remember which one though...
Could it be that Leonard borrowed the Bunkhouse Theme as a starting point for his new song?
Compare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9ZQdmx ... re=related & http://www.youtube.com/user/albertnoona ... amvw_WFiZc

I can't really tell because there is too much noise in my house (too many kids), but I've got the feeling you're on the right track there Mirka!
Excellent!The more I listen to the new song the more I love it! :)
"We are so lightly here"
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

In my experience, when people come out of a difficult relationship, they almost universally celebrate their new found 'freedom' as a way of making themselves feel better. It's natural. But I don't think that a happy relationship robs you of your freedom...
In my experience, you're absolutely right. I love this new song, too, and I hope we hear it over and over again. I think you're right on about the meaning in this song. "Free to be ... you and me" is absolutely the best.
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

The new song which seems to be taking on the title of "Feels So Good Baby" was indeed the highlight and special gift of the evening. I love all of the different interpretations of the lyrics which I am reading on this forum. This is what Leonards music is all about... His songs are written from personal experiences in his life and all of us can relate on one level or another to the lyrics through our own personal experiences ....He puts the song in the air and we listen .... This is how we all become connected .... Lizzy has a beautiful interpretation of this new song under the News section of this forum.

I feel so blessed to have been there to hear this song and to see and feel everyone's reaction.... I brought my sister Beth with me to this concert and she was so captivated by the whole experience of being there. Her first Leonard Cohen concert....

The concert once again was an incredible journey for me....However the audience was different than the Tampa audience.... by this I mean less energy in the crowd. Fewer standing ovations and some people seemed to be leaving early before the first and second encore.Yes only two encores..... I found this upsetting and can only rationalize it because the weather was bad and the Rosemont Theatre although very beautiful was at least 30-40 minutes outside of Chicago. With the bad weather and the concerts location and being on a week night creating traffic issues many people arrived late .There was a lot of movement and interruption after the concert began. When Leonard did not do a third encore with "Whither Thou Goest" I was concerned that this was because of the late arrivals and early departures of some of the audience which I am certain he was aware of from the stage. I was upset and disappointed with the audience ....but after reading some of the other entries on the concert..... perhaps the reason the final song and prayer were eleminated was because he sang the new song. I was just so shocked at people leaving early ..... Wild horses could not make me leave.....

My sister and I stayed until they made us leave the Theatre. Then we hurried to the outside stage door and stood in the rain in our black pantsuits and matching Fedora hats to try and catch a glimpse of Leonard and perhaps an autograph. Yes I admit it sounds like a couple of crazy teenage girls ... which we are not....I am sorry to say that we did not see Leonard because he left out another exit . Wet and disappointed we took a cab back to Chicago and savored the memories of the evening and incredible journey Leonard had taken us on... Our gift from Leonard was the new song and as much as I would love to meet him I am satisfied with what I have been given...The words "feels so good baby" danced in my head as I put my head to my pillow and covered my body with my warm cozy comforter.....
and then I fell a sleep with the memory of the wonderful journey Leonard had taken me on...... and yes" it feels so good baby"......
donalagata
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Donalagata, I'm so sorry you felt upset at the end of the concert. Leonard has not been playing "Whither thou goest" at any of the concerts on this leg, or giving the blessing that he gave the last time around. He has been ending with I Tried to Leave You and a short thank you, a very different ending. Somewhere, I forget where, perhaps on the thread for the Madison Square Garden concert, is a discussion about how people felt about the way he is ending this set of concerts.
You did get to be there for the new song, though... :)
Sue
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Dear Sue,
I was also at the Tampa concert and they did perform "Whither Thou Goest" as a third encore. After I read your entry I went back to the set list topic on this forum to see when they stopped performing this song at the end of the concert. It seems they did not perform it at the Atlanta show. I am pleased to know that this was indeed a change made by Leonard and the band.... however I did enjoy hearing it at the end. You are absolutely right and I know that I am fortunate to have been at the Chicago concert to hear the new song. As I said in the previous entry it was the highlight of my evening....I do feel blessed.... Although I may have sounded disappointed in my last entry it was not at all with the concert itself. I left feeling more than fulfilled. My concern and disbelief was that people left before the encores . I never thought I would see something like that at a Leonard concert. Of course I do not know the reason behind the early departures and therefore will not assume anything... I can only look at it as an unfortunate loss for those who did not stay and savor the moment....Thank you so much Sue for your comforting acknowledgement of my disappointment . I was more concerned regarding Leonard's reaction to all of the shuffling and movement in the audience. Leonard... I believe connects with the audience during his performances and I only want him to feel the love we have for him.
Best Wishes,
donalagata
Last edited by donalagata on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Video uploads.
Three songs just uploaded.
More to come.

enjoy... Albert.

Ain't no cure for Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNMKIFwa ... re=channel

Chelsea Hotel #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMKgSC5 ... re=channel

First we take Manhattan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxzQXX2 ... re=channel
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
mirka

Post by mirka »

remote1 wrote: [...]
Could it be that Leonard borrowed the Bunkhouse Theme as a starting point for his new song?
[...]
This is exactly the piece that came to my mind when listening first to the Leonard's new song.
Regardless how much he borrowed, this is just excellent music, rarely written these days, with Dylan himself setting his eyes on singing somebody's else's songs
("Bob Dylan To Massacre Every Christmas Song You Ever Loved ..." :razz: ).
As far as I remember, in the early days Leonard wanted to be another Dylan (? am I mixing something up here ?), well now he got his wish -- he is much better then Dylan :D :razz: :D
I hope Leonard has enough new songs excellent like this one, to record a new CD....

ps.
Proposed title of the new CD: "10 healing songs for new ceremony" :razz: :razz: .
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”