CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tinderella

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by tinderella »

Albert... your videos are truly the best. Thanks a million for sharing. They will keep the memories alive for a long time.

'I did not come all this way to the great city of Dublin' :)
All the best
Tindy
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Brilliant videos Albert, loving them!
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Japers Al you're almost a pro camera man. Great stuff! Only thing though is you have the date wrong on them it was the 23rd wasn't it?

I thought he'd at least change the words of FWTM from Berlin to Dub-lin though...! :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Marie, absolutely brilliant video of 'Lullaby'. Well done.
Thanks
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

bluebell wrote: Link to blessings from Monday night, sorry it's sideways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiGonyNbU-A
Thank you, bluebell. It is always a thrill to hear his Golden Voice from any aspect.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
wafflewaitress

Post by wafflewaitress »

Well, like has been said already, I don't know what I can really add here. I was at the Wednesday gig and it was my first time seeing LC in concert. It was like a religous experience, it really was. And that probably sounds naff but I'm not a naff person I swear (ask Tinders..) but I've been to so many concerts and this was the most amazing show I've ever seen. I'm not a dramatic groupie type or anything, so if anyone had said to me that I'd be crying just listening to Suzanne I'd have told them they'd sooner see me wave a lighter in the air.. But I felt genuinely moved. And not just by LC, but by the whole experience, all the players together-what a beautiful ensemble. From the serene harmonies and the wizard musicians to the rich background and vibrant colours, it was a big pot of wonderful all swirled up into a perfect potion. I could've listened all night.

Thanks for all the youtubes etc, it's great to see it all again. And yes we did all sound so pretty as he said! :)
And kudos to the brave lady who made her way to the stage and was serenaded, if only momentarily, by LC himself..quite a memory to have.
May just quit life itself here and follow him around on tour. A great night every night eh?..not too shabby for the wafflewaitress I tell ye..
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

IrishAL wrote:Two of my favourites from last night's concert:

First we take Manhattan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XcrmOjo ... re=channel

and a special Hallelujah for the Dublin audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLiVE1vK ... re=channel

albert
Wow, IrishAl - you have posted great stuff here in the past, but your "Hallelujah"-video must be one of the greatest LC concert recordings I have watched so far. The sheer intensity of the performance is absolutely breathtaking, and you have caught it so very well... Thank you so much for recording and sharing this!!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

Excellent review, Musicmania. I hope you won't find it churlish if I make one correction. The song which Sharon sung solo was Boogie Street, not Everybody Knows - though you're right, she did co-write that song.
Studio54

Post by Studio54 »

IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

burningviolin wrote:Japers Al you're almost a pro camera man. Great stuff! Only thing though is you have the date wrong on them it was the 23rd wasn't it?

I thought he'd at least change the words of FWTM from Berlin to Dub-lin though...! :D
Thank you Burningviolin, for pointing that out. It was well after midnight when i downloaded them and my mind had moved on a day .!

Deligheted you enjoy the videos. I try to represent the quality of the experience as best i can.

Having been to a few performances I am blown away by the overall production of the show. It is very finely honed and tuned show. The sound is warm and envelopes us, The lighting supports the performers perfectly rather than trying to put on a parrallel show of its own. The shows' pace and atmosphere is carefully coreographed and built up in almost imperceptable layers until we have a full blown creschendo of excitement at Closing time . And, like any good host, we are calmed down and cuddled with kind words and blessings before we are left to go home with our cherished memories.

In these shows there are no gimmicks, pyrotechnics,or moving platforms. It is the audience's hearts that are moved and the only fireworks are ones going off in our minds as each heart seeking pulsating moment of the show is aimed and projected into the auditorium.

This band is supremely good and they know it. Their self confidence is only outweighed by the very apparent mutual respect and strong bond that ties them together. Individually they excell at what they do, and in this case the resulting musical performance is definately far greater than the sum of the parts. Of course, they are working with the very best and they know that too. They are there to support Leonard and they are masters at getting the balance right. Every time, Leonard steps back from the limelight to let them have their personal musical moments , they always finish up by redirecting our focus and attention back to the Captain as we sail on.

These concerts are like the very best wines and they will stand up to in depth analysis and scrutiny. But the proof as always is in the drinking and I am looking forward to the next venue when I can savour some more "Chateau Cohen ".

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Albert,

thanks again; to my mind, you sum up the gist of it all perfectly - yes, that is precisely the appeal of the concerts, and it shows in your videos as well! For example, that specific instant in "Hallelujah" when Neil Larson has his solo, the way Leonard takes off his hat and steps back and just enjoys the moment - perfect, and, as I have said before, captured perfectly!
And will you believe me that when you say: "These concerts are like the very best wines" that I have had almost exactly the same thought about half an hour ago, not least of all inspired by your video?!
I really look forward to meeting you and IrishMar in Barcelona, where we are also going to share another magical concert night... :razz:
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

JudasPriest wrote: But Bob gave no less than 12 different songs on the second night. That's one aspect that Len just can't compete with. In fact, I saw Bob 6 times in Late April and May and he played a total of 53 different songs over the course of those 6 gigs.
That is definitely a positive aspect to Bob's concerts.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

No disrespect to Bob, but I've been to a few of his concerts. These songs are part of his arsenal and he knows them inside out. He may vary the songs, but generally his attitude towards his audience and fans is abysmal. Many times he doesn't even recognize his band members. No words to his fans. He sometimes just leaves the stage...that's it. Guess the music must be enough. This, as we all know, is so very different with Leonard. In my estimation, as much as I do like many of Dylan's songs, Leonard is still the Master...humble, generous, and so very appreciative of those who come to see him. They are in different genres when it comes to lyrics.....Dylan's are many times current and relevant.....Leonard's are eternal.

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Albert and Marie..

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Because of other needs I've been off certain areas of the Forum for a couple of days but I've been trying to follow the entire Dublin event as I know what Dublin audiences are like! You guys are fabulous!! How I wish I could have been there too. Your videos are excellent. In fact, above excellent. I still have chills running through my spine after watching "Hallelujah" and "Marianne"....and "Lullaby"....oh my heavens.

I can only hope that when Leonard and all his exquiste gathering return to America that we can give him some of the same. Especially in San Jose! OMG...how I want that to be the send-off of a lifetime! Perhaps we need some Dubliners to attend! ;-)

Thanks again to Albert and Marie and burningviolin and all who contributed! I am smiling! :D

Many blessings,
Diana
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

Excellent videos Albert, really enjoying them especially So Long Marianne and A Thousand Kisses Deep.
Dublin 1988, 2008,2009, Belfast 2009, Bratislava 2009, Gent 2010, Dublin 2012

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”