CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tinderella

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by tinderella »

A couple more
Attachments
Leonard 2009 017 (Small).jpg
My favourite pic that I took.jpg
tricolor stage.jpg
Last edited by tinderella on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

"albertnoonan" has uploaded "Who By Fire" on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_rw3ugfaA
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

[quote="musicmania"]They are brilliant photos!! I was wondering what the view from the flat seating would be like! I'm in row E for the Michael Jackson tribute Thriller live! Seeing your pics I can't wait now![/quote]

Phew!
I thought he was dead.
Oh the relief.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I've finally taken the time to read through this thread and watch some of the videos. All I have to say is that Leonard really loves Ireland! And I suspect the rest of his Unified Heart Touring Company does as well. I really wish that I had been able to join you for these mutual admiration society events. IrishMar & IrishAl-you've done a magnificent job with your videos! I absolutely love Leonard's new verse to "A Thousand Kisses Deep" and the performance of "Lullabye." When we saw him over a year ago in Hamilton, Ontario, he recited my favorite version of one of the verses:
"Was looking at a crucifix
Some light got in my eye,
A light that didn't need to live
And didn't need to die.
A riddle in the book of love,
Obscure & Obsolete,
"til written here in time and blood,
A Thousand Kisses Deep."

I still think it is the only time he has used this and I would like to think he did it for me.

I just love how he keeps this poem alive by his constant tinkering.

When Anne & I were on the train home from Chicago after his concert there last May, I was trying to cheer myself up after accepting that this was probably the last concert that we would see him. Now suddenly, we are looking forward to Barcelona and probably Nashville here this fall. I keep thinking of Keats' poem, "To Autumn" and these lines:

...to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,

Red Poppy, I hope we have the chance to meet someday! I promise to sing only Joe Dolan songs.

Tinderella, looking forward to meeting you in Wales!

All the best,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Many thanks to Al et. al. (sorry for the poor pun) for the videos and the photographs. All Cohenites are indebted to you and your generosity. Leonard himself would be grateful if he had the time to browse through them. Should we petition a return tour next year (Shorter, less demanding) or is that asking for too much? If the group breaks up they might never come back together again. We live in hope.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Jd, don't you think Leonard has gone way above and beyond the call of duty?

He is almost 75 and deserves the rest of his life in comfort and happiness.
He has given more than I or most have ever expected. Over a year ago... i was on tenderhooks wondering if I would get a ticket to just see him once in my lifetime, and lo and behold, I saw him 6 times and will do so again in Barcelona.
I consider myself to be EXTREMELY lucky.

We will always have the memories and with the technological age we live in, we are blessed that at the touch of a button, Leonard can be in our living room again if we so wish.

He deserves some Leonard time now.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Tinderella,

agreed - but I still think he is actually having a great Leonard time right now! I have got the impression that in Cologne, for example, he delivered the line "I used to live alone before I knew you" with remarkable sentiment - so it might just have been a way, too, of acknowledging and addressing the audience there...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

tinderella wrote:Jd, don't you think Leonard has gone way above and beyond the call of duty?

He is almost 75 and deserves the rest of his life in comfort and happiness.
He has given more than I or most have ever expected. Over a year ago... i was on tenderhooks wondering if I would get a ticket to just see him once in my lifetime, and lo and behold, I saw him 6 times and will do so again in Barcelona.
I consider myself to be EXTREMELY lucky.

We will always have the memories and with the technological age we live in, we are blessed that at the touch of a button, Leonard can be in our living room again if we so wish.

He deserves some Leonard time now.
You are EXTREMELY lucky! But I agree Leonard deserves some of his own time now but then again he seems to really enjoy performing so we never know....
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I heard him in an interview once saying that he'd like to hear himself singing when he is in his eighties. But of course you are right. He deserves a rest. However, if he does come back to these shores with a new CD to promote, I know one person who will be trying to get tickets.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

...............and of course I will be right behind you.

I just wish him well.
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

Albert and IrishMar thank you so much for the really wonderful videos. Superb!

Don't know if anyone else heard the lovely story on RTE radio 1 today about 12:15. A young couple staying in the Gresham Hotel (Dublin) got in the hotel lift and found they were sharing the lift with Leonard. They told him that they were fans and that they were going to his concert that night. They also told him that they were to be married shortly and that they had chosen 'Dance me to the end of love' for their first dance. They went off to the concert and had a great time and when they arrived back to the lobby of the hotel there was a man waiting for them who said ' could you follow me please'. They were then brought to Leonard's after concert drinks party, at Leonard's request. I believe the happy, lucky couple married today. Isn't that just soooo nice??

Cliona
Joan

Post by Joan »

Sorry I've taken so long to upload this.
It's my video of 'So Long Marianne' - recorded in Dublin on Wed July 22nd.
It shows the wonderful interaction, admiration, love and respect between Leonard and the audience.
A truly memorable night and I'm so glad I'll always have this to treasure.
Kind Regards, Joan.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/cu ... nneDub.flv
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Your video really cheered me up Joan... He really looks happy! Thanks a million for sharing it
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks so much, Joan, for sharing this wonderful treasure of yours! Watching it makes my heart burst with happiness!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

He is so totally enjoying the audience participation!!!!! All those smiles in just one song! - Fantastic!! Thanks Joan!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”