POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Ray of Lights Band Design
50%
The Guitar Design
4%
Band with Unified Hearts Design
46%

Total votes: 135
friscogrl

Re: POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Post by friscogrl »

I have been reading the comments in regards to the size of the unified hearts symbol in the third mosaic. I have gone back several times to look at this picture and even though the symbol is a large part of the picture, that is the way it looks on the backdrop curtain on stage. I am not sure how you could have this image of Leonard and the band on stage and have the hearts symbol be any smaller without cropping the size of the picture.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

That version of the Unified Hearts was selected for voting because it allows more space for the fan photos. The larger band image which is superimposed on the mosaic for clarity covers over more of them. Also, I was not wanting to confront Leonard with a big picture of himself for his birthday so the smaller band at the bottom works better in that regard. To me the unified hearts symbolizes the tour and you are right Paula and Marsha I made it the size of the backdrop. Artistic choices are so difficult to make. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am gonna try and keep my gob shut what I don't want is someone to say "OK see if you can do better" 'cos I can't :lol:

Although I still think the heart should be smaller :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I am gonna try and keep my gob shut what I don't want is someone to say "OK see if you can do better" 'cos I can't :lol:
Now, Paula, what does that have to do with anything :lol: ? Don't make me take that position, too :roll: ;-) :lol: !
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Don't stop talking anybody. We want this to be a cooperative effort and I am sure that when it comes down to making the final one or two all opinions will be considered. Thank you for the feedback. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Paula wrote:Laura as Abraham Lincoln once said (plus Bob Dylan did in one song too when he was quoting Abe Lincoln but I can't remember which song :oops: )

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QswdyijNNtA

;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay, Pam, but remember you asked for it :lol: ! I like the warmth of yours, with all the many colours, but I agree on the size of the unified hearts. I just happen to see Laura's first one as more "Leonard," with something being done about those orange logos, that is :razz: .

Even though sending both might seem to take away somehow from each, I just don't feel that either of yours should be sacrificed. Someone mentioned earlier that this might be possible, but I can't remember in what way it would be.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Hi Lizzy,
I'm glad you clarified that. I thought you were gunnin' for me! You have a good eye for the visuals.
I have a wacky idea. You know how artwork had a front side and a back side. We could mount the 2 images one on each side framed and wired from the top. Both images would be equal and he could flip them to see whichever one he wanted. I may get reprimanded for having this unusual egalitarian thought but the voting is becoming gut wrenching. Pam
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

redstudio wrote:Hi Lizzy,
I'm glad you clarified that. I thought you were gunnin' for me! You have a good eye for the visuals.
I have a wacky idea. You know how artwork had a front side and a back side. We could mount the 2 images one on each side framed and wired from the top. Both images would be equal and he could flip them to see whichever one he wanted. I may get reprimanded for having this unusual egalitarian thought but the voting is becoming gut wrenching. Pam
i LOVE this idea, it is a perfect solution. can we vote on this idea? brilliant solution. since i love both designs and would love to see him get both of them.

best,
bonnie
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

I find it is a good idea, too! It might suit Leonard, too, for as far as I remember, he likes to keep his walls "almost bare"... ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I say we pick one. That is why we are having a poll.One on either side would make it too busy. It would be like a reversible sweat shirt.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
martali

Post by martali »

Hi Pam,
What a wonderful proposal !
The idea of making both designs came to my mind as only saw the projects presented for voting, but didn’t reflect the possibility of making one two-sided picture. It sounds as really the best solution.
martali wrote:
.... such an idea came to mind that we could perhaps accept the two mosaics for Leonard’s 75th Birthday greetings.
Each of them is quite different in design but so stunning so I believe Our Man would appreciate both.
All the forum members photos, already processed into proper resolution might be used for both designs I suppose.

What do you think Friends :?:
As regards the size of United Hearts logo in your design it is OK, I think, since it always appears that big on the curtains during the concerts and in this aspect the proportions are fitting well.
Only perhaps it should be more delicate and transparent (as produced by subtle lighting) ?

Cheers :D
Marta

PS
I like Laura’s symbolic way of showing the stage with Leonard and band very much.
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

friscogrl wrote:I say we pick one. That is why we are having a poll.One on either side would make it too busy. It would be like a reversible sweat shirt.

Marsha
but marsha!

don't you think that twice the number of photos of his fans is better since there are so many of us??? perhaps it's not possible to fit us all onto just one? i don't know. perhaps the graphic designers could answer this question.

just wondering.

ps you're so funny. a reversible sweatshirt. thanks for the smiles!

bonnie

ppss how do you spell that sound cats make when they're fighting? perhaps we should change your name from friscogrl to friscogrrrrr!! just kidding. don't get mad. i'm just feeling like esther these days, giddy at the prospect of more shows. ciao, bella.
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

NOOOooooooooo, I'm not gunnin' for you, Pam :D ! It just keeps hitting me that Laura's is more 'Leonard'ish [with its subdued, Leonard colours and classy design] and yours is more 'Us'ish [with all its many colours and ebullient design]... generally, when you give a gift to someone, you give them one that's 'them' ~ but since the gift is 'Us' to him, yours is appropriate, too! And, in yours, he has the faces of his group, as well [as does Laura's, if she chooses to leave them in the ray of light].

However, YOU my dear, have hit upon the POIFECT solution ~ BOTH ~ and in such a wonderful... still classy... way. [Never mind Marsha and her reversible t-shirt ;-) :lol: ] I've seen those double-sided things and I think it's THE idea that we need to go with. I just think it's the ideal way to do it.

It's clear that Laura has put her hard work and heart into her design and so have you... and this is just the perfect solution for two Forum women who have taken the challenge and prevailed in your individual ways. Both of you should be represented. Each is a beautiful gift.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES... Let's Do It!!! [And, with that in mind, I've just cast my vote for Laura's.]

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

I don't really understand the last posts but will trust whatever is going on.
I see the 1st design is catching up to the Unified Hearts..
I find the 1st design so clean and more zen...
love the blue...
I hope we do that one..
or both.
Just thought I would put my two cents in...
thanks Pam and Laura and everyone else for all your hard work.
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”