South America - Brazil

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
maria Tereza

South America - Brazil

Post by maria Tereza »

It's a shame that I live so far and cannot afford a trip to Europe or to the States to see the concert...
I was 17 years old when I first heard L.Cohen and have been in love with his music since then. Now I'm 46 and still touched by his lyrics and voice.

I'm sorry for writing this short message that has no importance after all...but I had to release this feeling of impotence for not being able to see his tour and having limited access to his work.
For you who live in Europe or the States... do go and see this concert! You don't know how much I'd love to be in your shoes...

Maria Tereza - Rio de Janeiro
davidrichards

Re: South America - Brazil

Post by davidrichards »

Maria Tereza
I know exactly how you feel. Last year I was fortunate enough to see Leonard Cohen in Dublin, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester. I never thought that I would be fortunate enough to see him perform live given his advancing years. I had discovered him FORTY years ago whilst at college and my dream was the live performance. Unfortunately previously whenever he was in Europe I was working far away so news of the tour last year met with a determination to book seats at as many venues as possible. I have now retired so travelling is not a problem in terms of work commitments but obviously money is not as easy as when you are working, however, the four concerts last year were worth EVERY SINGLE penny. You can imagine therefore the delight when I found out that he was returning to the UK AGAIN this year. I secured tickets for Liverpool and Dublin and once more revelled in the totally unbelievable performance given by this master of poetry, music and performance. The performance, and that of the ultimate band of musicians he has built around him, could not be bettered by a person of any age but for someone of 74 years to be able to perform with that consummate grace and professionalism, and for a set of almost three hours I find it it impossible to find words with which to describe such an evening of total bliss.
I totally understand your "feeling of impotence for not being able to see his tour and having limited access to his work" and I can only say that should you be able to access the DVD "Live in London" then at least you will be able to partially appreciate what a stunning performance Leonard and the whole band have put in night after night after night in all of their performances around the world.

Dave
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I'm kind of surprised they didn't do at least a few of the major cities in South America. As each leg of the tour was announced, I kept expecting Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago, etc...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by ladydi »

Perhaps in 2010 :D :D :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

When the tour first started, Roscoe Beck did tell me that South America was on the itinerary, so I too am very surprised that it hasn't happened - to date.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
maria Tereza

Post by maria Tereza »

I was sooo surprised when I opened this ... I did not expect ANY replies...WOW...I was so happy that no matter how far I am right now (specially because I gave up living in Rio and moved to the country side - which makes it even further...lol) I can still be in touch with people who share the same feelings about L.Cohen's work.

I have something to share with you guys: I GOT THE DVD !!!!! A friend from London came to Rio and gave it to me as a present. I became so hooked on it that I am really afraid that I might damage it !!!! I must buy another one just in case !!!! ;-)

Do you think I should have any hopes to see him in Brazil????

Thank you all for having answered my message.
It was very kind of you.

Carinho,
Maria Tereza

By the way, do you think L.Cohen reads the messages posted here?????
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Maria Tereza,

I responded to you on another thread, but basically, be patient and let's see what happens. I know Leonard and his management have wanted to include South America at some time. It now appears that Leonard will be doing some concerts in 2010. I can't confirm that any will be in Brazil...or South America, but keep the faith. I have a feeling that you may be very happy. And I would hope to be there too!

Warm regards,
Diana

ps...Leonard really doesn't have the time to read all the posts on the Forum. I know some band members "wander" in from time to time, and Leonard does read all of his birthday posts! But, you never know! Might be a slow night and he may slide in and check out a few.....
maria Tereza

Post by maria Tereza »

Dear Diana,

Thanks for your reply....I was sooooooooo happy to read it!
And you know what? :idea: If he does come to Brazil and If you want to see him here.... you will be my guest in Rio!!!

( I hope I have convinced you "to support" my faith!!!! LOL)

M. Tereza
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Maria,

Thank you SO much for the offer! We will see what happens!

Keep smiling!
Diana

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”