Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bratislava August 28

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

While we wait - here is a bit of "Bird On The Wire" from Edina. Come on - it ain't that bad! She's tired of the global guilt - she just wants nicer things. :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/4208340
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

I´d like to share with my pics from bratislava, where should I put it? Right here or is some better place? ;-)
But you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice,
oh please let me come into the storm
juriusz

Post by juriusz »

Finally I have a few free minutes, this is the setlist I was lucky to be given at the end of the concert:

EDIT: I was sitting pretty far from the scene, but recorded a few songs. Don't know if anyone is interested, quality is really bad.
The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtBYlb8HR8
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

Just wondering does anyone have a video of the introduction to Anthem (ring the bells) or even remember the words.
Leonard used a different introduction to any I've heard before.
Thanks
Dublin 1988, 2008,2009, Belfast 2009, Bratislava 2009, Gent 2010, Dublin 2012
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

juriusz wrote: I was sitting pretty far from the scene, but recorded a few songs. Don't know if anyone is interested, quality is really bad.
The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtBYlb8HR8
It's always a joy to watch an LC "You Are There" video. Thanks for sharing.

Also uploaded Take This Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x7qG6x ... re=channel
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
iveta

Post by iveta »

silvinka on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:02 pm
I´d like to share with my pics from bratislava, where should I put it? Right here or is some better place? ;-)
pleaaase here

awaiting eagerly
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

pleaaase here

awaiting eagerly[/quote]

;-) pics here and video tomorrow on youtube
(btw-I´ve helped to Marina with posting pics, but she coulńd find pics in her comp :? )
lc 3.jpg
lc 1.jpg
lc 4.jpg
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

lc 77.jpg
lc 9.jpg
lc 5.jpg
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

sr 1.jpg
lc 7.jpg
lc 8.jpg
iveta

Post by iveta »

most grateful
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
silvinka

Post by silvinka »

iveta wrote:most grateful
dík ;-) thanks :D I´ve had really good place
iveta

Post by iveta »

sa ti žije :)
congratulations :)
next time he comes i´ll buy a ticket - no matter how expensive - for a place where I´ll be able to give him flowers, some danubish hyacint wild
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Left Dublin at the break of day on Friday. Had a very nice time sightseeing in Bratislava. Quick snooze to refresh was interrupted by a drum practice in one of the main squares, it was a national holiday weekend.

We met our Slovakian friends Michal and Katarina for dinner and then went to the concert. I was a little apprehensive as to whether they would enjoy the night. They are a lot younger than us and newbies to Leonard.

The first eight rows on the floor were reserved for vip guests. We all know that Leonard starts his concerts on time but it was a shame that the organisors didn't announce this, it might have avoided lots of visual interruptions during the first song as latecomers took their seats.

Highlights of the night for me included hearing my first live version of Lover Lover Lover, an absolute delight.

The second half started strangely in that our row (9) temporarily became the front row as Leonard was left singing to a virtually empty first eight rows as the vip guests were still elsewhere. Again lots of interruptions as the filed in towards the end of the song.

Sharon, Charley, Hattie and Leonard were presented with flower arrangements close to the end of the concert by two girls who were allowed through the security barrier by a member of staff. They were all beautiful but Leonard's arrangement stood out, it was customised, the long stemmed flowers were surrounding a miniature fedora. I do hope someone had a photo of this, I attempted to take one but I couldn't switch the flash off in time so I missed the moment. Lovely to witness.

It was great to see some Forum members. Kaz it was great to meet both you and your daughter. Hope to see you again.

Lovely to meet you Bluebell, In answer to your question, the poem Leonard recited as an introduction to Anthem is called The Flood from the Book of Longing;

The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will drown
And the soul will break loose - (and the spirit shake loose) is what he recited on the night
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof

I was so happy at the end of the night when our friends declared Leonard facinating and said they really enjoyed
the show.

Already looking forward to Barcelona.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Great Photos silvinka!!! :D
We can view reports only confirm. We sat on 13 row.
After the concert we had a chance and meet roscoe Beck and Rafael Gaylo and we became Autographs. After 10minutes later outside wir meet Mr. Cohen. There were a few people and he actually gave a few autographs. I became a one in the Book of longing. :D I can not believe still. I willl try the pictures upload and to share this joy with you.We will never forgot this moment in our life.
Marina
jozef

Post by jozef »

A few thousand people sit in a hall
Is it big or is it small
Well I come out of my room
A loner breathing through the gloom

You spend a lot of time kneeling
To read the traces of a life
And when I think I get the feeling
It's time to move to the next line

I wish Mr. Cohen would say few more words between songs, especially prior to those heavy bombs of poetry, to prepare us for such an intimate experience. I would sacrifice one or two songs for some insight guidance.
The band had great sound. Sharon Robertson has great r'n'b and soul expression, the band could make one or two more r'n'b arrangements. Also I would like to hear more solos from the pianist. The Web sisters were just amazing. Their "If It Be Your Will" was jaw-dropping.
Who knows maybe some decoration or ballet dance or video, all in very decent manner, could make it even more impressive for distant seats. Once again, thanks to Leonard's bus drivers. :)

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”