Happy Birthday, Leonard!

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
hattivatti

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by hattivatti »

Happy birthday, Leonard!! Still the concert in Helsinki a year ago is giving warmth into my heart.
My son has also his birthday 21.9., this year his 25th birthday; nice to recognize that!
All our best for you.
- Aune
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Dear Mr. Cohen,

it is one day too late, but nevertheless: Happy Birthday!

Your music makes my life so much better. I was so glad to be able to visit one of your shows, it was simply great!

Thank you for your songs!

Gianna
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Happy Birthday Leonard,
an Irish Blessing----
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand,

carlowmike.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Dear Leonard
If the rules of life
Were somewhat different
For your birthday
Each of your Cohenites
Might elect to give you
A portion of our unlived lives
A month, a week, a day, an hour
So that you’d live longer
Or grow younger
(The details of the scheme yet to be decided)
Then perhaps in your one hundred and twentieth year
You’d announce your farewell tour
Dedicating a Thousand Kisses Deep
To the fans who’d given you the extra years
And joking how at the age of seventy-three
You’d set out on the road
Just a kid with a crazy dream

Happy birthday

Jonathan
Last edited by Bartleby on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who earnestly are lost
Are lost and lost again

1989: Hydra; 1993: Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2008: Dublin x 3; Manchester Opera House x 2; London O2; Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2009: Dublin 02 x 2; 2010: Sligo x 2; 2012: Dublin x 2; 2013: London O2; Dublin x 2; 2014: Dublin meet up
Erin

Post by Erin »

Dear Leonard,

I’m late, your birthday was yesterday. I thought of you all day, but I felt silly sending you a wish; imagined it would be a drop in the ocean. Then I saw what was going on, on your Forum and that I was not the only one who feels the way I do. Like Lisa (LisaLCFan) who sent you such a sweet wish!
So, my dearest Leonard, I hope you had a wonderful birthday and I wish you a fantastic year to come: Briut, Osher ve Osher, Shalom, Ahava ve rack Dvarim Tovim, ad Mea ve Esriem! Ve gam Shana Tova ve Metuca!
I came to see you in Amsterdam, Oberhausen, Rotterdam and Cologne, this tour and I had hoped to see you in Israel, but I cannot make it and it almost breaks my heart. I hope I will have another opportunity to see you again.
It all started one day, when I walked into the coffee shop, we often went to, after school. I heard a voice sing, that I had never heard before:
“I suppose that he froze, when the wind took your clothes,
and I guess he just never got warm,
but you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice,
oh, please let me come into the storm…”
I was struck by lightning: you touched my soul. I ‘recognized’ you, your voice; you were someone I had known and loved more than anything, very long ago and I had finally found you again! I had and have always loved you and I always will.
I was 16 years old and this was 40 years ago…
I have been to many of your concerts, our paths even crossed sometimes, but we never really met; I was too shy or it was the wrong time in our lives; it was just not meant to be, in this life, this time around and that is alright.
But your spirit has always been with me and you have always been ‘there for me’, throughout my turbulent ‘gypsy life’.
Thank you for all the strength that you gave me, at times when I thought I just could not carry on. Thank you for all the comfort and joy that you gave me with your beautiful songs.
And thank you for all the ‘little’ things, like picking up my small bunch of white roses, with the note with spelling mistakes, which I had scribbled in the dark. After having had a wrestling match with one of the ‘body guards’, it finally reached the far end of the stage, in Rotterdam - Holland, where you were singing for us. You then took the trouble to walk to the front of the stage, to pick it up and you read my note, as you were singing “So long, Marianne”. Once you had deciphered my best wishes for you, you held my roses to your chest, while ending the song. This was a priceless gift for me. You are truly a ‘Mensch’. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for coming back to us, whatever the reasons may have been.
Stay healthy, take care and may peace of mind and happiness always be with you.

With all my love,

Erin xxx
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

Happy Birthday :D

I´d like to tell THANK YOU

Thank you for your songs, for your Golden Voice
My first meeting with you was through the song Suzanne, It was 11years ago, It was love on the first sight and I´m still in love with your voice, with your eyes, with your smile, with your songs. You are in my heart, in my soul, in my mind and I thank you for that :D

I wish you inspiration and strength, satisfaction and inquisitiveness that force to looking for answers, new challenges and new discovering

Yours truly Silvia
But you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice,
oh please let me come into the storm
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Happy birthday, mr. Cohen!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
aegib

Post by aegib »

Happy birthday, Mr. Cohen. Sorry it's a little belated, but I didn't know 'til today that I could do this. Best wishes for many more healthy, happy years. Glad you're feeling better.

Amy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Dear Leonard

We sang "Happy Birthday" to you in Barcelona on Monday but I somehow forgot to post a message here in all the excitement of preparing for our trip to Spain. Still, better late than never.

We would like to join everyone else in wishing you a very happy birthday for last Monday.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the enormous pleasure your music has brought me over the past 40 years but most especially during the course of the 2008-9 tour. I promised myself years ago that if there was ever just one more show, I would travel to the other side of the world to see it if that's what it took. Over the past 18 months or so we have been blessed with many more shows than we ever dreamt were possible and you have given me many wonderful memories that I will treasure forever.

Wendy and Tony
bergalt

Post by bergalt »

Dear Jikan,

Happy Birthday.
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. um.. as it's my own birthday today.. well.. I don't know, I was looking at this post again and thought -- gosh, this poem might have been a tad bit inappropriate somehow for this particular thread (originally posted on p.3, I believe).. but then I thought that that alone might have given Leonard a bit of a chuckle.. (maybe).. So.. what the hay, as they say..

Happy Birthday once again Leonard.. to a legend of longing.. Oh, and good luck at the Garden.. (my god!)..

love,
v i o l e t (flower).. xxx

Violet wrote:This poem of mine I’d like to dedicate to Leonard on this 75th birthday..

.. to me it speaks to the writer’s private love affair involving words themselves.. or the secret meanings contained “inside” them, as if behind closed blinds.. its mention of a hotel seemed to me to be timely, given the commemoration at the Chelsea..

The knowing in these lines

I’m torn to
think you in my sights; with

all these days, these
years, these
nights,

between
undressing me in mind

and now daylight (in such hotel,

there closed
these blinds)

I pray you,

I sigh
you keep with me
these sighs

I pray you keep this
secret self

I’ve stored you
this hidden page; this

secret poem

where longing
never fades

(in
secret days)

your eyes are perfect
in this light;

they know no other meaning
than these words;

your hand
caresses

letters

off the page (my

kiss
inside your palm)

our home is none,

all normalcy
is gone.

so take me

(deepening
the
well.) and in the rising
of the tide,

your lover’s mind

desires in mine

our one desire’s
longing
in
these lines (endless

the tide)

v i o l e t, 2008
Violet
glen blair

Post by glen blair »

Hello again - what joy to be able to wish you Happy Birthday (allbeit a belated one..). I have now managed to see you twice (Dublin 2008 and Liverpool 2009) but have been a devoted afficionado since 1968 (I was just 14 but obviously old enough to know perfection when I heard it!!).
I have no words to express what your music and writings mean to me - only that they give my heart a voice.
May all good things follow you and your family, and may your vison of peace and contentment for the world come into being.
Love, health and happiness always,
Glen
moscardifedosseeva

Post by moscardifedosseeva »

I've been there and I'm more than gratefull

Postby moscardifedosseeva on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:47 pm
I'd would like just to dedicate some words of greeting and recognition to Leonard Cohen. I'm 26 years old and I'm sure that LC's songs are going to be with me many more years. 21th September in Barcelona we were lucky ones to be on the greatest show that Leonard cohen offered. Lucky to apreciate ones again his talent, his elegance, his unforgettable presence. There are no words that can describe the admiration that I feel for this man...

THANK YOU Leonard and Happy happy birthday!

Hope you live very long life always full off joy, lyrics and a lot of success!

Anna, Christian and little 4month Dana.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Dear Leonard.....I hope you had a wonderful day....blessings love and peace !!
Actually

Post by Actually »

Dear Mr. Cohen,

of course, I’m aware of the fact that it’s too late to say Happy Birthday and even more that you aren’t reading what I’m writing, but there’s something inside of me forcing me to do so, that’s why I’ll be as clever as to write it for me and pretend it was for you.
So far, I don’t even know where to start or what to say, especially after having a look at those great wishes and kind words that have already been written.
In the end, there won’t be anything you haven’t heard a thousand times before and I’m not saying anything new, when I’m saying that I’m thankful for all the wonderful words and tunes you’ve shared with the world, even though I know those weren’t and aren’t meant to be for us and we’re just lucky to be witnesses.
I hope you're always enjoying what you're doing, no matter, if it's satisfying for us or not. Of course, I'm also hoping for tons of new books and albums and countless shows, but if you decide to laze in the sun instead, I could absolutely understand it.

Thanks for everything.

N.
Last edited by Actually on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”