CONCERT REPORT: Foire aux Vins de Colmar Festival, August 16

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
imyourwoman

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Foire aux Vins de Colmar Festival, August 16

Post by imyourwoman »

Pearlvoice wrote: Unfortunately in the video the light's too bright
Or is it the moon? :lol:
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

imyourwoman wrote:
Pearlvoice wrote: Unfortunately in the video the light's too bright
Or is it the moon? :lol:
Yes of course! Why didn't I think of that, imyourwoman :lol: :lol: :lol: And then again you can't really see the tight chains.. *rrr*

There is a another nice report about the concert online here

http://burnyourears.de/artikel-menue/li ... olmar.html

I tried to translate it as good as I could as follows. Unfortunately I didn't manage to translate the whole thing (yet) as I'm a bit in a hurry. But there's just a tiny bit at the end missing and I'll supply that later. (I made the translation in the office and working time is over now *lol*) Sorry for any mistakes.

A year ago I already had the opportunity, to see LEONARD COHEN live. But since at that time I worked at the "Stimmen Festival" in Lörrach, back then I could only hear the concert but not see it. And I am still impressed by the great slender man who greeted everyone in the backstage area so friendly – from the kitchen aid to the tour manager. The "Live In London 'DVD and CD impressed me further more, so it was no difficult decision [that I'd attend] when I heard of Cohen's concert at the Wine Fair in Colmar, just 50 kilometres away.

16.08.09 - Wine can hardly be found on the outer grounds of the fair. Instead, one has the feeling that all the commercials from the teleshopping channel have come alive.From the knives to kitchen machines up to leather jackets, there is pretty much everything that you do not absolutely need.
Admission to the exhibition hall is still an hour away so you can spend some time between the various food stalls, which sell more or less authentic French specialties. A Burger in a baguette is quite some idea.Colmar Expo arena itself is a functionally designed venue but totally free of any ambiance in the form of an amphitheater. Since all the seats are roofed, one doesn't have to worry about severe weather warnings. Since all the balconies (seating accomotations) have already largely been filled, the choice for the standing room is not difficult and it turns out to be a brilliant decision. I'm just 10 meters away from the musicians, who enter the stage on time at 8.30 pm.

As Leonard Cohen enters the stage I get goose bumps for the first time, because everyone in the arena gives a standing ovation. Even Cohen himself seems to be touched. He lifts his hat and enjoys the attention of his audience. Then the band starts playing "Dance Me To The End Of Love". Cohen sings the first verse kneeling to his genius guitarris Javier Mas and then skips over to his background singers. I hope I'll be that fit when I'm almost 75 – or even on some days nowadays.

At the beginning, the setlist is based largely on the one of the "Live In London" DVD. And where a year ago I was impressed, I'm absolutely thrilled now. I have never experience such a dense melancholy at a concert. Still Leonard Cohen does never, not for a single moment, slide into whining[/tearfulness]. Yet when I look around I'm not the only one who has to fight against a lump in the throat. In fact, everyone around me has tears in their eyes. And yet it is also always Cohen who, when the melancholy in the audience threatens to overwhelm, saves us with a little irony and a little faster and a bit angrier song. And so – after the incredible "There Is not No Cure For Love" and the deeply sad "Bird On A Wire" it is "Everybody Knows" that revives me (the first of three songs, that the background singer Sharon Robinson has co-written and co-produced). Incidentally this is also by far the best of these three songs. The following "[In] My secrete life" is too shallow and the later "Boogie Street" is justifiable as Sharon's song, but certainly not a highlight of the concert.

After returning to the dark side with "Who By Fire", we've come to the first two surprises in the setlist with "Lover Lover" and "Waiting For The Miracle". And then, with "Anthem" one of my absolute favorites. Before Leonar Cohen and his band leave for a 15 minute break all the musicians are being presented. To each of his fellow musicians Leonard Cohen leaves their applaus and bows down before he finally leaves the stage.

Meanwhile it became much more crowded in the standing area, and since the air here in the Expo Colmar Arena became really sticky I am grateful, that everyone around me tries to get outside for their cigarettes. Besides it is a good opportunity to get a few meters closer to the stage. When two roadies, wearing the hats so typical for Cohen, put a keyboard in the middle fo the stage I already know that I can look forward to one of my other favourites. And exactly – the second half of the set starts with „Tower Of Song" and with u„Suzanne" and „Sisters Of Mercy" kind of a "Greatest Hits" Phase is being heralded.

The set goes on with "Hey That's No Way To Say Good Bye and when Cohen sings a verse of "The Partisan" in French the athmosphere almost explodes. Generally the applauding audience does not let Cohen get a word edgewise and so his announcements are very rare. "Boogie Street" is the song by Sharon Robinson, who probably played quite a role in Cohen's return to the stage. Cohen himself remains in the background [while Sharon Robinson sings] and sings the background vocals himself. With alle due respect for Sharon Robinsons skills, but the soul-number is just a foreign body [?] in the set.

To make up for it, now comes the greatest hit of Cohen and probably the most covered. As the chorus of "Hallelujah" is accompanied b the estimated 8000 people in the audience I need a little time to recover myself. Whereas the song in the London version could not bear comparison with the studio recording it is all perfect here [in Colmar]. It's then time to brighten up the mood and during the following "I'm your man" a fan causes laughter by throwing to Cohen at first a pair of boxing gloves („If you want a boxer..." ) and then a Stethoskop ( „If you want a doctor..." ), which Cohen immediately wears, respectively throws over his shoulder. Finally the second set closes with „Take This Walz" and the audience wildly applaudes Cohen and his musicians. Of course they have to return to the stage because there are still some major hits missing.
[translation to be continued]
tigrib

Post by tigrib »

Hallelujah - recorded in Colmar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZ2UM-h_wM

Enjoy!
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
Henning

Post by Henning »

Der Schwarzwälder Bote mit eingeschränkter Begeisterung:
Attachments
colmar.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Well, thanks for sharing, Henning - the only thing I agree with in this article is that the clapping along to the beat was somewhat dis-concerting (pun intended). Apart from that, well, maybe the critic really didn't like the concert, but all in all, he rather sounds like someone trying by all means to be original and provocative... BORING and sickeningly sweet?! He must have been to a different concert from the rest of us!!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Womanfromaroom wrote:BORING and sickeningly sweet?! He must have been to a different concert from the rest of us!!
Very well said, womanfromaroom. My guess is that he got lost in one of the wine-tents opposite the theater 8)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Source: BurnYourEars - Webzine 16.08.09
http://www.burnyourears.de/artikel-menu ... xpo-colmar
Google Translation (from German)
A year ago I once had the opportunity to experience live to LEONARD COHEN. But since I have used to work at the "Festival of Voices", I could not hear the concert only see them. And yet impressed me the great gaunt man who everyone in the backstage area of the kitchen help to the tour manager greeted him kindly. The 'Live In London 'DVD and CD impressed me more, and so it was not a tough decision when I heard of Cohen's concert at the Wine Fair in Colmar, 50km away.

Wine can be found on the outer grounds of the fair, however, hardly. Instead, one has the feeling that awakens all the clips on the tele to life are. From the kitchen knives on machines up to leather jackets, there is pretty much what you do not need mandatory.
Admission to the exhibition hall there is also about an hour before the concert begins to wait a while for him. You can while away the time with various food stalls that offer more or less authentic French cuisine. Come on hamburgers in bread must be erstmal.
The Expo Arena Colmar itself is indeed a very practical thought-out, but completely atmosphärefreier venue, a small amphitheater for example in the form. Since all sites are completely sheltered from the sidelines until the interior, you have to make the issued severe weather warnings for the time being not to worry. Since the ranks are already largely occupied, the decision is not difficult for the interior, and is proving to be spot-on. Almost 10 meters distance separating me from the musicians who present themselves on time at 20:30 on the clock with waving white cloths draped stage.

As Leonard Cohen takes the stage, I had goose bumps the first time, because in the whole arena now sits nobody. Even Cohen himself seems touched, moves as so often this evening, his hat and enjoys the attention of his audience.
Then the band enters with "Dance Me To The End Of Love". The first stanza sings COHEN, kneeling next to his, by the way genius, guitarist Javier Mas and then dances to his Backround singers. Thus, in good shape with just under 75 I would also like to be , and on some days even today.

First, the setlist is based largely on the program that most viewers will be aware of the "Live In London" recording. And where I was struck a year ago, I'm absolutely thrilled. I have never at a concert so dense melancholy experience without LEONARD COHEN here only for a moment to slip into the lachrymose. And when I look around me so I'm not the only one who has to struggle constantly with a tennis ball in my throat Klos. In fact, all have around me always tears in his eyes. And yet, Cohen succeeds again and again, when the melancholy threatens to overwhelm the audience, one with a tick faster, a little ironic or save a little bit angry piece.
And so it is after the incredible "There Is not No Cure For Love" and the deeply sad "Bird On A Wire," "Everybody Knows" has given me new co-written (the first of three plays that Backround singer Sharon Robinson and produced). Incidentally, this is also by far the strongest of these three pieces. The following "My Secret Life" has become too shallow, and later placed in the set "Boogie Street" is acceptable, although as Sharon's song, but certainly not a highlight of the concert.
Once you are with "Who By Fire" slipped back to the dark side to come up with "Lover Lover" and "Waiting For The Miracle", the first two surprises in the setlist. And then with "Anthem", one of my absolute favorite.
Before LEONARD COHEN with his band, then withdraws into an approximately fifteen-break, which will present all the musicians. This makes each of his fellow COHEN his applause and bows to his musicians, before he finally leaves the stage.

Meanwhile it is in the interior has become much fuller, and there in the Expo Colmar Arnea the humid air has been standing for hours, I am grateful when everything around me pushing for smoking to outside. Moreover, even a welcome opportunity for a few yards in front for good.
When two roadies to carry all the way, the typical COHEN hat, place a keyboard in the middle of the stage, I already know that I can look me straight to another favorite. And sure enough, with "Tower of Song" opens the second half of the set, and with "Suzanne" and "Sisters of Mercy" virtually a Greatest Hits-heralded passage.

"Hey That's No Way To Say Good Bye", from the London bloggers actually expected in the first half, set on the list of feats, and when Cohen on "The Partisan," sings a verse in French, cook the arena through definitive. In general, the applauding fans COHEN leave this evening hardly have a voice, so announcements are extremely rare.
"Boogie Street" is ultimately the song from Sharon Robinson, who was probably in no small part in Leonard Cohen's return to the world stage. COHEN itself runs behind in the background, and now even controls Backround-in vocals. With all due respect prior to the skill of Mrs Robinson, but the soul is simply a foreign object number in the set.

That comes after probably the biggest hit of Cohen, and probably meistgecoverte. Is sung as the chorus of "Hallelujah" from an estimated 8,000 people, I do not need a while to get the text again. Could this particular song in the London version does not compete with the studio recording, now agrees with everything.
It is time to loosen the mood of something, and the following "I'm Your Man" provides a fan for the laughs, the first boxing gloves COHEN match the text ( "If you want a boxer ...") and a stethoscope (" If you want a doctor ...") throws, which also creates LEONARD COHEN immediately or throw over your shoulder.
Finally, include "Take This Walz" from the second part of the set, and the crowd celebrate Cohen and his musicians. That they would come back on stage, it is clear, because some immortal hits are missing.

And so the addition begins with "So Long Marianne" and probably the tanzbarsten piece of the evening "First We Take Manhattan", another favorite of mine. "Famous Blue Raincoat" is the next "surprise" in the set. The recitation of an exchange of letters turns into "If It Be Your Will", says the first verse of the COHEN, before Charley and Hattie Webb, the "sublime Webb Sisters", the song in a heart-rending duet - accompanied by harp (Charly) a guitar (Hattie) and Neil Larsen in the divine Hammond B3 complete -.
Now it is too late again, which suggests the following title "Closing Time", which again shows the more upbeat side of LEONARD COHEN. When he leaves the stage, celebrating him Colmar concluded with a standing ovation.

And so can the grand old man also draw attention back to the stage to perform with the situation quite ironic "I Tried To Leave You" finally come to the end. But first the band members are allowed to show a small solo part again, adopt what they can, and be rewarded with applause from the audience. After gathering all the musicians, roadies and part of the crew to the a cappella piece "Wither Thou Goest" on stage and is now really the spectators in the Colmar Expo.

One should be careful with superlatives, but I am so far to call this concert as the best of my recent life. How and who is said to surpass that, I can not imagine at the moment. Each artist will have a hard time in the coming months.
Without question, I was emotionally taken so far no other concert as this. So beautifully sad, I felt before, and even one days later, the melancholy is not yet evaporated.
Whoever has the opportunity to see Leonard Cohen live, they should use, so long as it goes. Eventually, these legends will be their last concert.

Remains so in the end only a great conclusion to draw, even if the evening in Colmar for some reason should have been my last concert ... somehow that would be OK.

Leonard Cohen Unified Hearts Tour Band:

Leonard Cohen: vocals, guitar, keyboard
Roscoe Beck: musical director, bass guitar, double bass, vocals
Neil Larsen: Hammond B3, keyboards, accordion
Bob Metzger: Electric guitar, petal steel guitar, vocals
Javier Mass.: Banduirra, lute, 12-string guitar
Rafael Gayol: drums, percussion
Dino Soldo: keyboards, saxophone, harmonica and various other instruments, vocals
Sharon Robinson: vocals, percussion
Charley and Hattie Webb: vocals, harp, guitar, percussion

Setlist:

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Is not No Cure For Love
Bird On A Wire
Everybody Knows
My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Lover Lover
Waiting For The Miracle
Anthem

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Sisters Of Mercy
Hey, That's No Way To Say Good Bye
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take This Walz

So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

I Tried To Leave You
Wither Thou Goest

2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Henning wrote:Der Schwarzwälder Bote mit eingeschränkter Begeisterung:
Der Schwarzwaelder Bote ist auch nicht das Non-plus-Ultra der deutschen Zeitungslandschaft 8)

Haetten auch mal besser recherchieren koennen, denn die Webb Sisters kommen doch aus England nicht Irland.

obwohl, das Geschunkele bei So Long Marianne fand ich letztes Jahr in Loerrach auch schon etwas unpassend.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Foire aux Vins de Colmar Festival, Augus

Post by sturgess66 »

Terrific video uploaded by FAV ColmaR -

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3wWJHCySw
johnsontvc

Post by johnsontvc »

Great post, a lot of stuff in here i did not know about :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Exceptional, professional-quality video. I'm so glad Linda posted it here! RIP Linda.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”