CONCERT REPORT: Atlanta, October 20

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Atlanta, October 20

Post by sturgess66 »

Some good tweets tonight - and some pictures -
travelsblind Holy god, fifty feet from my all time favorite poet, Leonard Cohen. about 2 hours ago from txt
DaFuente Watching a 75 year old Leonard Cohen completely own the stage at the Fox. Wow. about 2 hours ago from Tweetie
Clermont1 Leonard Cohen live at Fox theater Atl, ga right now. http://yfrog.com/5dzfwqj am I in heaven? about 2 hours ago from Twitterrific
navawritz Leonard Cohen live now in Atlanta http://yfrog.com/2o1q4j about 2 hours ago from web
driveafastercar Leonard Cohen at the Fox Theatre http://twitpic.com/mawef about 2 hours ago from Twittelator
joshjackson Seeing Leonard Cohen for the first time & hanging on every word. about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck
spersons The first half was incredible. Can't wait for leonard cohen part two. about 1 hour ago from txt
Love this one - :lol: :lol: Leonard took 'em to church.
davecgibson First half of Leonard Cohen is over. If music were a religion, I just got churched. about 1 hour ago from TwitterBerry
photognome Intermission at Leonard Cohen... Such an amazing show so far! http://yfrog.com/0pcuatj about 1 hour ago from Tweetie
JohnAdcox Oh wow. Leonard Cohen is just amazing. Amazing. I don't see how the second part can surpass the first. Just wow. about 1 hour ago from txt
InsidePerimeter When I grow up I want to be as awesome as Leonard Cohen. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
InsidePerimeter Thought I was headed to see Art Brut after Leonard Cohen, but just heard tag the second "half" of the show is two hours long. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
:lol: :lol:
teh404 Leonard Cohen is the sexiest 75 yr old man I've ever seen in my life. 7 minutes ago from Twittelator
joshjackson Very few things beat hearing my favorite song ("Hallellujah") by the guy who wrote it (Leonard Cohen). And he followed it w "I'm your man"! 5 minutes ago from TweetDeck
I don't think this tweet is from the Fox - :lol: :lol:
acopley Listening to Leonard Cohen, trying to drown out the obnoxious snoring of my pug. 20 minutes ago from web
driveafastercar Leonard Cohen and his massive Atlanta crowd at the Fox Theatre http://twitpic.com/mbd5k 15 minutes ago from Twittelator
estreetanne Just left Leonard Cohen and his performance was EVERYTHING I'd hoped! 3 minutes ago from Echofon
Onward718

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Atlanta, October 20

Post by Onward718 »

How could the Atlanta concert have been even better than I'd hoped for? My hopes were pretty darned high. It absolutely exceeded every expectation--a magical, amazing night! Thank you, LC!
ABguggi

Post by ABguggi »

All that needs to be said is that Leonard Cohen serves as an example to all musicians on how a concert should be. He's 75 years old, played for more than 3 hours and seems to give everything he's got. All of the musicians were excellent, song selection superb, setting relaxed and enthusiastic. God bless Leonard and keep him in song. Don't know if he'll ever come back to Atlanta but he is certainly welcome here.
mp4porter

Post by mp4porter »

Is there an opening act for the Fall 2009 Tour ? I'm seeing him in NYC this Friday.
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

Is there an opening act for the Fall 2009 Tour ? I'm seeing him in NYC this Friday.
I see you started another thread with this question, and you'll have some responses there. For here, let me just say, no, there's no opening act. You won't need one. Enjoy.
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video on YouTube!

From "therragwyn"
A Thousand Kisses Deep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOk0hsHem8

From "jayteetay"
Tower of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d68VFGP5U
-and-
Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbegoInf7bU
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From AccessAtlanta -

Not much of a review - a copy from Wikipedia - BUT - click on the link - there is a big montage of photographs -

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scen ... id=thbz_hm
Leonard Cohen Sells Out Fox Theatre Tuesday

12:42 pm October 21, 2009, by Robb Cohen
LC-Atlanta1.JPG
Acclaimed Canadian singer-poet-songwriter Leonard Cohen performed at the sold out Fox Theatre Tuesday night during his first tour in over 15 years.

(From Wiki): Leonard Norman Cohen, CC, GOQ (born September 21, 1934) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician, poet and novelist. Cohen published his first book of poetry in Montreal in 1956 and his first novel in 1963. His work often deals with the exploration of religion, isolation, sexuality and complex interpersonal relationships. Famously reclusive, spending years in a Zen Buddhist monastery, and possessing a persona frequently associated with mystique, he is extremely well-regarded by critics for his literary accomplishments and for producing an output of work of high artistic quality over a five-decade career.

Musically, Cohen’s earliest songs (many of which appeared on the 1967 album, Songs of Leonard Cohen) were rooted in European folk music. In the 1970s, his material encompassed pop, cabaret and world music. Since the 1980s his high baritone voice has evolved into lower registers (bass baritone and bass), with accompaniment from a wide variety of instruments and female backing singers.

Over 2,000 renditions of Cohen’s songs have been recorded. Cohen has been inducted into both the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame and is also a Companion of the Order of Canada, the nation’s highest civilian honour. While giving the speech at Cohen’s induction into the American Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, 2008, Lou Reed described Cohen as belonging to the “highest and most influential echelon of songwriters”.

On February 19, 2009, Cohen played his first American concert in fifteen years at the Beacon Theatre in New York City. He also performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Friday, April 17, 2009, in front of one of the largest Outdoor Theatre crowds in the history of the festival. His performance of “Hallelujah” was widely regarded as one of the highlights of the festival.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF LEONARD COHEN? HOW WAS THE CONCERT? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF LEONARD COHEN? HOW WAS THE CONCERT? (Photo Credit: Lisa Keel/ http://www.robbsphotos.com)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Also from AccessAtlanta -
http://blogs.ajc.com/table-talk-blog/20 ... _talk_blog
Publik Social House a good pre-stop nibble for Fox shows

9:43 am October 21, 2009, by mford
LC-163x300.gif
LC-163x300.gif (34.12 KiB) Viewed 16552 times
Leonard Cohen/ Credit: AJC archive

Most of Atlanta — at least those who follow music closely — has one thing to rave about today: Leonard Cohen. The Canadian songwriter, poet and novelist performed last night at the Fox Theater and pretty much blew every audience member’s mind. At 75, Cohen was remarkably nimble, and his great, deep voice was in full form. So were his stellar band members. By the time he and the Webb Sisters performed “If It Be Your Will” in what I think was his third encore — there were so many I can’t remember — I was weeping uncontrollably.

Before hand, we stopped into Publik Social House, the new gastro-pubbish spot from the owners of Bazzaar that occupied the same space, for some small snacks. The menu is short, but offers familiar goodies, from a very fresh iceberg wedge salad to shrimp and grits, with nothing exploring uncharted territory. Crab cakes were “eh” — better to stick with pub classics like a cheeseburger or fish and chips. A charcuterie plate offered an amazing pate — smooth and rich, and served with cornichons, grain mustard and thick slices of bread for smearing. After a glass (or two) of Prosecco, the concert was but a door away.

And what a concert it was.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I like the different lines at the end of A Thousand Kisses Deep.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
goaskaliceok

Post by goaskaliceok »

My very first Leonard Cohen concert!
It was a magical evening.
Leonard Cohen had the entire theatre in the palms of his hand.

I posted the setlist elsewhere on the site.

He did not do Lover, Lover, Lover.
He did do A Thousand Kisses Deep.
There were cartwheels by the Webb Sisters during The Future.
There were several standing ovations.
The instrumentalists and background vocalists were outstanding/amazing!
I was surprised to see him skipping off stage at the end of the sets.
Had never seen that mentioned in the forum; but, then again, the forum is vast!

The most important thing I wanted to record was his Blessings at the end, and against all odds, just as he started my Flip camcorder’s batteries died.

But this is what I remember:
Thank you so very much for your hospitality
(not sure if he said something else here)
Be well,
God bless you,
and I think he ended with
Good night, my friends.
Somebody can correct me if they think that is wrong. I asked his ?sound guy afterwards, and he didn't remember.
(He did have the fedora on, though!)
But he did say it was different than what LC usually says.

I so wish that he had ended with Whither Thou Goest.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Nashville on the 5th of November!!!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From PasteMagazine - High Gravity

http://www.pastemagazine.com/high_gravi ... e-day.html
Published at 1:29 PM on October 21, 2009
By Josh Jackson

Leonard Cohen Live (Awesome of the Day)
Leonard_CohenAtlanta.jpg
Leonard_CohenAtlanta.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 16307 times
Who’s the Boss? Seventy-five-year-old Leonard Cohen did everything he could to steal Bruce Springsteen’s moniker last night at Atlanta’s Fox Theatre, playing for over three hours, skipping on and off the stage and dropping to his knees whenever a song reached an emotional climax. It’s a good thing, too, with ticket prices topping $200 for a rare performance from the Sixth Best Living Songwriter. More than I can remember at a concert, I hung on every lyric, and the spoken-word pieces were as good as the songs. When a guy writes lines like, “There is a crack in everything / That’s how the light gets in,” you pay attention to whatever is going to come next.

The whole band was phenomenal. They went into intermission with “Anthem” and came back for hits like “Suzanne,” “I’m Your Man” and “Hallelujah.” This is starting to sound like a cliché, but my favorite piece of recorded music is Jeff Buckley’s cover of “Hallelujah.” Having never seen Buckley live, I can’t imagine it would have been any more satisfying than hearing the guy who wrote it. Here he is performing it at Coachella earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgW-rITqzAo

Josh Jackson is the editor-in-chief of Paste magazine and blogs daily about music, film and culture (and sometimes beer) at High Gravity. You can follow him on Twitter @joshjackson.
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

below are ALL comments posted to atlanta newspaper website re: 10/20 concert; sounds like LC metaphorically blew everyone's head off last night

Willie D

October 21st, 2009
1:49 pm

I really enjoyed the show, all three hours of it. The Webb sisters version of “If it Be your Will” was phenominal. It could be the last time we will see Leonard Cohen in Atlanta so an opportunity to see a legend like this is quite a treat!!!

* Link
* Report this comment

sowen

October 21st, 2009
2:24 pm

I have been following Leonard Cohen for at least 40 years, his concert will be one fabulous memory I will never forget!

* Link
* Report this comment

ben

October 21st, 2009
2:34 pm

Waited 25 years to see Leonard live and it greatly exceeded my expectations. Great mix of various eras of his music despite their very different styles. Crowd was fantastic and his energy and connection with the crowd was something I never expected. A truly unforgettable night for every Cohen fan in Atlanta. Will never forget seeing the man himself sing Famous Blue Raincoat live. Great Show.

* Link
* Report this comment

Jean

October 21st, 2009
2:54 pm

What an emotional, lovely evening! There was a palpable outpouring of love & respect from the audience to LC and he returned it in droves. He greatly exceeded even my high expectations, delivering over three hours of his very best. He laid his soul bare on the stage of the Fox, and I’ll never forget it.

* Link
* Report this comment

Lloyd Braun

October 21st, 2009
3:11 pm

Well, it appears that Atlanta actually appreciates something other than over-hyped arena rockers and rappers.

Hope is here!

* Link
* Report this comment

JDJ

October 21st, 2009
3:14 pm

Long-time fan!! Glad to see he’s upright, onstage and getting it done! He’s about a decade older than I am . . . can’t imagine the effort it takes to pull this off. I’d be face down in the orchestra pit!

* Link
* Report this comment

whodean

October 21st, 2009
3:21 pm

One of the best musical experiences I have ever had

* Link
* Report this comment

Anna

October 21st, 2009
3:38 pm

I would rate this event the #1 experience of my lifetime so far! Even though I had to scalp my so-called date’s Row E ticket to a Tech student for $50 (Lucky)! Oh, I would love to marry Leonard Cohen :)

* Link
* Report this comment

Jordan

October 21st, 2009
3:41 pm

Wish I was there. I saw him in LA in April and I’m still reveling from it. What a great show!

* Link
* Report this comment

Stuart

October 21st, 2009
3:59 pm

This concert didn’t just exceed my expectations, it was a religious experience. I wish I could remember every song that gave me chills throughout the night, but I can definitely remember “If It Be Your Will” and “Hallelujah” being two. And “Anthem.” And “Famous Blue Raincoat.” And I almost forgot “Bird on a Wire” and “Suzanne.” But like I said, I can’t remember them all. I also watched tears flowing down my fiance’s cheeks more than once. Of the hundreds of concerts I’ve seen in my life, this will easily be remembered as the most romantic, and moving.

* Link
* Report this comment

Marie

October 21st, 2009
4:28 pm

What a transcendent experience it was to be there. A love fest between artist and audience. A man of a certain age determined to reach heights he’s never reached as long as he is able. Classy. Sexy. Masterful. He’s “my man.”

* Link
* Report this comment

Rebekah

October 21st, 2009
5:02 pm

It is exciting to read peoples comments. I was lucky enough to see him in Seattle this spring and I haven’t gotten over it. Many of you seem to feel as I did; It was a transcendent experience, I never wanted it to end. He radiated amazing grace and charisma and drew more than a few tears from my eyes. My boyfriend was looking at me quiscially afterwards as I

* Link
* Report this comment

Claudia

October 21st, 2009
5:04 pm

A quietly brilliant singer who performed flawless with his equally impeccable ensemble. The best concert I ever attended.

* Link
* Report this comment

Cosmo

October 21st, 2009
5:08 pm

Exceeded all expectations. Considering Cohen’s age and the unhappy circumstances under which he had to undertake these tours, we might have forgiven him had he merely showed up and punched the clock. But, no, he gave and gave and gave heartfelt renditions of his songs to a very appreciative audience for over three hours. For me, personally, the highlight was “Bird on a Wire”: He sang new lyrics! I always felt that that song had an unfinished quality about it (which does not detract from its status as a masterpiece) and I am delighted that he finally finished it. Anybody got the new lyrics?

* Link
* Report this comment

harry

October 21st, 2009
5:22 pm

I agree with all the accolades already submitted. A truly amazing show. This man is a lyrical genius, yet the show, thanks to the band he brought together, took those lyrics and turned them into spiritual hymns. As I said in other reviews at other sites, this show was like a gently undulating eternal sun-drenched ocean in its sway. Even when it swelled, it was a reigned in ‘fury.’ Cohen gave us the chance to acknowledge his whole entourage and our applause may still not have been enough. How good was it? As much as I love the music and style of Leonard Cohen, the one rendition that thrilled me the most was “If It Be Your Will.” Three hours+ of pure enchantment by master artists. Thank you, Leonard and company, for gracing the stage of the Fox and giving us a truly memorable time.

* Link
* Report this comment

mary

October 21st, 2009
6:10 pm

Thank you Mr Robb Cohen! Your pictures are great!
I am so happy you made it to the Fox!! : )

* Link
* Report this comment

Noel

October 21st, 2009
6:13 pm

Amazing grace ! What a wonderful evening of music, memories, madcap humor, lyrical lyrics, voices of angels, and most of all, Leonard Cohen’s incomparable talent and expression. He is a master of composition, and a voice for the ages……..his self-deprecating humor never failed to gain a laugh from an adoring audience who clapped, cheered, whistled, cried and laughed for three amazing hours ! What a night to remember, and a man to remember !!!!! Thank you LC

* Link
* Report this comment

glenn

October 21st, 2009
6:19 pm

Leonard sings poetry… and when you hear him, you hang on the lyrics as much as the music. But when you put a band and back up singers of the quality on stage last night, you listen to something you’ve never heard before. As my deceased friend who introduced me to Leonard 15 years ago would have said, “It was a religious experience”. “Like a bird on a wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free”.

* Link
* Report this comment

Faye and Jerry

October 21st, 2009
6:48 pm

Both of us thought, independently, that this was the best concert we ever attended. Leonard is a poetic genius and the musicians with which he surrounded himself were awe-inspiring. We came from Charleston for this experience and are extremely happy we made the trip. Yes, it was a religious experience.

* Link
* Report this comment

molly

October 21st, 2009
7:51 pm

I saw him the night before in Tampa and was truly blown away. I was wishing that I could make it to the Fox.. what an amazing place to see him that must have been~with the magical starry sky!
p.s. it’s really fun to watch youtube snippets from these shows~to continue the dreamy experience..

* Link
* Report this comment

William from Linwood, MI

October 21st, 2009
8:20 pm

The Tuesday night show was well worth the trip down from Michigan. Leonard has been a favorite for 20 years (I wasnt born til ‘72). I have never witnessed a performer work so hard for the audience. Last tour? No way! Leonard is in fantastic shape- running off the stage, falling to his knees with passion for most songs- unbelievable how well the band works together- the guitarist from Barcelona was a concert alone- everyone else was tremendous- Leonard played all songs from the album plus about 4 more- including a standout performance of The Partisian. If you are on the edge about seeing this tour- dont miss it- it was well worth flying to watch. THANK YOU LEONARD

* Link
* Report this comment

herbert

October 21st, 2009
8:25 pm

-started to listen to his songs on a cheap turntable/tuner/amp in 1970 – something
kept playing his music/poetry….always
NEVER thought that I would be able to catch a concert.
I did at the FOX – and I was happy that so many people felt like I did
ONCE IN A LIFETIME
what a great, humble, gracious artist
(and what a great ensemble of musicians!)
thank you

* Link
* Report this comment
Onward718

Post by Onward718 »

nanette johnston
More comments from the AJC blog linked above:

October 21st, 2009
9:55 pm
You should read the review submitted by the St Petersburg Times critic Beautifully written Wonderful memory I cannot get this performance out of my mind nor do I want to It was a magical evening I had a piece of heaven with those beautiful lyrics music and lights What a thrill to see this phenomenal man and his talented group

Betty

October 21st, 2009
10:05 pm
Best concert ever–like so many others, I never dreamt I’d get the chance to see him live. It was everything I’d hoped for times a thousand…no, times a million. Thank you, Leonard Cohen, from the bottom of my heart for your music, your poetry, and your inspirational concert. It was a once-in-a-lifetime show & I will always treasure the memory of a magical night at the Fox!
whodean

Post by whodean »

I am one of the ones quoted above from the AJC.

I still have goosebumps remembering the night.

We were in row H for Heaven.
naf nehoC dranoeL

Post by naf nehoC dranoeL »

Sorry , but I do not like twitter-comments , so meaningless !

Still waiting for LC performing in some sort of jeans and nice sweater .

My objections to only repeat a certain performance have been taken away by the fall tour in the USA.

My objections to repetative blessings in nearly ever single performance in Europe last year have been taken away . He used a lot of new ones after that .

Cmon LC , let the rules for what they are worth , nada !
Be yourself 8)

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”