St Louis Concertgoers

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lennycohenfan

St Louis Concertgoers

Post by lennycohenfan »

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about the tour. Can we start individual threads here for individual city concert goers to connect? Would surely be easier than sorting through all of the messages.

I am surely ready to do a get together for a few drinks and discussion prior to the show.

We do not even have tickets yet, but made a hotel reservation today on Priceline. Was able to successfully bid for a downtown 3.5 star hotel for the evening of November 7 for a price of $50. Total after taxes was around $65. After I won the bid I went to the hotel's website to check the going rate for the evening - $98 before taxes and fees (so around $120). The hotel we were booked into was the Sheraton Center City (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/ ... rtyID=1364). Pretty good savings to say the least. I had tried unsuccessfully on bidding for a downtown Saint Louis 4 star at $50 and $54 for that night. Please know that if you do a bid for a room on Priceline that you are stuck with the reservation - the cancellation policy does not exist since you are bidding for your sure thing room. You also will not know what particular hotel you are bidding on - only the class of the hotel. After you win the bid, the name of the hotel and the hotel's confirmation number will be emailed to you.
Priceline normally will book a room with one bed so know that in advance. It is fairly easy to call the hotel after you have made the reservation and have them change to a room with two beds if that is what you want to do. No other changes are really allowed. I am sure you could change the smoking preference of the room as well if the hotel has smoking rooms.

If you want some hints and a place to check out bidding on Priceline and Hotwire, please check out http://www.betterbidding.com and look around.

Now onto the important question. What level ticket are you going to try to get at the Fox Theater? Will I be thought of as less than a crazed fan if I do not opt for the Orchestra Pit tickets? $253 plus fees is a bit of cash, but then again, it is LC! We were thinking about Orchestra front tickets at $128 (meaning starting at row L so assuming that is row 12). I am so conflicted because LC is, without a doubt, my all-time favorite entertainer. The Pink Floyd concert at the Stadium of the Alps in Turin, Italy back in 1994 is not even close to this. See, I am already talking myself into the pit tickets! I may have to just do that! Wonder if I could get myself a ticket in the pit and make my wife (she is not much of a fan, but will be after seeing him live) sit back several rows! I could not do that to her, but worth the thought.

Ticket prices

Orchestra Pit $253.00
Orchestra Front $128.00
Remaining Orchestra Floor $79.50
Mezzanine $79.50
Lower Balcony $49.50
Middle Balcony $49.50
Upper Balcony $39.50

Sign me up for one of each! Feel free to email me at cohenfan@bigriver.net or post a reply,
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
bridger15

Re: St Louis Concertgoers

Post by bridger15 »

by Lilifyre on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 am

Hey folks, I'm relatively new to Leonard Cohen. I don't know why I didn't discover him way back when he started. I was a big fan of all the artists who recorded his songs back in the 60s and 70s. But I have been infected with the Leonard Cohen bug and am a die hard fan now. I am planning on going to the St.Louis show and would love to meet up with others who plan to be there. I just spoke to the people at the Fox as I have some mobility issues. They advised me to go ahead and get my ticket thru this site in the Pre-sale and if I need assistance from them as to getting an aisle seat or whatever, they'd be glad to help at that time. I'll be using a walker since I can't stand for long periods of time waiting in line and such and the walker would allow me a place to sit when necessary.

So, if anyone has any advice for me or would like to arrange a meeting before or after the show, please feel free to contact me. I'm 63, and as Leonard would put it, "just a kid with a crazy dream." LOL.
Hi Lili. I like your spirit!
I am planning to go to the St Louis concert. But I am staying over the bridge on the Illinois side, in Edwardsville. Let's wait to see if there will be any early entry arrangements for Forum members. We can touch base again closer to the concert date.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

lennycohenfan wrote:I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about the tour. Can we start individual threads here for individual city concert goers to connect? Would surely be easier than sorting through all of the messages.

I am surely ready to do a get together for a few drinks and discussion prior to the show.
Great idea starting a St Louis thread. I share your excitement !!!!
And thanks for your tips for finding accomodation. I am planning on going to the St Louis concert but will be staying with family over the bridge on the Illinois side.

Getting together before the concert is a wonderful idea. Let's all touch base closer to the concert date after we have all the information about the will call ticket pick up.

---Arlene

lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

Bridger - thanks for the reply. The get together is a great thing that must happen in some form - Cohenites Unite! A pre get together and a post get together might work too! Would be nice to do a a post concert brunch on Sunday so we can all have eruptions of thoughts about our favorite parts of the concert. I am going nuts waiting knowing that I will finally get to see LC!

Anyhoo, I found this link on establishments very close to the Fox Theater - http://www.grandcenter.org/directory/restaurants.php. Nothing really fitting there but some interesting places. If anyone, or even better any group of people, have knowledge of the area, please chime in and let us know. Also, feel free to take charge and plan an event!

Just stoked to see Leonard.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Hey there lennycohenfan, I'm up late tonight making sure everything is set up on my PC so that I can get my ticket as soon as they go on sale tomorrow. Excited??? You better believe it!

As for a meetup before the show and brunch after, I'd suggest the Central West End. There are some nice little places there...restaurants, coffee shops, bagel places, pubs. It's a pretty cool part of town and not all that far from the Fox by car...a bit west of the Grand Center area. It's been awhile since I was in that part of town (Grand Ave area where the Fox is) but the CWE or even Clayton would probably be better for atmosphere and/or parking. The only other area would be downtown and there is NO good parking close to places. I don't do so well walking any distance...will be using a walker most likely. University City Loop is another good area for a meet up...lots of cool places there.

Btw, where is "home" for you? I'm a native St.Louisan but have lived in Birmingham, AL for about 4 yrs now...Orlando FL area about 3 yrs prior to that. The Fox is a fantastic venue. It's not overly large so should lend some intimacy for the show. It was originally built in the early 1900s for Vaudeville, so there are NO bad seats...at least there weren't the last time I was there. It was one of the 3 big fancy theaters from that time. They were all within a couple of blocks of each other. The other 2 were originally the St.Louis and the Missouri. I think one is gone and the other is now Powell Symphony Hall. These are the old plush, elaborate theaters of that era. I believe they have restored the intricate plasterwork, plush seats and heavy velvet curtains. My grandfather did much of the original plaster work in the one that is now Powell Hall.

So, am I excited? Just a tad :lol:

I'll post more after I have my ticket.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

Hey Lily - Hopefully everything went well with your computer and purchase tickets for the show. I went to the Metro Tickets website and was so tempted to get the Orchestra Pit seats but I just could not do so. Instead I opted for the Orchestra VIP tickets. I figure we can use the money saved on a great dinner while in St Louis.

Thanks for the notes on potential local spots. Clayton is a very nice section of town. I considered booking a room out that way but wanted to be a little close to the Fox Theater.

Home for me is just north of Memphis, TN. We have lived here for almost nine years. Before that we moved about every two years living in La Maddalena (Sardinia), Naples IT, Seoul, Washington. Retired Navy guy that ended up here in the area. We chose to go to the show at the Fox instead of Nashville purely because of the venue. It was in La Maddalena (circa 1993) with the movie Pump Up the Volume that I was introduced to LC. I have not stopped listening to him since. Maybe this show will turn the wife into a fan!

Be well and now the waiting until Nov 7. Yikes!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

lennycohenfan wrote: Instead I opted for the Orchestra VIP tickets. I figure we can use the money saved on a great dinner while in St Louis.
Maybe this show will turn the wife into a fan!
Congratulations on your seats! Hope your dinner is scrumptious, and you will get all those wonderful souvenirs, am salivating at the thought of the fleece throw.

Very high possibility that your wife will become a fan :D !

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

It's the PIT for me on the pre-sale. Everything went smoothly. Thank you, Jarkko!

Now, I am looking for a ride from Nashville to St. Louis. Is anyone going to both concerts?

---Arlene

Dan K.

Post by Dan K. »

3rd row for me!!!!!!! See you there!
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

Spent the afternoon listening to Jenny do Lenny - what a great tribute by Jennifer Warnes. Now onto the real DC with the Essential Leonard Cohen CD 1 on the way home.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

bridger15 wrote:It's the PIT for me on the pre-sale. Everything went smoothly. Thank you, Jarkko!

Now, I am looking for a ride from Nashville to St. Louis. Is anyone going to both concerts?

---Arlene
Hey Arlene, I'll be passing thru Nashville on my way to St.Louis. I am really closer to either Atlanta or Nashville, but St.Louis is home for me and I just don't get back there often enough. I can't afford both Nashville AND St.Louis. I don't have the list handy, but when is the Nashville show? I'll be coming from Birmingham, AL probably on the 6th...early in the day. I wouldn't mind having company on the drive if the timing works for you. Feel free to PM me and we can see if we can work something out. You said you were staying on the East side, didn't you? Edwardsville? I'm staying with my ex and his wife in Overland...West St.Louis county, but not FAR West. It's a straight shot from their place down Forest Park Expressway if it's open...last time I was there it was closed for construction...or hwy 40.

I just couldn't do the $253 tickets, but I've got the $128...Orchestra whatever...row J (9th row, center section) Not bad at all in my opinion. I'm going by myself as my partner really hasn't been bitten by the Cohen bug...LOL. Also, since I'm retired and on SS and she's the only one with a job, money's kinda tight. We just couldn't afford 2 tickets...well we could have, but we'd be up in the balcony for sure...and we wouldn't be able to stay with my ex.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Ok, this may seem like a dorky question, but is anyone planning on going "in uniform"? You know, black suit, or black pants and vest, grey shirt? I'm pretty butch to begin with and I really like the way LC and the band look in their similar, but not identical, classy suits/pants & vests...even the women. I have a good pair of black pants that are appropriate and today something told me to go by this one clothing store near me. I figured if they had anything I could put it in lay-away. Well, they had just the right black blazer...same fabric as my pants...very tailored and only one in the store in my size. It was a deal I just couldn't pass up. Originally $75, marked down to half and this week marked down an additional 30%. So I got a $75 blazer for less than $30 including tax! Now all I need is a grey shirt...white or black would also do I suppose...which I can get just about anywhere before the concert. Now if my ex still has his fedora... ;-)

Gee, I'm this bad now. I'll be a basket case by Nov....... :roll:

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hi Lili

I'm not going to the St Louis concert but if I were, I would definitely go "in uniform": you know, jeans, T shirt ...

Well, that's MY concert going uniform! :lol:
Wendy
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Lilifyre wrote:...is anyone planning on going "in uniform"? You know, black suit, or black pants and vest, grey shirt? ... fedora...
Black yes. Very popular. De rigueur. It's fun.
Fedoras are worn by a few, but removed before the concert starts out of courtesy.
Re: Type of LC's Fedora Hat
by POZEST on Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am
When I saw LC in L.A., I did see a few people with nice hats and EVERYONE removed them before they took their seats. That was courteous of the fans.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14671&p=183996&hilit=fedora#p183996
Very cool.

lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan »

I have been a huge fan of Adam Cohen since about 1998. I found this, his version of Take This Waltz (one of my all time LC favorites), on YouTube tonight. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofrTHo3opEE

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”