Leonard Cohen in Israel

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
orna

Leonard Cohen in Israel

Post by orna »

Hello,
As you can see I am new here.
I am so glad that Leonard is going to perform in Israel on September.
But I am so sad that all the tickets have been sold out less then 24 hours..... :cry:
How can I stay at home that day??
I have been waiting such a long time since his last performance in Israel that took place in Jerusalem.
Still hoping for the second show..... ;-)
Orna
Inna

Re: Leonard Cohen in Israel

Post by Inna »

I second that completely. I think that considering the hight speed sale, the craze around this event, there should be another show. We deserve it. And it will also sell out instantly.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Inna and Orna ~

I'm so sad to see Israeli fans miss out on chances for tickets to Leonard's show. I haven't been following everything, but I believe it's just the pre-sale tickets that would be sold out, and you will still have a chance when the tickets go to public sale... and there will still be some of the best seats within those, as well. Praying for you to get some.

Welcome to you both :cry: !!

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Oh Lizzy,

I wish that were so, but someone posted the information that 47,000 seats sold out in about 17-19 hours. Maybe there's a wee bit of chance for a second concert, but someone else already said there was no chance, something to do with the venue itself :cry: . Would be wonderful if everyone was able to see him.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

47,000 people seeing Leonard in israel! I bet there won't be a dry eye there including Leonard!
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Yes, it looks like Israeli fans who have not yet secured tickets will have to make a last-minute trip to Europe or plan a skip across the pond to the US in the fall. Come on guys, you know you want it, you know it's worth it... make it happen. 8)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Haaretz.com
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1104784.html
Leonard Cohen show sells out in hours

All 47,000 tickets to the Leonard Cohen concert in Ramat Gan have been sold in less than 24 hours, the Le'an ticket agency confirmed yesterday. The tickets went on sale on Saturday night, with the high demand causing the ticket agency's Web site to crash within hours. By Sunday noon, tickets reserved for customers of Discount Bank, a key sponsor of the event, also ran out. The tickets were priced at between NIS 450 and NIS 1,200. Cohen's management says profits from the performance will go to Israeli and Palestinian groups working for coexistence. The producers said no additional concerts were planned to accommodate the high demand (Noya Kohavi)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh NOOOOOooooooooo. That's dreadful!! Maybe some are Ticketmaster [or the equivalent over there] buying up blocks for later sales of them?? NOT that a sold-out 47,000 is at ALL difficult to imagine because it's not. I'm just so hoping for Orna and Inna and others like them that it might still be possible to see him THERE! Nothing will be like seeing Leonard in Israel.

Now I want to wipe that big smile off my face and replace it with an emoticon more appropriate to the situation.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
idoamir1

Post by idoamir1 »

I can only say I am frustrated, and shocked...
As one of the many people who tried for hours to reach the ticket office Saturday evening, and all through Sunday, and failed miserably, I was convinced the concert production people would be considerate, and would allow us to spend more money on an additional concert... :-(
Indeed, there would be nothing like a Leonard Cohen concert in Israel...
After hoping for years to be able to see LC in Israel, that dream was given to me, and then taken from me in a frustrating 19 hour hysterical ticket race in which I had no chance.
Now I can only pray that somehow there will be a 2nd concert.
:(
mirka

Post by mirka »

idoamir1 wrote:I can only say I am frustrated, and shocked...
IMHO it's quite possible promoters/local ticket agents are gauging tickets again, as it happened both in Europe and in US (I experienced it myself):
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13839&st=0&sk=t&sd ... r+scamming

Selling 47000 tickets in 24 hrs means statistically every minute of the 24 hrs 32 tickets were sold, which is impossible if tickets were sold they way it was advertised.
Unless scalpers within Israel are extremely well organized and took over half of the stadium, I'd think tickets will become available closer to the concert date. This happened quite often during this tour, in many US and European countries.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
orenlust

Post by orenlust »

i dont know if leonard reads those post , but i'll address it to him as one of his biggest fans.
two days ago , they opened the sell for your concert tickets in israel , i dont know if you informed but it was disgrace. the internet site went down, the phone operator answered only few calls ( i've tried over 4 hours to call again and again even asked my family members to try to call from different locations but now one could get a hold of them ) and half of the tickets are given to people that related to bank that sponsors the concert.

i dont know if you know but at the beginning of september madonna comes to israel to preform and the organization of her show was great.
after all the tickets sold out , she added a show day after in the same place.

we wonder can you please add another concert ,day after. so many people here waited here to watch you and couldn't get a ticket.
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

I too think a second concert is needed...

If you didn't get tickets - there are plenty of people who did and who sells their tickets... try to look around israeli forums... you might pay a little more, but it's worth it.
thomas9

Post by thomas9 »

mirka wrote:
IMHO it's quite possible promoters/local ticket agents are gauging tickets again, as it happened both in Europe and in US (I experienced it myself):

Selling 47000 tickets in 24 hrs means statistically every minute of the 24 hrs 32 tickets were sold, which is impossible if tickets were sold they way it was advertised.
Unless scalpers within Israel are extremely well organized and took over half of the stadium, I'd think tickets will become available closer to the concert date. This happened quite often during this tour, in many US and European countries.
Most tickets were sold via the Internet.
"Leaan" office claims that their Internet server can serve 1000 customers concurrently.
So assuming that an online order takes maximum 5 minutes, they could sell 12000 tickets per hour.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

mirka wrote:

mirka,

I hope you are right and tickets will become available at list price. However, in a country of 7 million where Leonard Cohen songs are regularly played on national radio stations it is quite possible that 47,000 tickets to the first concert in many many years have indeed sold out to individuals.

Avi
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
noamcagan

Post by noamcagan »

Since the Bank who took the sponsorship bought 27,000 tickets to his clients and employees
and there were actually two sites in which you can buy tickets the sold-out is not a spin it what probably did happened.
each client of the bank could buy 4 tickets so assuming a bank have more than 5,000 clients, selling those tickets in few hours is more than possible.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”