CONCERT REPORT: Antwerp, July 4

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Duc

CONCERT REPORT: Antwerp, July 4

Post by Duc »

Just got back from the concert in Antwerp...

sublime...

Thank you Mr. Cohen for tonight and for a lifetime of music.

Jan
Ninotschka

Antwerp - Who was the concert dedicated to?

Post by Ninotschka »

First of all, this is my first time posting, so mods feel free to move if this isn't the right place. :)

Tonight was incredible. Absolutely wonderful. Hallelujah made me cry.

I heard Leonard Cohen say "with your permission, I would like to dedicate this concert to the memory of... (?) [I didn't catch the word as the crowd began to applause]" and once again at the end of the concert "may the soul of (?) rest in peace."

What did you understand?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers. It's strange that I'm from Brussels and read Belgian newspapers but hadn't heard about her death...
Last edited by Ninotschka on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Womanfromaroom

Re: Antwerp - Who was the concert dedicated to?

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Hi ninotschka,

welcome to the forum! Although I wasn't in Antwerp (even if I would have liked to very much!), I guess it might have been dedicated to famous Belgian singer-songwriter Yasmine? Cf. the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15574
It would be a great gesture by Leonard, and very characteristic of him, too!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Jokerman

Re: Antwerp - Who was the concert dedicated to?

Post by Jokerman »

Hey,

It was Yasmine. She committed suicide a week ago over a lost love. She recorded an entire album of LC songs in Flemish (Dutch), so that is the reason why he dedicated the concert to her. She was burried last thursday. It is also for that reason I think that he announced it just before 'Ain't No Cure for Love'...

Setlist:

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting For The Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
The Partisan (fabulous version!!!)
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take This Waltz

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will

Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You

(Wither Thou Goest)

Taken literally form the playlist, kindly provided to me by the cameraman on the left!!

Review follows shortly, thanks Jarkko for helping me on first row tickets!!!!

John
Last edited by Jokerman on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruges - July, 10
Brussels - Oct., 20
Antwerp - July, 4
quirijn

Concert impression ANTWERP

Post by quirijn »

Dear all,
I had a great night last night in Antwerp.It is sundaymorning now and although I went to bed around 2.30( I had to drive back to The Hague-Holland) I couldnot sleep anymore.It was again a warm sweat night and I could see Leonard swaeting too.He took off his jacket after a few numbers and when he left for the pause his back was totally wet.In my place (i'm sitting in a wheelchair) it was quite cool and not very warm.The concert was great, but I remember that I was more surprised last year in Amsterdam when everything was new and there were no expectations.What surprised me most was the voice of leonard :beautiful, and golden.I never heard his voice so good.In the setlist I missed A 1000 kisses deep and My gipsy wife, but there were beautiful versions of The partisan and Famous blue raincoat.
The webb sisters had their hair put on and made their gymnastics.Sharon had some problems with her voice.Leonard introduced his band only twice and at the end he thanked the sound and lightmen(and the son of Rosco) and he mentioned Yasmine twice (although I did not know her)
My evening ended perfect when at the parkingplace at 12 oçlock my friends started to sing :today it is my 59th birthday.I never had a better start then with this concert.
Hans de Rijke
Womanfromaroom

Re: Concert impression ANTWERP

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Happy birthday, Hans! Indeed, what a perfect way to start it off... ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Antwerp, July 4

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Opa Gieke

Post by Opa Gieke »

In just two words : Amazing Concert.

I want to thank LC for being in my life for the last 40 years. Since I heard his first record in 1967 I understand that his music was my music ! His beautiful songs and the poetry of those songs, means a lot to me. Thank you...

Gie
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

Great concert last night and indeed it was dedicated to Yasmine( may her spirit rest in peace, as leonard sayed)
I was so lucky to see him again, 3 times in less than a year, and he's getting better and better every time. For me this was the best, good music, the best musicians and Leonard in good shape , very good seats in front! what more can you wish for...
Hope to see you again Leonard. you're the best and nothing's gonna change that.
Greetings to all Leonard lovers, Ingrid
Elanor

Post by Elanor »

Yesterday was so amazing. He deserved every single person standing up for him (a couple of times :D ). Leonard Cohen was fantastic!
gui01

Post by gui01 »

For those who were at the Antwerp concert and payed attention to the music played before the concert and during the intermission: that was indeed the record that Yasmine released in 2004 with only LC covers, entitled "Vandaag (het morgen van gisteren)", which is Dutch for "Today (the tomorrow of yesterday)".

The funeral of Yasmine took place in Antwerp on friday July 3 and one of the songs that was played during the very emotional ceremony was LC's "Famous blue raincoat". So it was a great gesture of LC to dedicate the Antwerp concert to the memory of the deplored singer. Someone must have briefed him, because I can hardly believe that LC knows every local artist who covers his songs. I can imagine that worldwide there must be hundreds of them...

The concert itself was once again fantastic, although at my opinion the sound in Brussels last October was better. But LC and the band were in a good shape and they enjoyed clearly the enthusiasm of the audience. For me personnally, the factor "surprise" was a bit less, but that's only due to myself: I should not have viewed so many times the splendid dvd "Live in London" ! ;-)

Greetings from Gui
Bart1979

Post by Bart1979 »

Jokerman wrote:Hey,

It was Yasmine. She committed suicide a week ago over a lost love. She recorded an entire album of LC songs in Flemish (Dutch), so that is the reason why he dedicated the concert to her. She was burried last thursday. It is also for that reason I think that he announced it just before 'Ain't No Cure for Love'...

Setlist:

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Hey Now Way Say GoodBye
Waiting For The Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
The Partisan (fabulous version!!!)
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take This Waltz

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will

Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You

(Wither Thou Goest)

Taken literally form the playlist, kindly provided to me by the cameraman on the left!!

Review follows shortly, thanks Jarkko for helping me on first row tickets!!!!

John
He didn't play 'Hey that's no way to say goodbye' yesterday. I think it was a great concert LC being in great shape and enjoying himself a lot. I had hoped for a few 'new' songs in the setlist though.

Bart
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,
Antwerp was brilliant (as always...) and it was great seeing so many forum members of which some I had never seen before in real life... (Midnight Choir, Nicholas, Tinkie, Pe, Wendy, Willy and Wijbe and so many others that I'm forgetting...).
I have uploaded some pictures on my FaceBook, have a look here if you want:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... c6787169d7

Take good care and see you all again some day!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
iris

Post by iris »

Thank you Maarten, so much, wonderful wonderful pictures! Take me 24 hours back...
I really missed a thousand kisses deep but was deeply moved by the Partisan, unbelievable passion!
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
ColinD

Post by ColinD »

Hello Maarten,

Great photos - glad you all had a wonderful time in Antwerp - can't wait for September!

Best wishes,
Colin & Meriel

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”