CONCERT REPORT: Liverpool, July 14

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lrkn

Re: Liverpool Echo Arena - Tuesday 14 July

Post by lrkn »

Just got back, it was absolutely incredible. Gutted he didn't do my favourite Cohen song, Chelsea Hotel #2, but hopefully I'll get another chance to see him again and he might do it that time.

I come at you all with a question though, do any of you know how I might get one of the posters they were selling? I didn't have enough money with me at the time and I'd love to be able to get one. Mr Cohen should open a store on his website, if I have not missed it. It'd really be useful, I'm happy to finally have a Cohen t-shirt that people can admire me in.

(To the twenty or so fellow 'under-the-age-of-20'ers I saw tonight, keep the faith.)
vaughan

Post by vaughan »

It was good, wasn't it.

:D :lol: :razz:
Vaughan

Dublin June 15 | Manc'r June 19 & 20 | Ed'bro July 16 | Cardiff Nov 8 | B'ham Nov 22 | Manc'r Nov 30 | Boston May 29 | Wetbridge July 11 | Liverpool July 14 | Barcelona Sep 21 | 2010 Marseille Sep 21 | ????
slapperoonie

Post by slapperoonie »

I'm speechless. Must be one of the best concerts I've ever been to, by anyone... ever ever ever... 8)
Liverpool 2009 / Manchester 2013
daveeliver

CONCERT REPORT: Liverpool, July 14

Post by daveeliver »

Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
phillip

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Liverpool, July 14

Post by phillip »

Well folks I am left speechless what can I say that was incredible this is my 4th time seeing Leonard cohen and although all 4 times were great last night was something special I do not know what it was but there was something in the air! I think maybe a few factors that made it really special for me was

1. I was in Liverpool which is right on my doorstep
2. All my family are from Liverpool
3. This could be the last time I see Leonard in concert unless he comes back to our shores!
4. the audience was very warm and receptive not that they weren't at other shows but the do say that Liverpool audiences are a good crowd and
5. My father who is not a fan did enjoy the show!

My mother, aunt and uncle who are fans really enjoyed themselves too and we all loved every minute of it, it is hard for me to choose which songs I liked best as I love them all having been a huge fan of Leonard for 21 years and having all his albums, books etc... it was good to hear 'Heart with no companion', Waiting for the Miracle' (I do not think he sang these two at Manchester or Birmingham) certainly not 'Heart with no companion' anyway! I am still lost for words but what a great night, towards the end Leonard seemed to blow his nose, lets hope he isn't getting a summer cold! As for the rest of the band impeccable, Magnificant, superb, if this is the last time I see Leonard in concert thank you Leonard for a great night I won't forget it. :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Phillip,

Thank you for the review. It's so nice to hear that your father enjoyed the concert also. Maybe now he can understand your addiction to LC. I do hope LC is not catching a cold - the thought is disturbing!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
phillip

Post by phillip »

Hi Mary

well i guess my Father won't be as big a fan as me he said he enjoyed it but I'm a hard core fan, got every book, album LC has ever done! Hope he isn't getting a cold either he sounded ok but he did blow his nose and wipe his face over, once but then it was a very warm night! what country are you in Mary? just curious to know where you have seen him? I have only ever seen him in UK England, 4 times now my first in 1993, twice last year and last night and what a night it was:)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

This was a great show and I really enjoyed it. People were ostensibly much more "restrained" that at Wetbridge - nobody tried to rush the front for the encores, few tried to come forward to take photos and there were relatively few standing ovations - but you could feel the warmth and love in the atmosphere and the band seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Lots of smiles and exchanges between them throughout the show.

There were a couple of changes to the set list from Wetbridge: Waiting for the Miracle followed Heart with No Companion and there was no Whither tho' Goest so Arlene - there were no blessings. As a result, this was probably the shortest non-festival show since the early days of last May-June. I suspect the venue had an inflexible curfew rule - Leonard made a comment at the start of the second set about having to finish on time so that people could catch their trains.

Our man seemed in good voice but he also seemed to have caught one of those "summer colds" he warns us about so often so I wondered if he was struggling a little.

It was wonderful to meet so many people and finally put names to faces: Pete, Margaret, the Davidos, the mydoglorcas etc. J & J - I hope you weren't too late back. We got home to N Warwickshire around 1.00 am but I know you had much further to go than us. And Kate - if you're visiting here - it was good to see you again and sorry we rushed off ....

Must dash - down to Canterbury for our son's graduation ceremony today then we're off on holiday. It's all go ...

Wendy
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Yawn, Yawn - didn't get back until 3.30 & the male J is just off to work!

We noticed the face & nose wiping too & I also thought I saw him briefly turn his back & possibly spray his throat? :?: Anyway he looked well & his voice sounded great.

It was good to put a names to a few faces - Wendy, Pete, Davido & son - again. Sorry to Davee that we didn't quite make the pub & thanks to Jarkko for the wonderful tickets in row 6.

Although it has happened before, I did miss going home without my blessings!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
vaughan

Post by vaughan »

I actually saw and heard the poor tyke sniff during one part of his performance - it was amplified throughout but I - as an official despiser of sniffing - really noticed it. Then, in the second part, he definitely moved the mic away in a hurry and sneezed into the sleeve of his jacket (which my young says tells me is how they're taught to do it at school nowadays).

So - he definitely seems to have a bit of a sniffle - lets hope it was just an allergic reaction to the Everton fans there ;-)

Still awesome, although I have to say the wet outdoor shows (Dublin 2008, Wetbridge 2009) still set the benchmark for me
Last edited by vaughan on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaughan

Dublin June 15 | Manc'r June 19 & 20 | Ed'bro July 16 | Cardiff Nov 8 | B'ham Nov 22 | Manc'r Nov 30 | Boston May 29 | Wetbridge July 11 | Liverpool July 14 | Barcelona Sep 21 | 2010 Marseille Sep 21 | ????
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Vaughan wrote:
Still awesome, although I have to say the wet outdoor shows (Dublin 2008, Wetbridge 2009) still set the benchmark for me
I actually the poor tyke sniff during one part of his performance - it was amplified throughout but I - as an official despiser of sniffing - really noticed it. Then, in the second part, he definitely moved the mic away in a hurry and sneezed into the sleeve of his jacket (which my young says tells me is how they're taught to do it at school nowadays).

So - he definitely seems to have a bit of a sniffle - lets hope it was just an allergic reaction to the Everton fans there ;-)

Yes, I have to agree- I much preferred Saturday too. Hope Leonard didn't catch a chill there though.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

At Weybridge Leonard got a pretty thorough soaking, we were able to wear waterproofs but Leonard was in a suit which didn't give him protection. Also, in the crowd we were fairly sheltered by each other from the worst of the wind, on stage they had no such shelter as is obvious by the way the backdrop curtains were blowing around, so it must have been chilling.

I have thought about it over the last couple of days and hoped that his time on Mounty Baldy had prepared Leonard for the English summer weather where we regularly sample all the seasons in one day. He is going to Ireland now but I think all his shows are indoors and for this he can be thankful as the Irish weather is even worse than ours. A racehorse trainer friend once said that in Ireland if you can see the horses' ears (above the mud) the Irish consider the going is 'good'.

Poor Leonard, I hope he fully recovers quickly. He and the band gave us a supreme evening at Wetbridge, sorry that it would appear to be at some cost to himself. If he is looking for a nightnurse, he could just put a note on the Forum.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

He is going to Norway before Ireland though. They are festivals, could they be outdoors too?

I'm at the front of the queue to take care of him!!!! ;-)
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman »

If he wants a doctor, I'll examine every precious inch of him.

:lol:
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Mydoglorca, you are right, I should have checked first, they do seem to be outdoor festivals. Hope he feels better in a couple of days.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”