75th birthday approaching

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Damfino

Re: 75th birthday

Post by Damfino »

Mirek wrote:

Not everyone - just ladies. At first stage there will be a special committee approving the photos. Any volunteers?
I volunteer to shoot the photos.
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

I really like your idea of a mosaic, Maarten. Are you volunteering to put it together? ;-) :D And I love the way you put it, Hydriot -- to give Leonard "a glimpse of the shadow of his reach." hmm, nice.

Count me in. And count me out of the calendar girls! :shock: Leave that to the younger ones. ;-)

Eve
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,

I was merely pointing you all in a possible direction, but it seems the idea of this mosaic is becoming more and more definitive... I wasn't volunteering to do anything except posing naked (yes ladies, pm me for further details... :) ) so I'm hoping someone will stand up for the crowd and take the lead here. If no-one does, I'll give it a go, but my skills aren't professional and my knowledge limited... I myself would prefer the webpage with the turning tiles over the static portret of -let's say- the cover of "Songs Of LC" with all our pictures. I wouldn't have a clue if it's possible to combine the 2... I provided the link for the "turning tiles photo gallery" but my website building skills are rather humble (although I think I can make this happen if I have a look at it). I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what happens...

Perhaps we can all buy 1 rose on Sept 21 and put them on the stage before Our Master takes his place... You can attach your pic and add something (text, art,...) on the back.

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Hello to all,
In regard to Leonards 75th birthday I think that Leonard will appreciate anything that is done for him. He asks for nothing and expects even less . I do agree that we should do something for him. I am open to the idea of a mosaic however I have always found Leonard to be a gentleman and I believe whatever is done it should be done with class. Who ever takes on this project please advise all of us how and where to send the picture.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

evewaldman wrote: Count me in. And count me out of the calendar girls! :shock: Leave that to the younger ones. ;-)
Eve
But Eve,

LC 'will even wear this old man's mask for you' and he has said, "I want to see you naked..." He never put an age limit on it :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: . Aaaawk, too much visual :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: .

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Leonard wrote:

"Women have been exceptionally kind to my old age. They make a secret place In their busy lives and they take me there. They become naked In their different ways ..."

I once asked an actress friend of mine what it felt like to act naked in front of strangers, and she gave me a far more profound answer than I expected. She said that any person who is an actor is completely naked before each and every audience, whether or not he or she happens to be wearing clothes.

Ladies, you do not have to be without clothes in order to be naked in front of Leonard, as he himself has pointed out in Dear Heather.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

I agree with the last two entries . Taking ones clothes off is easy...
but to stand naked in thought and soul is so much more difficult for some . This has never been an issue for Leonard which is so reflected in all of his songs and poems. An old expression reflect this as never judge a book by its cover rather the contents within it. Outer beauty fades and changes with the seasons of our life. Inner beauty always shines through and is everlasting. Leonard has this inner beauty and we all adore him and love him for this.....
Donalagata ( La Donna)
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

I love this forum, and it never ceases to amaze me how a thread can go from laughter to thoughtful and back to laughter again. I was about to say "M-A-A-A-R-Y!!!! :shock: Whose side are you on anyway! ;-) Then I read your comment, Hydriot, and then yours, La Donna. Oh my yes, I agree with both of you. One never stands so naked as when one's soul is exposed, and aren't we fortunate to benefit from the light that shines through Leonard's soul.

In any event, I still like the mosaic idea. In our own modest ways we could stand "naked" before Leonard as a gesture of our appreciation.

Thanks Mary, Hydriot, and Donalagata :D

My best, (BTW, I always feel naked when I post to the forum :? Maybe that's why I don't post very often :roll: )
Eve
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

evewaldman wrote: My best, (BTW, I always feel naked when I post to the forum :? Maybe that's why I don't post very often :roll: )
Eve
Eve,

You are in such good company. Even self-professed shy people (you know who you are ;-) )have no problem eloquently expressing themselves on this lovely forum. With each post, it becomes easier and easier to 'bare' yourself - then off we go to the forum addicts thread to reaffirm (we don't even have to post there) that we are not alone :roll: :lol: .

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ccqi

Post by ccqi »

Rachelle wrote:I hope there will be a huge splash at the Barcelona concert on September 21, 2009. Leonard's 75th birthday!!!!! :D :D :D
OMG 75th birthday
I'm chinese
FIRST "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" :D
SECN "I really don't think I can see CHOEN in CHINA" :shock:
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Choen in China & Leonard in Barcelona ;-)

In Barcelona we will celebrate a concert-tribute that Jorcx will offer to us the day before of Cohen's 75 anniversary and gig, more info in this forum:
Other gatherings - Barcelona Celebration 20-09-2009
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

I would love to be there for this celebration but I will not be able to. So I will celebrate Leonard's birthday in my thoughts ,hopes and prayers.....he is always with me.....
Donalagata(LaDonna)
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

I just found this thread and I am ready to participate in any way I can.

Admittedly, I don't think Leonard would want to see me naked on the proposed mosaic!

What about including our usernames, which is probably how Leonard may recognize most of us, as i assume he reads the Forum from time to time,

Another sugesstion might be to have an audio portion, singing the birthday song, using a melange of his poetry e.g. reference to his aging as "holding up the wall"! .

Finally, a surprise visit from Prince Charles!!!! This would have to be a secret visit to Barcelona, but he is friends with Juan Carlos, the King of Spain, and his wife Sophia, with whom he could stay as a cover.

Who has connections with Buckingham Palace?

Leonard from Montreal.....same name...same town....no Golden Voice
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Any further thoughts on Leonard's birthday. Serious thoughts only.......
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

I love the idea of honouring Leonard and saying "thank you for being alive at the time of my life".
How about a Scroll? Starting with number 1 and a name, then number 2 and a name etc. We keep adding names to it.
The album cover made up of tiny photos is wonderful. ...
Yet how to do whatever is chosen? Please will someone advise in easy steps what to do and how to do it? (am on the edge of computer illiteracy).
As for being naked - count me in; I agree with Hydriot. And I remember Leonard telling in "Please Don't Pass Me By" when he queried "I am blind" and was told "You didn't think I meant my eyes, did you?"
I'm also musing that the task feels too great ... It is the simple things that are so hard ....
(I'll keep thinking ...).
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”