CONCERT REPORT: Toulouse, July 9

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mabeanie1

CONCERT REPORT: Toulouse, July 9

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Was anybody there? Was Avalanche still in the set? Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Wendy
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Toulouse, July 9

Post by bridger15 »

Publié le 10/07/2009 08:51 | Benoît Fernandes
L'irrésistible Leonard Cohen

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2009/07 ... Cohen.html

DDMShow impeccable de Leonard Cohen, hier à Toulouse. Dans un Zénith aux ailes légèrement dégarnies (le prix des places plutôt excessif y a peut-être joué) le poète canadien, généreux et en forme, a tenu pendant plus de trois heures la scène, avec une maîtrise sans faille. Un concert aussi impeccable et sans pli que son costume noir et son feutre qu'il arborait. Un humble salut, chapeau bas, et la soirée démarre par Dance me to the end of love, une de ses chansons phares des années 80. Dans une ambiance de films de mafia d'avant-guerre, Leonard, tel un truand magnifique, envoûte vite son public multigénérationnel grâce à sa voix de velours (qui n'a rien perdu avec l'âge), à la maîtrise de ses six musiciens ou à la beauté de ses trois choristes féminines. Suive une ribambelle de ses succès comme No cure for love ou Everybody Knows, ou le sublime Who by fire aux arrangements orientaux et troublants.

Séducteur
Dans la première partie du concert, il laisse ses musiciens s'exécuter. Lui, sans guitare, tour à tour séducteur, avec le regard fixé sur ses choristes, ou bien mélancolique, les paupières baissées, Leonard Cohen sonne « toutes les cloches qui peuvent encore sonner » On le sent heureux d'être là, au milieu d'un public qui l'estime. Really appreciate. Calme, zen, il s'efface même pour laisser
son étroite collaboratrice depuis des années, Sharon Robinson, nous transporter dans les « Boogie streets ». Ses premiers tubes, il les joue surtout en deuxième partie : une Suzanne vite expédiée entre une Avalanche saisissante et des Sœurs de miséricorde enjouées. Le public remarque surtout Hallelujah ou bien La chanson du partisan. Hier, comme dans toutes ses dates françaises, Leonard sait qu'avec lui, il aura toujours « la France entière ».
GOOGLE TRANSLATION
Published on 10/07/2009 08:51 | Benedict Fernandes
The irresistible Leonard Cohen

DDMShow impeccable Leonard Cohen yesterday in Toulouse. In a Zenith wings slightly bald (ticket prices are rather too may have played) the Canadian poet, and generous in form, held for more than three hours on the scene with a seamless control. A concert also impeccable and fold his black suit and felt that he wore. A humble salvation, hat low, and the evening starts with Dance me to the end of love, one of his songs 80 years headlights. In an atmosphere of mafia films before the war, Leonard, like a gangster beautiful, captivating the audience quickly through multigenerational velvet voice (which has not lost with age), control of its six musicians or the beauty of its three female singers. Follow a string of successes like No cure for love or Everybody Knows, or the sublime Who by fire arrangements Oriental and disturbing.

Seducer
In the first part of the concert, he lets his musicians performed. He, without guitar, by turns seductive, with eyes fixed on his singers, or melancholy, eyelids lowered, Leonard Cohen rings "all the bells that still can ring" We feel happy to be here in the middle of a public appreciation. Really appreciate. Calm, Zen, he goes even to leave
his close collaborator for many years, Sharon Robinson, transport us to the "Boogie Street". His first pipe, he plays in the second part: a fast Suzanne Avalanche sent between a striking and playful Sisters of Mercy. The public comment or especially Hallelujah Channels partisan. Yesterday, as in all his dates French, Leonard knows that he will always be "the whole of France."
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
shirlietraynor

Post by shirlietraynor »

Yes, Avalanche was there and the concert was excellent.
If Margaret from Ullapool reads this can she get in touch with Shirlie and Myles - she was last seen heading for Mr Cohen's autograph!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene

burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

bridger15 wrote:Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

---Arlene
Hi Arlene, just an idea, would it be possible to post a category at the top pf the board where everyone could post the priestly blessings like the one for the set lists? Save you having to repeat your message?

Regards,
BV.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

hi Arlene, found this for you...hope it helps with regard to the blessings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxe5xvveYEs

Regards
BV
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

burningviolin wrote:
bridger15 wrote:Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

---Arlene
Hi Arlene, just an idea, would it be possible to post a category at the top pf the board where everyone could post the priestly blessings like the one for the set lists? Save you having to repeat your message?

Regards,
BV.
Thanks for your suggestion. At this point, I am just trying to see if this kind of compilation is workable or of interest to others. Perhaps, it may be just my own personal thing. When I realized what LC was doing at the end of a concert - and it took me a while to clue in - I was captivated. One of the blessings he invoked in Germany, "Be as lucky as Volkswagen" is so charming.
Also, I see Maarten still has to remind fans in some individual concert threads to post the Set Lists
Youtube videos of the closing are also a great source. However, they are not that common.
Thanks again and stay tuned...

Moderator-in-charge: What do you think?
Arlene, I don't see a problem in creating a special thread for all the Four Priestly Blessings, so go ahead! // Maarten

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

burningviolin wrote:hi Arlene, found this for you...hope it helps with regard to the blessings...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxe5xvveYEs
Regards
BV
Fabulous youtube of the closing! This is my first time viewing/hearing LC speak those special words, "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierai", a refrain from the traditional, "À la clairefontaine".

(one translation) http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=141&c=22

MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,

Thanks for posting the newspaper review of the concert. These google translations are so highly entertaining :lol: .

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nice video by "TheOlive31" on YouTube of "First We Take Manhattan."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhwnaTCsuw

I love the interaction between Leonard and Javier at approx. 4:19.

And we see a bit of Leonard's skip off the stage at the end.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Sounds like this was a great concert. Maarten and I would really appreciate someone posting a set list. Thanks.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sandrine1

Post by sandrine1 »

hello,

I was lucky to be at the 2d row and to see that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGsyqsujWU

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”