CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
JudasPriest

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by JudasPriest »

I've got so used to Bob not speaking that it doesn't bother me at all. And when he does mumble a few words it makes it all the more special. While loving len, I would say that the greatest impact is when I first heard them or when he (alas all too occasionally) says something not scripted. It still has charm on repeat but the law of diminishing returns inevitably kicks in somewhat. I'm glad he had reigned in the band intros on almost every song and has lessened the chit chat in fact. With great artists like Leonard and Bob, the music can speak for itself
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Bird off the Wire wrote:Excellent review, Musicmania. I hope you won't find it churlish if I make one correction. The song which Sharon sung solo was Boogie Street, not Everybody Knows - though you're right, she did co-write that song.
Not churlish at all. I confess I was a little confused here as I was convinced I heard Everybody Knows. I think I just listened to too much Leonard before & after the gig LOL & my brain got muddled :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

JudasPriest wrote:Well....as much as I loved the Leonard shows, I felt Bob's in the O2 were superior

:shock: ......*rubs eyes*......really? no offense but im stunned anyone could think that,i was there for Bobs first night and as much as i enjoyed it,as a performance it wasnt even average,he seemed to put some effort into some songs but mostly it was your usual couldnt give a shit,mumbling,growling,boring Bob,i dont mind his not talking to the audience thing(or even acknowledging that there is an audience until the end)but to say he was better than Leonard is absolutley ridiculous,and i say that as someone who worships Bob(but calls a spade a spade).......his constantly changing setlists is great but whats the point if he just does a half assed(if your lucky)performance of the songs he didnt do last time you saw him? id rather have Leonard do a perfect version of the same songs every time than see Bob murdering whatever song song popped into his head during the gig,ive seen him make a mess of songs that are over 40 years old and that hes played 100's of times,he forgets entire verses and repeats others back to back!

I didnt mean to go on so long im just amazed........Bob is a genius but even the dog on the street knows hes awful live more often than not,only time i saw him and he was genuinely good(not just good for Bob but actually good)was in Dublin 05,he actually sang then......everyones entitled to their opinion of course but i havent been so surprised by one in a long time
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Bob Dylan should have retired gracefully ten years ago. Leonard is just getting into his stride and will be even better next year.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Bob's second 05 gig in The Point was truly incredible (Just 2 repeats from the excellent gig the night before too). While the 09 gigs weren't quite in that league, they still kicked ass. I've seen all Bob's Irish gigs this century and the 09 ones delivered in my view (unlike for example Galway 04). An absolute pleasure to have been there. I prefered them to Leonard's shows and can't apologise for that I'm afraid. I'm just glad that Len is even nearly as good. Very few others are. I've decided to take the plunge and see Len one more time in Granada. Anyone know anything about that venue?
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

JudasPriest wrote: I prefered them to Leonard's shows and can't apologise for that I'm afraid.

Of course,as i said im just surprised but fair enough.....on those 05 shows,i still listen to the boots quite regularly,its one of the very best "Shelter From The Storm"s ive heard and the second nights "High Water" is the definitive version imo.....
paulbond66

Post by paulbond66 »

OK LETS GET REAL FIRST I HAVE ADORED LC FOR AT LEAST A HUNDRED YEARS NEXT THE O2 OF 2009 IS NOT THE DUBLIN OUTDOOR OF 2008 THE CONCERTS DONT EVEN COME CLOSE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME COHEN AFTER THE RAIN ON THE SUNDAY NIGHT 2008 WAS VERY SPECIAL PEOPLE WHERE CRYING WITH TEARS OF JOY AFTER SO LONG MARIANNE NEXT LC MUSIC COME OUT OF THE PASSION OF LIFE HIS FIRST THREE ALBUMS WHERE THE BEST THATS JUST A FACT HALLIUGH APPEARED ON VARIOUS POSTIONS IT SOLD NIL SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE WAS COHENS SEARGENT PEPPER NOW YOU CAN IF YOU LIKE BLINDLY PRAISE THE CIRCUS BUT I FOR ONE WOULD HAVE GIVEN ANYTHING TO HAVE SEEN COHEN IN 1973 BEFORM FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT THAN PEOPLE SINGING ALONG TO IM YOUR MAN. YOU HAVE TO REMBER HE IS A POET THE SONGS CAME FROM THE DESIRE OF LIFE AND IF YOU WANT TO RESELL THAT WITH POPCORN IN THE O2 THATS GREAT BUT PLEASE DONT TELL ME ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD IT IS WHAT IT IS A CHANCE TO SEE A GENIUS A LEGEND AND I LOVE HIM DEARLY BUT AND ITS BIG BUT LETS KEEP IT REAL LOTS OF LOVE PAUL

@ Paul: Can you please write in normal letters instead of capitals? You seem to be screaming here... Also: some punctuations would help to read your posts more easily! Apart from that: I enjoyed reading it (although it took me a while :-))
*** Maarten *** (moderator)
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I'd have the 08 Dublin Len shows above the 09 ones too but a lot of that is down to atmosphere and the fact in 08, we hadn't seen him in 20 years! Although I would say his vocal in Kilmainham had more strength and range to it. That said, Leonard can whisper (as he did for much of Sunday's show with his cold still present) and it is still powerful.

(P.S. Agree fully that High Water was superb in Dublin 05. Senor also blew me away and Visions of Johanna was very special indeed. Shelter on the first night was great (slight lyric flub aside) and Cold Irons Bound rocked pretty hard...This time round it was Ain't Talkin' that stuck in the memory most on the first night while on the second, Long Black Coat, Blind Willie McTell, Des Row, It's Alright Ma and Ballad of a Thin Man all wowed me)
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

paulbond66 wrote:OK LETS GET REAL FIRST I HAVE ADORED LC FOR AT LEAST A HUNDRED YEARS NEXT THE O2 OF 2009 IS NOT THE DUBLIN OUTDOOR OF 2008 THE CONCERTS DONT EVEN COME CLOSE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME COHEN AFTER THE RAIN ON THE SUNDAY NIGHT 2008 WAS VERY SPECIAL PEOPLE WHERE CRYING WITH TEARS OF JOY AFTER SO LONG MARIANNE NEXT LC MUSIC COME OUT OF THE PASSION OF LIFE HIS FIRST THREE ALBUMS WHERE THE BEST THATS JUST A FACT HALLIUGH APPEARED ON VARIOUS POSTIONS IT SOLD NIL SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE WAS COHENS SEARGENT PEPPER NOW YOU CAN IF YOU LIKE BLINDLY PRAISE THE CIRCUS BUT I FOR ONE WOULD HAVE GIVEN ANYTHING TO HAVE SEEN COHEN IN 1973 BEFORM FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT THAN PEOPLE SINGING ALONG TO IM YOUR MAN. YOU HAVE TO REMBER HE IS A POET THE SONGS CAME FROM THE DESIRE OF LIFE AND IF YOU WANT TO RESELL THAT WITH POPCORN IN THE O2 THATS GREAT BUT PLEASE DONT TELL ME ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD IT IS WHAT IT IS A CHANCE TO SEE A GENIUS A LEGEND AND I LOVE HIM DEARLY BUT AND ITS BIG BUT LETS KEEP IT REAL LOTS OF LOVE PAUL

That looks like it was written by a serial killer or something.....from what i could make out of it,you think we're all fooling ourselves and wish it was still 1970-whatever......i love songs from throughout his career,is he as good now as he was back in the day? i saw him for the first time ever last year so i wouldnt know,if i saw him in 1973 i wouldnt have heard any of the great stuff released later on so im fine with the 2008/09 version,he has more confidence now than ive ever heard from him before(through live recordings only but still)......anyway,whats wrong with seeing him with popcorn? what did people eat at a 1973 show? bread and butter sandwichs to keep it real was it? this tour has been the best recieved tour ive seen from fans and critics alike,if you dont like it theres a DVD of Leonard live from the Isle Of Wight festival 1970 on the way,loads of people who hadnt showered in days in it and largely popcorn free,you can keep it real as much you like at home
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

JudasPriest wrote:I'd have the 08 Dublin Len shows above the 09 ones too but a lot of that is down to atmosphere and the fact in 08, we hadn't seen him in 20 years!

Thats about the size of it,i actually thought everything about this year was better(setlist in particular)but i still enjoyed last year more,the atmosphere was incredible and not something that be can repeated.......im looking forward to the reaction of Belfast tommorow,i read awhile ago that its his first gig there!! im sure most of the audience have seen him at this stage but it should still be something special
Lonesome Pine

Post by Lonesome Pine »

And finally, finally, on Thursday a lady tossed what appeared to be a posy of flowers onto the stage as one song finished and the lights were fading. Leonard picked it up and placed on the stand in front of the drums.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

table top joe wrote: what did people eat at a 1973 show?
I don't think there was a lot of popcorn at ANY concerts in 1973! :D ;-) :D
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

I am writing this before the posts of the Belfast concert start rolling in - a few hours from now.

We Irish are so lucky and fortunate to have Leonard perform in our tiny country for 5 nights this week and 3 nights last year. I was at the concerts last Sunday and again on Thursday. Amongst the many highlights including getting the setlist and meeting Sharon and Rafael after Thursday's show - was Leonard's thank you to his Irish audience for keeping his songs alive for the past 40 years. (This really pleased my mother who was babysitting while I adored at the altar of Leonard - it was she who reared me on him along with the McGarrigle sisters. Dory Previn, The Dubliners etc.). The concerts this year were superb, but I agree with the people who say that the experiences in Kilmainham last year will never be repeated.

These concerts were magical - there was a real spiritual and emotional connection between Leonard and the audiences on both nights I was there (Saturday and Sunday). For many of us it was the first time we saw him in concert and we believed at the time it would probably be the last (thankfully that was not the case). Dublin was also the first leg of his European tour and he chatted a lot during both concerts - this is not sustainable for his voice on a world tour - so we were privileged to have been part of a unforgettable experience. To re-live the experience I urge you to read Bocktherobber's review - a mini work of art in its own right -http://bocktherobber.com/2008/06/leonar ... -in-dublin.

I would love to be in Belfast tonight and look forward to reading all the posts.

Real life will re-commence after Barcelona.

Go n'eiri an bothar leat Leonard.

In song. Paula :lol:
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I would love to be in Belfast too.... He will be on stage as I type this...
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

You know, I think I know where paulbond's screaming comes from.
Sometimes the posts get so far up their own adulative (there should be such a word :lol: ) ass that you have to scream to get an echo and LC would be turning in his grave (if he were dead and if, having departed, he could still read) if he read them: :?
Yes, just reread that - it does make sense :neutral:

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”