Happy Birthday, Leonard!

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
jarkko
Site Admin

Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by jarkko »

It's time to open our traditional thread for birthday wishes of our members!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Paula

Re: Happy Birthday, Leonard!

Post by Paula »

Well it is that time of year again. The last two years must have been like a whirlwind for you. You must now know just how loved you are throughout the world. I wish you health and happiness and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labours for many many years to come. With much love and gratitude for always being the soundtrack to my life xxxx
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Leonard ~

Happy Birthday at 75, Leonard ~ Lucky Barcelona to share it with you!!

With all the years you've seen, these past couple may be the most unanticipated for you. To see all of the good that has come from what was so unfortunate, shocking, and sad at the time has been such a blessing for us and, in so many ways, for you, too. As Paula has said, you have seen in no uncertain terms how deeply you are loved by so many people worldwide. I am so glad that you have opted to carry through with your plans to perform for your beloved fans in Israel and in such an honourable way. They deserve it and so do you.

When this concert ends, may you enjoy your off time with your children, your loved ones, and as a grandfather to Cassius. We look forward to your new album and, should you decide to tour again, you will find every bit of the same kind of enthusiasm for us seeing you sing your new songs as we've had for seeing you sing your old ones.

Happy Birthday, Leonard, with all my heart. My gratitude to you and for you are immeasurable.

Love,
Lizzy
[Elizabeth]
xoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cate

Post by Cate »

Dear Leonard,

This is my first birthday wish to you. I know you actually read these greetings and I was too shy to say anything before.

Your words have worked their way into so many important moments of my life. They were there the first time I felt love, the first time my heart was bruised and through the days in my life when I felt completely lost. I wish I could kiss your cheek to show you my thanks, but as they don’t have a screen for that yet, I will simply type - Thank You.

I wish you many sweet moments in your next year.

Cate
iveta

Post by iveta »

Dear Leonard,
do you think one should ever congratulate Poe or Baudellaire on displaying such a beautiful range of views due to spending their lives on such tumbling trampolines…
That might be a bit cynical…but that´s just the way this wild world turns...

So OK, I'll dare to congratulate you on being in the same league as the guys above and on dancing through your sorrow with such a graceful dignity, cracking such wonderful jokes....

And thank you for being so deeeeply instructive in such important matters…it was great to grow up with such a wise advice giftwrapped in such a sweeeet metaphor...may the Ultimate Source of Mercy of yours truly bless you for that...

yours, crazy kid of just 27 ,Iveta
Last edited by iveta on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Dear Leonard,

I wish you a wonderful and Happy Birthday, and many, many more to come! There is no gift that I could give you that would equal the gift of your music that you have shared with us for all these years. Your songs have enriched my life, and this year I had the immense pleasure of seeing you perform them in person, which was the greatest gift of all! Although we have never met, I feel that I know you, and I am honoured that you think of us, your fans, as your friends. Thank you so much for everything that you have given us. I hope that, in some small way, we have been able to return the favour. May peace and joy find you on your birthday, and stay with you forever.

With love,
Lisa
mutti

Post by mutti »

Happy Birthday Leonard!
I am wishing you a year full of love, light and laughter.
Thank you for all your music and words over the years and especially all that you have given of yourself to all of us
this past year on your concert tour.
I am eternally grateful and honoured to have been able to listen to your music and words over the years.
you have opened my heart so many times...and touched me deeply.
Take good care
Lots of love
Leslie (Mutti)
Here's a card I thought you might enjoy! ;-)
Attachments
DalaiLamacard.jpg
Last edited by mutti on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Happy Birthday young man. :D

Thank you for everything. Again. And again. This is (really) amazing.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Dear Leonard,
Happy birthday. I wish for you a year filled with love, companionship, good health and all good things. I thank you for your music and poetry over the years: they have sustained me, led me forward, given me comfort, and made me cry as well as laugh. I thank you for this extraordinary year especially, the year in which I finally got to see you perform. Thank you not just for the songs, given new life and energy, but also for your grace and attention. Up there on the stage you show us with each song what it might mean to be fully alive and focused. When I first read your poems at the age of 15 you opened up a world to me: nearly 40 years later you’re still doing it. May you have a blessed year, and many years to come.
With love and in gratitude,
Sue
jann

Post by jann »

Happy Birthday Leonard,
I have been a fan of yours since 1967, You have taken me through the good times and the bad, the loss of my beautiful daughter . Together we would listen to you, and I continue now with my grandaughter, sometimes with tears, others with smiles, it is very comforting this beautiful music and poetry we share. May you live forever. The concert in the Hunter Valley (Australia) is still with me today.
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Happy Birthday, Leonard.

You have been an inspiration to me in more ways than you could ever imagine. Your music touches me deeply. Thank you for being you. Best wishes for a happy 75th birthday, and l look forward to you smudging the air with your songs for many more years to come.

With deep admiration,
Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

On September 21st we will awake to the last day of summer...an ending to a season but we will also mark this day as a celebration of a beginning. On this day 75 years ago dear Leonard you began your journey into what is known as life....your beginning . We offer you our love and praise you for all that you have given to us. Through your lyrics and music we have all witnessed your life and continue to do so. With pen to paper you have opened your heart and shared all the events of your life as it unfolded. You placed the songs into the air... and how fortunate for all of those who heard the song and followed it to the artist. You have never asked for anything back and you give so much. You are indeed an inspiration .... So my dear Leonard on this day as you enter a new season in your life I celebrate you and give thanks for all that you have given. I wish your season to be long and filled with happiness and love...
With my deepest respect... Happy Birthday Leonard

donalagata
cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Happy Birthday, Leonard!

I wish you joy and happyness and a honeylike autumn all thru the years to come!
And thanks God for the internet, orelse I would have never had the chance to 'talk' to you. We've met some 30 years ago, on a shabby casetterecorder that I got as my 20th birthday present, and you have always been by my side since. I thought I knew you well, as your poetry has told and tought me so much. I know now that was next to nothing compared to what I have experienced when I saw you on stage, last Friday, in Bucuresti (Oh, how we loved the Romanian way you pronounced this). I will ever stand in your awe, now that I've been in the 'Tower of Song' and on 'Boogiestreet' with you and your wonderful companions. I cried and laughed, and laughed and cried again...Words ca'n even begin to describe how we all felt!
I've seen your fans in other cities singing loudly with you during your concerts and I feel bound to tell you ... we didn't do that of fear we won't be able to hear your beautiful voice and the miracle of your lyrics. And besides, one cannot sing along with the priest when he is kneeling!
One can only kiss his hand and, in rare occasions, his cheek. Maybe I will have that chance once!
Thank you for being what you are and for making my life so much more beautiful with your songs!

Sincerely,
Cornelia
sourire

Post by sourire »

Dear Leonard,

This small posy of words comes with love and every good wish for happiness on your Birthday-and many, many, Happy Returns!
Thank you for sharing your golden gifts of poetry and music with us. Thanks to you and your brilliant band for partying so exuberantly with us on this amazing tour :D
Enjoy Barcelona!

With much love
Sandy
Last edited by sourire on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

For the most special man in the world...what an inspiration you are. I was finally able to hear you live in Europe and New Zealand - among the most reckless and wonderful experiences of my life. I could not see you very clearly, but I did once feel the warmth of your smile with a physicality that remains with me forever. I wish you every blessing, especially clarity, wisdom, inspiration, peace, love, and continuing understanding of deep mysteries.

I`d love to meet you someday
It would be such a blast
To sit and talk with you and Sam
Somewhere in Montparnasse
But who knows, in some other realm
It may have come to pass

and

For the man with the voice of an angel
with a broken wing
with feet of clay
and the love of G-d in his eyes
With light in his pen
writing from Love to men
creating beauty, humor, and life-healing truth
where once there was pain

- these two from me, with love - and this from Bub Bridger:

It wasn`t all pain
and it wasn`t all grieving
Just so long
as he kept on dancing

Dear Leonard, never stop dancing. Happy Birthday. And thanks for everything...
Sasha K

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”