Recitation of "The Flood"

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Maarten

Recitation of "The Flood"

Post by Maarten »

Hi,

Marie Mazur and I are trying to compile complete setlists for all concerts, but it often isn't clear whether or not "The Flood" was performed...

Leonard sometimes recites it prior to "Anthem" at the end of the first set... It's a poem written in 1973 and is the last poem in Leonard's latest book - "Book of Longing."

"The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will break down
And the soul will break loose
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof." [ Sinai, 1973 ]

Then he goes on by reciting the start of "Anthem":

"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."

After which "Anthem" begins...

Please pay attention to this and add it to the setlist if you notice it!
For all setlists, see my file or go to the Speaking Cohen website, hosted by Marie.

Thanks in advance,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
sturgess66

Re: Recitation of "The Flood"

Post by sturgess66 »

Maarten - I posted this in the NYC-MSG thread - and in the Philadelphia thread on Monday. Leonard recited "The Flood" at both those shows - before "Anthem."
My YouTube friend and I have been putting together clues and chasing down memories and threads and he has just confirmed that it is in fact "The Flood" that Leonard is reciting before "Anthem" Ahhhhh - it is the last poem - on page 229 - of his Book of Longing

"The Flood"

The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will break down
And the soul will break loose
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof.
[Sinai, 1973]
MaryB

Re: Recitation of "The Flood"

Post by MaryB »

1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”