CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 4

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Laura

CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 4

Post by Laura »

Well, it's not "Bucharest", but "Bucuresti", as Leonard himself said twice, and pretty correctly.

For me, this was probably my luckiest concert. Not only that I had a very good 2nd row seat, but I spent the encores right in front of the stage, maybe 3 meters from Cohen himself... first time when I felt them more than a show on a stage and more like real, living people. (I even waved at Dino Soldo at some point ;-) )

There are so many concert reports, and, yeah, the songs are pretty much the same, so I'll tell you about what changes a bit, the words between the songs. At the beginning, before "Bird on the wire", the classical "I don't know if we'll pass this way again", so "we'll give you our best"... yes, I think it was the best that they gave!
One of my favourite moments; after "Closing time", Leonard advanced to the front of the stage (he was so close, he could have seen my huge smile at that point!), looked at his watch, shruged a bit, and "oh my dear friends, look what happened, it's closing time!" No, I didn't want it to be closing time! especially if "friends" was what we all were at that moment.
And before the blessing at the end, a little speech... how I hope someone recorded it! My memory wasn't working at that point. I only remember he started with "you've been through so much", and yes... how right, how very right that is! We've been through hell here, and maybe we're still in it; but we're waiting for a miracle, and tonight... was a part of it.

Laura
iveta

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 4.

Post by iveta »

Laura your report is so charming and sweet, both descriptive and descreetly sensitive.
You seem to have been given a bit more theraphy than the easier-living rest of the world. I'm sure it helps.
Best Wishes....
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
Dianette

CONCERT REPORT : Bucharest 4th September 2009

Post by Dianette »

Leonard Cohen is not good...he is very good, is the best! the sound was very very good.this time he brang Sharon Robbinson too and her voice is also amazing . I love Cohen because he is so so dedicated to his art, to his passion. He was singing on his knees in the front of us, he was singing with his eyes closed. I appreciate his punctuality, he has a sincerly respect for his fans.The concert was meant to start at 8 o clock and at 8:02 he was singing his first song " Dance me to the end of love".(well, those things are not new cause we are used to his devotion,to his artisticity, rarely meet at artists in our days)This is what I call A REAL ARTIST! Leo is the genius of the music! ;-) ;-) I LOVE HIM TILL THE END OF TIME...
This concert made my life more beautiful!
birdonthewire

Post by birdonthewire »

The concert in Bucharest was charming. i'm glad it took place on this smaller arena than in front of that monstruos building. it was more intimate and the sound sorrounded us like a seal from the reality.
Leonard was a wizard of the souls last night. Punctual as usual, elegant, humble in his simplicity. great band, catchy remarks, we laughed, we cried, we felt shivers down the spine during "if it be your will" (the man himself listened to the Webb sisters with his eyes closed as if he was in a church praying). at the end of the concert my palms were swollen due to the non stop clapping all through the 3 encores.
As Laura said in an earlier post we were so emotional at the end that the memory wouldn't work so i could only memorize snippets of his goodbye speech. "May your bleesings find you also in your solitude..." he said at one point. Touching....
The concert fueled my soul until next year! Hopefully he will return.... :D

Emilia

p.s. I got also a pin with the order of the unified heart!!! happy :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from "remuscernea" on YouTube -

Famous Blue Raincoat -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2ijDSoAco

If It Be Your Will -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QqMVo4tNnQ

Thanks!
csimpkins

Post by csimpkins »

Leonard Cohen (and accompanying musicians), your artistry, poetry and sincerity was GREATLY appreciated by all! "Bucharest I'm not here to fool you "Hallelujah!

My only complaint is Bucharest isn't written on your 2009 European Tour poster (that I bought for aprox $15). It reads: Budapest Sept 2, 4. Is this a typo, or was the Bucharest concert originally unplanned?

If you see this post while you are still in town (and you have the time) it would mean the WORLD to me if you sigined the poster 'Bucharest I'm not here to fool you' Sincerely L.Cohen September 4 2009

csimpkins1982@yahoo.com

Thanks Again!
Amalia

Post by Amalia »

For me was the best concert ever. 7500 people went with him in the Tower of sound, last night.
I could breathe the sound and I touched the town’s bricks. Walls of sound were building behind my closed eyes. When he comes back first with “So long, Marianne” I felt so privileged to be there! The entire energy reached its maximum and I felt my heart in any inch of my body. I thank to God that Leonard Cohen exists and hopefully I’ ll have the chance to hear him next years in Bucharest. Since then, God bless him and his band!

Happy Birthday, Sir Leonard Cohen!
Amalia
Last edited by Amalia on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

One warm September evening, under the spell of the full moon, a Man brought his heart in his hands and whispered how much he loves life.
One warm September evening, a Magician made thousands dream while joining in his Hallelujah.
One warm September evening, Leonard reinvented all the words and carried them on the wings of music and into our heart – one heart for thousands of bodies. One warm September evening, a miracle happened for the second time, after last year’s call – and yet time did not stand still.
One warm September evening, Leonard Cohen whispered all the words and there was nothing else left to say.

It was the 4th of September in Bucureşti, the day when hearts beat differently, near him.
If it be his will, let him sing forever...

Last year, I had thought this would be the one and only chance to see his in Bucharest, yet a miracle has happened and he has returned. I am waiting for the next, then!
Dianette

Post by Dianette »

Cohen is the type of man/artist who should live forever...
does anyone know when will he start a new tour of concerts around the world?
Dianette

Post by Dianette »

and...yes Carmen,I had the same feeling last year...I was thinking that if I miss that concert, I will never see him ,but this year I was Waiting for the miracle(even if I was last year too) and it came...
Laura

Post by Laura »

I wish so much that I could see him again, too; but, finally, if it repeats itself too many times, it may not be a miracle anymore.

Laura
Dianette

Post by Dianette »

Laura wrote:I wish so much that I could see him again, too; but, finally, if it repeats itself too many times, it may not be a miracle anymore.

Laura
yes, cause every wonder lasts three days... :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Dianette wrote:
Laura wrote:I wish so much that I could see him again, too; but, finally, if it repeats itself too many times, it may not be a miracle anymore.

Laura
yes, cause every wonder lasts three days... :)

Or 2 years, in the case of Cohen concerts. He says he's slow, after all! ;-)

On a bit different topic... I was amazed last night at the number of people who knew the words of the songs, and seemed to be truly respectful and in love with Mr. Cohen's work. For so many years, I thought I was alone in this city! So, if anybody wants to share the feeling of last night, or even a bit more, I'd really like if you write to me. As Cohen said... "oh, my dear friends"... Maybe you are not my friends yet, but maybe in a way, you are.

Laura
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A lot of video from "AKSTOP" on YouTube - a bit blurry sometimes but the audio okay - and full songs.

Closing Time - at 4:20 - Leonard - "All right - here we go."
Then at 5:20 "My dear friends - look what happened. It's closing time." :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZN1jWLBuc

Click on "More From: AKSTOP" for a lot more.
Carmen

Bucharest concert - an answer to Laura

Post by Carmen »

Yes Laura, I know quite a few people who adore Leonard and know his lyrics by heart because he left a mark on our teen and youth age (in my case the 80s). The first one to call out attention to him - it MUST be said - was Motzu Pittis in his Radio Tineret shows. Suzanne came first, then Joan of Arc and Famous Blue Raincoat (the last being my favourite ever, with the later adding of Anthem). One, because life is always surprising even in pain; the second, because there is light in it after all.
But not too many speak about it - we meet and acknowledge each other, rejoice the common feeling and remain silent. That is L's power.
In any case, for a year or so, it has been nice reading your comments and seeing your enthusiasm is so refreshing!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”