CONCERT REPORT: Liverpool, July 14

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Robin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Liverpool, July 14

Post by Robin »

The NME setlist is wrong. It omits Heart With No Companion which preceded Waiting For The Miracle. My sixth show of the 2008/2009 tours and the first time I had caught these two songs - Miracle was especially nice to hear. The only songs in the repertoire I have now not seen live are Avalanche and Lullaby.

Leonard was in very fine voice, but this was a good show rather than a great one. A Thousand kisses Deep is a major omission. I also thought it was a slightly different arrangement for Boogie Street to last autumn. Leonard now sings backup to Sharon.

Why does Leonard not encourage the audience to participate in Hallelujah and Marianne? Perhaps he only does that in open air shows.

We got the shaving mirror story again in Liverpool, though this time the warning not to look inside was offered for anyone "over eleven."

My first time at the Echo Arena. I thought it a better venue than most other UK arenas. The sound was excellent.
Lindaj

Post by Lindaj »

Please expand on this story, I've not heard it.

Robin wrote:We got the shaving mirror story again in Liverpool, though this time the warning not to look inside was offered for anyone "over eleven."
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Did nobody take any pictures or post any film clips of the Liverpool show on Youtube? I have been watching out for them all day and none have appeared.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Robin wrote:...
Why does Leonard not encourage the audience to participate in Hallelujah and Marianne? Perhaps he only does that in open air shows.

We got the shaving mirror story again in Liverpool, though this time the warning not to look inside was offered for anyone "over eleven."
Don't think he does encourage the audience - they just start themselves.

What's that story?
Paula

Post by Paula »

Linda J the shaving mirror story.

He said something along the lines that as he has got older people expect his to impart words of wisdom and he had this to say and it was a very important thing to say . You know hotels have those mirror which magnify your features with the big neon lights above them do not go near them, don't look at them no one over the age of 11 should look into them.

And I think that is a pearl of wisdom we should all adhere to :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
margaret

Post by margaret »

There is a nice colour photo of Leonard on the front page of today's Liverpool Daily Post, and another black and white one inside with a review. Sorry, but the photos don't show up online!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -24156215/

Did anyone else notice that he seemed to get lost during Hallelujah? The band improvised until a suitable time arose, while he paced about a little, before coming back in again.

Thanks to Dave for organising the pub meet-up and the refreshments :D It really wasn't such a long walk as I had expected to get to the Arena. It's many years since I lived in Liverpool, and so many changes around the city, I would have got lost or taken a much longer route without the local knowledge of Dave and Liverpoolken to guide us!

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
j9sunny

Post by j9sunny »

Hello all,
I'd just like to add my comments about last night's show. Firstly, I saw LC three times last year - Bournemouth, Birmingham and the final concert in Manchester. Secondly, I was with a friend who can properly be described as a Cohen afficianado, going back to the Isle of Wight!
And we both agreed that there was something very, very special about last night which transcended previous concerts. Yes, the chat has gone. But the music is so slick, the lighting seemed very different, LC played the guitar much more, and there were some clearly hidden jokes judging by the some of the mischievous smiles.
The trilby has been swapped for a pork pie hat which is still held very deferentially whenever anyone else takes centre stage.
Personally, I was delighted to hear Heart with no Companion, Closing Time and Sisters of Mercy. If only LC would sing Ballad of the Absent Mare!
I agree that the great man is looking a little worn out - quite frankly I'm exhausted just thinking about his itinerary! I hope he's not overdoing it. But thanks for last night.
John J

Post by John J »

The Review of the concert appeared on Page 3 in tonight's Liverpool Echo (normally tucked somewhere in the middle by the what's on pages,
the reviewer gave it a commendable 9/10 .

For us this was a great concert played by a band at the very top of their game,and despite being on the road for 15 months,looking tired,
and having a summer cold Leonard still sounded great.The quality of the sound in the Arena was superb throughout,a big hand for the whole crew involved.
I've seen several dates on this tour and for me this compared with all of them,maybe not the same anticipation as the first, but for us still a great concert,
and I'm sure the majority of the 11,000 or so fans in the arena who were seeing this tour for the 1st time thought so too.
Music doesn't get much better than this.
Last edited by John J on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

At Weybridge, several times Leonard came right up to the edge of the stage (to roars of approval from the audience) where there was no protection from the rain at all. It was almost as if he was offering to share our physical discomfort with us. I hope that is not how he got his cold.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
daveharry

Post by daveharry »

I left the arena with a slightly heavy heart last night. Of course I was bowled over by another moving, momentous offering from the great man. But was I alone in thinking this would be the last time we will see him perform on these shores?

Part of me wants to think 'no'. I have seen him six times in all going back to the Isle of Wight festival and each time he has just blown my socks off and left me wanting to see him over and over again.

But let's not forget he is 74 and touring on this scale is an exhausting process. Hopefully the concerts have helped him to resolve his finciancial difficulties. So should we not now let him take a backward step, rest his voice and maybe bring out the occasional studio album?

I will forever cherish the memories of seeing LC live. I prefer not to think of them as concerts but spritual gatherings.

If it was the last time Leonard, thanks for the trouble you took from our eyes. And the pleasure you brought to our lives.

You have truly worked for our smiles. We love you for that.

Whatever you chose now, we will bow to your will.
And draw us near
And bind us tight
All your children here
In their rags of light
In our rags of light
All dressed to kill
And end this night
If it be your will

Sincerely,

A Friend.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Shucks, I was going to offer.

imyourwoman wrote:If he wants a doctor, I'll examine every precious inch of him.

:lol:
Mumlee

Post by Mumlee »

I have joined the list so that I can tell everyone how much we enjoyed the concert last night, it is the best I have been to. I felt that the arena was a good venue, Leonard and the musicians were excellent and the other people attending the concert were considerate and friendly. My husband needs an urgent hip replacement, but said he couldn't have it done until after this concert and, despite the pain, he doesn't regret his choice.
There are not many times I feel like crying, but seeing Leonard come onto the stage at the start of the concert that was how I felt. The last time I saw him was in the mid seventies at Southport and he walked off stage part way through, after a while he returned and continued.
Thanks to all for an excellent evening.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

After Weybridge on Saturday, I had to see him again...and he and the band did not disappoint.

Did anyone else noticed what appeared to be a bit of 'teasing' going on at the beginning of the second half? Leonard picked up his acoustic and tantalised us with the riff of You Know Who I Am, before going into what I was convinced was the intro to Avalanche....which then morphed into Suzanne. Is there such a state of mind as being 'almost disappointed'? :)

Must admit, it's a shame he seems to have dropped Chelsea Hotel, a bit of a favourite with me.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

What a wonderful show it was last night! Despite Leonard and the band being on the road for over a year they still seem to be enjoying it. I can't add much more to what has already been said, except that I was very pleased to hear The Partisan again. I loved it towards the end, when Leonard was doing the 2nd round of band introductions and Rafael Gayol blew a kiss to the audience via the screens.

We'd booked into the Premier Inn, which was literally just across the road from the Echo Arena. It was brilliant to come out of our hotel and see the venue in front of us.

I have seen Leonard four times since June 2008 - Manchester Opera House, O2 Arena (July 2008), CIA Cardiff and now Liverpool. Of all those four for me the most special is still Manchester, as despite being a fan since the 70s, it was the very first time I saw Leonard in concert.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Parsifal wrote:After Weybridge on Saturday, I had to see him again...and he and the band did not disappoint.

Did anyone else noticed what appeared to be a bit of 'teasing' going on at the beginning of the second half? Leonard picked up his acoustic and tantalised us with the riff of You Know Who I Am, before going into what I was convinced was the intro to Avalanche....which then morphed into Suzanne. Is there such a state of mind as being 'almost disappointed'? :)

[...].
Yes, he DEFINITELY did that in Cologne, too - and in Berlin, according to a friend who was also desperately hoping for "Avalanche" - which wasn't played that night, but my friend was fooled into thinking it was going to be several times! :)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”