CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
JudasPriest

CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by JudasPriest »

Good show with some great moments but his vocal was not strong compared to last week let alone last year. I think the cold is present and he was minding his voice. His brilliant band kept him from getting into trouble. Block G definitelly not the best place to watch. Block D tomorrow should be way better. And the video feed was a fraction of a second behind real time which was very distracting. But overall, despite my moans....excellent
amcgee

Re: Dublin preconcert meetups

Post by amcgee »

Hi
I was at it last night and am still on a high after it, brilliant concert, as good as Kilmainham, and probably better, mostly because i had such a good seat and i could actually see him as as in kilmainham i was so far away from him i didn't see him at all.
I was really happy that he played so long mariane and famous blue raincoat. That means i got to he the full lot although i would like to get to hear avalenche and a lot more.
I don't think i will ever see such a hugh crowd at a gig in the o2, it was full , not an empty seat in the house. Not bad for a 75 year old
I would have to agree that his voice was not the best, but it still was great, he did try a save his voice from unnecessary strain, but he was still amazing.
Would love to go to see him again, but i think i better save the money for a holiday.

amcgee
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Dublin , July 19th Concert.
The video link-up delay spoiled an otherwise great concert for many.
We were seated in Section A , so the video was the only visual we had of the stage.
( we were seated behind Sharon and the Webb sisters !)
It made it look as if Leonard was miming to a backtrack recording.
Everyone we met during the break and after the concert were disappointed, nothing
to do with Leonard who was nearly as good as his Kilmainham performance of last year.
The 02 should apoligse to Leonard and his Band and to the thousands of fans
who have come to expect better.
I hope the 02 administraters have corrected this problem before tonight's concert.
Leonard should refuse to perform tonight unless this problem is sorted out.
I intend to make a formal protest to the 02 management.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

I have to agree, the video was well out of sink, but luckily for me, i was close enough to the stage that i didn't need to use them, but i would imagine for people far away from the stage that it was rather frustrating,
its a pity because it was a great concert
amcgee
kieron

Post by kieron »

A wonderful magical night.
Better than all thre Kilmainham gigs put together.
A happy skipping and dancing Leonard serenading us for three hours.
Partisan was brilliant. Much better than Avalanche could have been.
Famous Blue Raincoat was one of many highlights. Jesus, the hairs stood on my neck.
Bird had tears in my eyes and Everybody Knows and Anthem could have been written last week for Ireland and its miserable state.
Thank you Leonard and band.
I only wish I could go again.
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
Aido

Post by Aido »

Hi Red Poppy,
I'm sorry you didn't have a ticket for last night. He was fantastic as always. The others are right that he was minding his voice and that the delay on the visual feed must have been annoying for those further back but our tickets in G were great. I could see the whites of his eyes!! Roll on tonight! Angela, one of my friends shouted up to him "I still love you" to which he made her night by replying "I love you too!" She'll dine out on that for a while!! :D
Kilmainham 2008 (1st night!), O2 London 2008, O2 Dublin 2009, Lissadell 2010, Kilmainham 2012 (2 nights).
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

Hi all
I loved it, the atmosphere indoors is different to an outside gig but very special all the same. he rightly saved his voice and then could keep going to the end.
The highlight for me was Recitation , a thousand kisses deep. But I thought there were a few extra new lines at the end ? Am I right ... maybe someone can help confirm??
We had great seats straight in front of him thanks to the presale !
Fabulous
To those going later enjoy!!!
tinderella

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by tinderella »

Yes, every LC concert is special in its own way. I was in the fourth row in front of stage so it was perfect for me. I did not have to look at the screen but I did once or twice and yes the synch was way off, which was horrible for anyone far from the stage.
He seemed a bit more fragile than last year but I am not surprised after such a gruelling tour. He really has given his all to us. HIs band are still incredible to watch and listen to and seem to be so fresh like they are playing it all for the first time.

I managed to get the set list from the stage... and I see some extra songs on the side for Dublin including Avalanche.... so hopefully he sings that when i go back to see him on thursday night.

I loved his hotel mirror story :) .......... Wonder what hotel mirror he is looking into today :) ?

He is just a beautiful human being.

Long live Leonard Cohen.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Oops... almost forgot! Just want to say it was brilliant to meet everyone at Jurys. Lovely meeting Helen, Sheila , Paula, Joe, Marie and Albert and of course Deirdre... who ended up sitting with me in the fourth row..

Roll on Barcelona!
mimzo13

Post by mimzo13 »

Just to say Mr. LC and band certainly put in quite the performance. Having been to Kilmainham and London I feel he is definitely getting a bit frail and his voice was a little tired but he is still remarkable for his age. I was in the very front row Flat A 38/39 and could have almost touched him which was special (and I got a play list :-) ). It was a real shame that the delay on the TV link was so out of sync. It didn't really matter for me but I think it certainly must have detracted for others. Famous Blue Raincoat was my favourite along with the spine tingling Thousand Kisses. Leonard 'tried to leave us' a couple of times but danced back to our absolute delight for a couple of encores. He wished that 'if we fall, we fall on the side of luck' and wished us blessings. What a wonderful poet, songsmith and charasmatic human being. The legend lives on. Enjoy the gigs everyone. O2, get your technical issues sorted out.
Morrissey

Post by Morrissey »

What time did Leonard come on at? Going tonight and I just need to figure out what time I should leave at :D
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

He skips onto the stage at exactly 8pm
OllyMcGrath

Post by OllyMcGrath »

If its possible could someone please list the set he played last night ? :?: :?
OllyMcGrath

Post by OllyMcGrath »

Hi Found it on the setlist area. Thanks.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

You're welcome :)

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”