CONCERT REPORT: Venice, August 3

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Venice, August 3

Post by MaryB »

Dharma,
What a great job of filming and putting together this video. Outstanding job! You are giving IrishAl some serious competition! Thank you for this!

WOW! This is the best performance of this song I have seen to date! Even Bob Metzger was so highly animated in the beginning that LC was amused by him at :47. The enjoyment of the artists on stage during this song positively oozed from the screen!

Ken,
Was there no one there with even a cell phone that could have recorded at least part of the moment? I don't care if he was singing the alphabet! Sadly, what a lost opportunity.

Best regards,
Mary

(PS If we guess the song, will you buy us a drink? ;-) :lol: )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Susy

Post by Susy »

Hello dharma ,what shall I say about your "Manhattan" Video...I think everything is said before...just found one of my clapping hand at the end
...and all I can say is THANK YOU for this beautiful memory. :D
Till now I watched your video for about 10 times and still be there in my very wet seat in Venice .Greetings from Switzerland ,Susanne !
Susy
Relate

Post by Relate »

liverpoolken wrote:I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before but when Leonard visited Piazza San Marco on the day before the concert something quite strange took place. During Leonard's visit to the Cafe Florian (see Jarkko's slideshow) the resident band started to play a certain tune. Whether or not it was in Leonard's honour I don't know and I don't think Jarkko knows either, but that didn't stop Leonard from giving an impromptu perfomance. It was a pity that nobody thought to record it.

It certainly wasn't one of Leonard's songs so it would have been quiet a rarity for the completists amongst us.
The name of the song? Ahh!! that'll cost you a drink.

Ta Ken
Could it have been 'Just One Cornetto'?

:lol:
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

="Relate
Could it have been 'Just One Cornetto'?
It's a song from a crappy Broadway show is all I'm prepared to say.
Anybody who cares to ply me me a glass of cava in Barcelona will have the name of the song whispered in their ear.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Er.... not so crappy. Was it 'if I was a rich man' from fiddler on the roof?

Thanks

I'll take those drinks.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Liam

You swine!!!

That's plan A outta the window....thanks to you it looks like I will now have to buy my own drinks in Barcelona.

It's a few years since I saw Fiddler but from what I can remember my overall impression at the time was that it relied completely on schmaltzy sentiment shot through with corny homespun philosophy slobbering in its eagerness to prove how loveable it all was...yucky yuk. with one or two nice tunes buried in there somewhere.
No prisoners taken in this quarter when it comes to theatre. For me musical theatre begins and ends with Sondheim, but I'm a Bob Dylan fan so what do I know about music:-)

After his San Marco performance outside Florians maybe after the tour has finished LC is considering a new career in musical theatre starting with the Topol role in Fiddler.

BTW it's sturgess66 who offered the drink for the name of the song.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Clem

Post by Clem »

Liamberney wrote:Er.... not so crappy. Was it 'if I was a rich man' from fiddler on the roof?

Thanks

I'll take those drinks.
No it wasn't. It was 'If I were a rich man' from Fiddler on the Roof.

Please send a voucher for the drinks to: "The Chief Pedant, The Society For The Survival Of The Subjunctive Mood in English".

It is an irony that Americans generally use the subjunctive correctly, but the English generally get it wrong. Even dyslexic George Bush tends to use the subjunctive mood correctly!!

Clem
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Hi Ken

Good to see you are on form ( I had forgotten you are a scholar of the theatre). I had best not own up to enjoying the sound of music last year at the Palladium then.

Clem, you are going to make me self concious if you carry on like this. Are you a teacher, or American, or both?

Liam
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

alrighty then...someone can post details of the song in the cafe ANYTIME now...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Billie Harvey-Munro »

Hello I'm new! I have just read what you said about Venice, and I have to agree! I love it too! :D
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

Hello Billie and welcome to the forum. Were you at the Venice gig? If so, what did you think?
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

I can't believe I missed the Venice concert. I am absolutely gutted. I was preoccupied on the day. What a waste of money on plane fare and concert ticket. More than that, I missed the big priest's debut performance of The D ark.ness

What a complete bummer!
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

More than that, I missed out on meeting up with Good Sir Knight Maarten and Fair Lady Wendy.

Of course, the bonus is that I avoided meeting up with any anti-semitic pondscum masquerading as anti-zionists who might have attended.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

Not that any of you are, of course. Just hedging my boggerts.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Midnight Choir wrote:I can't believe I missed the Venice concert. I am absolutely gutted. I was preoccupied on the day. What a waste of money on plane fare and concert ticket. More than that, I missed the big priest's debut performance of The D ark.ness

What a complete bummer!
Sorry to hear that MC. I did go to look for you to say hello before the show but thought I must have got the wrong seating area.

Wendy

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”